News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What being a Christian "Was" like

Started by Game Master, April 22, 2016, 02:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Carson

Quote from: reasonist on May 07, 2016, 11:39:55 AM
Yes! This is a 'discussion' forum. This Carson dude does not discuss, he preaches and hopes something is gonna stick. Then he can go to the next forum and brag how he converted numerous Atheists on this forum.
Unfortunately people like him have been the source of division, prejudice and conflict for a loooong time. And it's always the same pattern: use what's useful, ignore what's not. Repeat garbage often enough and eventually it sounds plausible. I can't be bothered anymore pointing out the obvious to a blind man, so from now on the ignore button is activated.

As you, more than many others, may have noticed, I'm happy to interact with you by responding to your posts point-by-point. I'm doing so now, for example.

Sometimes, it is necessary to provide long responses to short questions because the nature of the question requires me to do so.

Some barrels contain fish that need to be shot.

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on May 07, 2016, 11:39:55 AM
Yes! This is a 'discussion' forum. This Carson dude does not discuss, he preaches and hopes something is gonna stick. Then he can go to the next forum and brag how he converted numerous Atheists on this forum.
Unfortunately people like him have been the source of division, prejudice and conflict for a loooong time. And it's always the same pattern: use what's useful, ignore what's not. Repeat garbage often enough and eventually it sounds plausible. I can't be bothered anymore pointing out the obvious to a blind man, so from now on the ignore button is activated.

It is called throwing jello (a good analogy to theology) against a wall, and seeing what sticks.  There might be a law against that though.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Randy Carson

Quote from: Baruch on May 07, 2016, 05:31:51 PM
It is called throwing jello (a good analogy to theology) against a wall, and seeing what sticks.  There might be a law against that though.

And happily, some does stick, thanks be to God.

Most atheists who become Christians will admit that it was some apologetics argument or two that started the thinking process that led to conversion.

No one here will admit that, of course....not even to themselves perhaps.

But seeds of doubt about atheism are being planted even if they do not bear fruit for many years.

(Screams of protest will be posted in response to this.)

Baruch

Once one transcends certainty and doubt ... it kind of immunizes one ;-)

Back when Jesuits were the real McCoy ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAoT2ktM2H0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 07, 2016, 05:50:17 PM
And happily, some does stick, thanks be to God.

Most atheists who become Christians will admit that it was some apologetics argument or two that started the thinking process that led to conversion.

No one here will admit that, of course....not even to themselves perhaps.

But seeds of doubt about atheism are being planted even if they do not bear fruit for many years.

(Screams of protest will be posted in response to this.)
I think you mistake gales of laughter with protest.  By all means keep on, keepen' on.  I know that you are, oh so close, to making me stop thinking and just lapping up your pablum.  Oh yeah---oh so close.  Chew toys are fun!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Randy Carson

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 07, 2016, 08:03:30 PM
I think you mistake gales of laughter with protest.  By all means keep on, keepen' on.  I know that you are, oh so close, to making me stop thinking and just lapping up your pablum.  Oh yeah---oh so close.  Chew toys are fun!

I'm happy to entertain you, Mike. What would this subforum be without someone for you to denigrate?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: reasonist on May 02, 2016, 11:28:41 AM
The three stages of a discussion with the pious. It happens every time I debate a self deceiver;

A) Denial         whatever fact is brought up, it is readily dismissed or ignored
B) Accusations     the moral inferiority of non believers, Hitler, Stalin etc. etc. same old same old
C) Insults          when everything else fails to convince, personal attacks follow

This Carson poster is a prime example of this. Arrogance, insults and avoidance mark his posts. Maybe he is related to Ben Carson, the neurosurgeon that ran for POTUS, who said that the Egyptians built the pyramids to hold their grain.
What else is there for these folks? Their arguments by nature are thousands of years old. I feel like we are on the winning side intellectually and on the losing side politically. It is however a very interesting social study to follow someone like Carson, the wiggling, the change of subjects, the ignoring of facts. The progress in science has made religion obsolete in terms of explanations. Now faith is just a personal crutch for the insecure and frightened. And it surely shows.
Don't mind the insults Mike, you know the source...
I have faith. It isn't a crutch in any way. How can striving to do what is right at all times regardless of scenario be considered a crutch? Also; what would I be scared of? Seems to me the ones who reality is lost on and the ones who are scared are the same ones who are misdirected by self, and depend on meds to cope with the gross misdirection in their life and to nullify the natural effects of said misdirection. In other words delusion and denial seem to be the standard for many. Those same many claim Faith to cause willful ignorance, weakness, and general lack of intelligence, while they display their own.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on May 02, 2016, 11:37:54 AM
That sounds more plausible then him actually rising from the dead. It wouldn't be the first time religions lied about stories to make their fables make sense.
What would their motive have been?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 02, 2016, 11:44:44 AM
You are such an idiot. Do you believe what all the other religions' ridiculous claims too? No, of course not, because you've convinced yourself that your religion is somehow special. It's not.
By actually reading scripture of other religions I have found that they do all coincide on morals, and the direction of man by the will of GOD.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Peace

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 08, 2016, 07:45:56 AM
By actually reading scripture of other religions I have found that they do all coincide on morals, and the direction of man by the will of GOD.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Peace

Hello, Pops. I don't remember seeing you here before.

What does this have to do with the credibility of the other religions? The context of what I was saying was this:

Claim: To say that the apostles all lied is ridiculous! What are you, a conspiracy theorist?

Dispute: I should not trust other documents from religious leaders any less than I should trust yours.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Randy Carson

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 08, 2016, 10:42:09 AM

What does this have to do with the credibility of the other religions? The context of what I was saying was this:

Claim: To say that the apostles all lied is ridiculous! What are you, a conspiracy theorist?

Dispute: I should not trust other documents from religious leaders any less than I should trust yours.

Pops can respond for himself, but I would like to comment, also.

One theory about the claims of resurrection is that the apostles all KNEW that Jesus was dead but they lied about this in order to start a new movement which became Christianity. This requires a conspiracy to be established and maintained, and there are numerous reasons I could give to show why this not probable. Plausible, sure, but not probable.

As for your dispute, sure. Test all the major religions to see which can provide the best support for their foundational stories. Christianity is based on an event...not a belief...but an event. Either Jesus was raised or he was not. Judge it by the evidence we can offer to convince you of its historicity.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 08, 2016, 11:11:21 AM
Pops can respond for himself, but I would like to comment, also.

One theory about the claims of resurrection is that the apostles all KNEW that Jesus was dead but they lied about this in order to start a new movement which became Christianity. This requires a conspiracy to be established and maintained, and there are numerous reasons I could give to show why this not probable. Plausible, sure, but not probable.

As for your dispute, sure. Test all the major religions to see which can provide the best support for their foundational stories. Christianity is based on an event...not a belief...but an event. Either Jesus was raised or he was not. Judge it by the evidence we can offer to convince you of its historicity.

Was Muhammed a real, historical figure? Should I trust everything that is said in the religious documents surrounding the events if his life? No. And I will not believe the Bible either. Neither has a shred of evidence to support it.

Also, I don't know why you quoted me, since you didn't answer my question anyway.
--Fulke Greville--

Randy Carson

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 08, 2016, 11:19:56 AM
Was Muhammed a real, historical figure? Should I trust everything that is said in the religious documents surrounding the events if his life? No. And I will not believe the Bible either. Neither has a shred of evidence to support it.

Muhammed was a real, historical figure as was Siddhartha Guatama and Baha'u'llah among many others who have started religious movements.

The question is whether or not you find their claims to be sufficient to move you to become a follower.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 08, 2016, 11:37:52 AM
Muhammed was a real, historical figure as was Siddhartha Guatama and Baha'u'llah among many others who have started religious movements.

The question is whether or not you find their claims to be sufficient to move you to become a follower.

No, their not. And neither is the claim that God created imperfect beings, punished them for being imperfect beings, sent himself in the form of one of his imperfect beings as the only one capable of living up to his impossible standards, died, rose from the grave, and somehow used his self-sacrifice as an excuse to forgive us for being imperfect, but only if we have faith that all of these things are true.
--Fulke Greville--

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 08, 2016, 10:42:09 AM

Hello to you too.😊

Was just saying that though most "faithful" will attest to "their god" and direction is true and others are there for not is a product of greed, fear, and or hate. I posit that attempting to discern any dividing features of proclaimed god is not profitable towards the peaceable continued advancement of existence as we know it, but studying and confirming the direction of man by the will of GOD (whatever the cultural name given by man) is actually evidence for the nature of GOD, man, and the veracity of such.

Peace