News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Synesthesia

Started by trdsf, September 06, 2017, 11:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Bringing this over from a digression on another thread.

Any other synesthetes out there beyond me and Absurd Atheist?  Do you associate sounds or numbers or concepts with colors and/or textures that are not implicit in them?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

If I do, I haven't been aware of it.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on September 06, 2017, 11:52:23 AM
If I do, I haven't been aware of it.
I don't think you can have it and not be aware of it.  It's constant, unconscious, and consistent.  For me, 1 is always white.  2 is always light gray with a dark shade.  3 is always medium gray with a dark outline.  And they've always been that way -- mine is grayscale for some reason, rather than in colors, and I only get it with letters and numbers.  Music takes up too many of my mental circuits, it's too all-engrossing, for me to spare any to experience sound as color -- at least that's my hypothesis.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Getting lost ... please describe how each of you are different from each other (in addition to being different from normies).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Not me. I don't see numbers as colors.
Good thing too. Last thing i want is my daltonism to make me incapable of doing basic sums.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 06, 2017, 04:47:22 PM
Good thing too. Last thing i want is my daltonism to make me incapable of doing basic sums.

But .. but ... then you would be qualified to work at the US Treasury, the Federal Reserve, the OMB etc
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 06, 2017, 11:23:10 AM
Bringing this over from a digression on another thread.

Any other synesthetes out there beyond me and Absurd Atheist?  Do you associate sounds or numbers or concepts with colors and/or textures that are not implicit in them?

I know what it is, but no I don't have that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 06, 2017, 04:47:22 PM
You know, I have never stopped to think if my grayscale relationship with numbers has anything to do with my ability to do reasonably complex math in my head.  There may be some subconscious pattern-matching going on.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 07, 2017, 10:28:55 AM
You know, I have never stopped to think if my grayscale relationship with numbers has anything to do with my ability to do reasonably complex math in my head.  There may be some subconscious pattern-matching going on.

I had a friend who could basically add numbers on a long list as fast as he could read tye.  I couldn't.  We both just thought he was really good at arithmatic.  Maybe I should rethink that.  When you don't have that, you don't think about it much.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2017, 09:20:46 PM
I had a friend who could basically add numbers on a long list as fast as he could read tye.  I couldn't.  We both just thought he was really good at arithmatic.  Maybe I should rethink that.  When you don't have that, you don't think about it much.
It helps for remembering number sequences, since I 'see' a sort of barcode pattern as well as hold the numbers in my head.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 08, 2017, 12:36:48 PM
It helps for remembering number sequences, since I 'see' a sort of barcode pattern as well as hold the numbers in my head.

One problem I hear for young people with synesthesia ... is they think their condition is the normal one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 08, 2017, 12:36:48 PM

Are you claiming to read barcode mentally?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 05:24:44 AM
Are you claiming to read barcode mentally?
Oh, no.  This is just an effect of seeing numbers in shades of gray -- a long number is kind of like a barcode in my synesthetic way of processing it and gives me one extra handle on dealing with large numbers.

I can't read product codes off packages -- although that is a fixed code and probably could be learned relatively easily.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 11, 2017, 08:45:45 AM
Oh, no.  This is just an effect of seeing numbers in shades of gray -- a long number is kind of like a barcode in my synesthetic way of processing it and gives me one extra handle on dealing with large numbers.

I can't read product codes off packages -- although that is a fixed code and probably could be learned relatively easily.
\

It could be learned with great effort.  Like any symbolic writing.  But shades of gray makes sense.  I was just thinking about shades of gray and explaining false colors to a friend.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 08:54:21 AM
\

It could be learned with great effort.  Like any symbolic writing.  But shades of gray makes sense.  I was just thinking about shades of gray and explaining false colors to a friend.

AI won't have synesthesia, it will have PhotoShop ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.