News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What being a Christian "Was" like

Started by Game Master, April 22, 2016, 02:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Carson

Quote from: Baruch on May 06, 2016, 06:43:54 AM
Unfortunately he is all talking points and no genuine engagement.  A Sunday political news TV show has fewer talking points.

I have started several threads. Feel free to test my "genuine engagement" all you want in any of them.
Some barrels contain fish that need to be shot.

Baruch

I will when you will.  You are like a reporter, interviewing someone in a language you don't understand.  But convinced that you are from a superior society/group because of your knowledge of your own language, and how you dress.  Rudyard Kipling kind of reporter.

Miss USA needs to convert to dressing more modestly.  Not necessarily a chador though.  Or a Catholic habit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 06, 2016, 07:04:37 PM
I will when you will.  You are like a reporter, interviewing someone in a language you don't understand.  But convinced that you are from a superior society/group because of your knowledge of your own language, and how you dress.  Rudyard Kipling kind of reporter.

Miss USA needs to convert to dressing more modestly.  Not necessarily a chador though.  Or a Catholic habit.
Actually, Baruch, she need to add many more pounds.  She looks like a Twiggy wannabe.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2016, 05:50:20 AM
Preaching to atheists serves no point.  It's not like Randy cares about our souls.  He just wants us to agree with him.  His pointless preaching is disguised as "debate", but his motive is proving to himself that he has no weakness of faith...  Or he's just not capable of logical reasoning and he actually thinks he's on to something.

Only those with weak faith fear those with no faith.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 06, 2016, 07:10:21 PM
Only those with weak faith fear those with no faith.

He stated his purpose is to sharpen his rhetorical Ginsu knives.  The problem with too sharp a blade, as the mother of my HS friend found out, is that it can cut you just as fast as it can cut other things.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

marom1963

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2016, 05:50:20 AM
Preaching to atheists serves no point.  It's not like Randy cares about our souls.  He just wants us to agree with him.  His pointless preaching is disguised as "debate", but his motive is proving to himself that he has no weakness of faith...  Or he's just not capable of logical reasoning and he actually thinks he's on to something.
That's just it - many of them do think that they are on to something, in the same way that people who are on ecstasy think that they are on to something when they start having random sex w/anyone and everyone nearby: oh, let me worship a being who made me and supposedly loves me but who will toss me into Hell if I put a foot wrong, even though he made me imperfect, when he had the option of making me perfect but chose not to do so - let me worship this being, groveling for every little favor, hoping w/every fiber that I wind up in Heaven after I die, where, for all eternity, I will join the chorus and sing his praises - because the all-perfect, all-knowing, all-powerful Creator of Everything is so small and insecure a being that he needs that - a chorus of billions of souls who do nothing all day but sing his praises, and the angels who do that now are not enough for him. That sounds like a good idea! Face it, religion is a more potent drug than ecstasy - or heroin - or crack - or all of them combined.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Mike Cl

Quote from: marom1963 on May 07, 2016, 07:24:13 AM
Face it, religion is a more potent drug than ecstasy - or heroin - or crack - or all of them combined.
Verily!  I say unto you!  Yep,  yep,yep!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Randy Carson

Quote from: marom1963 on May 07, 2016, 07:24:13 AM
That's just it - many of them do think that they are on to something, in the same way that people who are on ecstasy think that they are on to something when they start having random sex w/anyone and everyone nearby: oh, let me worship a being who made me and supposedly loves me but who will toss me into Hell if I put a foot wrong, even though he made me imperfect, when he had the option of making me perfect but chose not to do so - let me worship this being, groveling for every little favor, hoping w/every fiber that I wind up in Heaven after I die, where, for all eternity, I will join the chorus and sing his praises - because the all-perfect, all-knowing, all-powerful Creator of Everything is so small and insecure a being that he needs that - a chorus of billions of souls who do nothing all day but sing his praises, and the angels who do that now are not enough for him. That sounds like a good idea! Face it, religion is a more potent drug than ecstasy - or heroin - or crack - or all of them combined.

Wow. You managed to check off quite a few boxes from the main points of the standard atheist rant.

Kind of impressive really.

It wouldn't be so impressive if we actually broke it down line by line, though. But that kind of analysis leads to uncomfortable realizations, so best leave it alone.

SGOS

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 07, 2016, 09:57:46 AM
It wouldn't be so impressive if we actually broke it down line by line, though. But that kind of analysis leads to uncomfortable realizations, so best leave it alone.

Translation:  "I'm at a loss for the moment, but I don't want to admit it."

Randy Carson

Quote from: SGOS on May 07, 2016, 10:12:22 AM
Translation:  "I'm at a loss for the moment, but I don't want to admit it."

Correct translation: I'm not going to waste my time on a drive-by shotgun blast of ideas. Whack-A-Mole is a kid's game, and I don't play it.

Let me know if you want to have a serious discussion.

SGOS

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 07, 2016, 11:03:30 AM
Correct translation: I'm not going to waste my time on a drive-by shotgun blast of ideas. Whack-A-Mole is a kid's game, and I don't play it.

Randy, if you are here trying to avoid a crisis of faith by proving yourself, don't worry.  You see, your personal crisis of faith will only be a crisis for the other people in your church. For you, it will be the lifting of a great burden.  Come on board.  We are here to help.

Flanker1Six

A Giant Omnipotent Dog..............................all powerful...................all knowing.......................all wonderful.    Master of the Universe.

"It" wants us to behave in certain ways, engage in certain and specific tasks, and think certain thoughts in certain ways.  Being all powerful, it would take no effort, in fact a negative of effort, to ensure every last one of us got the message in clear and unequivocal terms DIRECTLY FROM THE SOURCE.   

But nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo.....................we have to hear it from YOU.   Or, someone like you, who heard it from some guy (the very same guy, no doubt,  who was passing that joint around as we waited to go out and get our high school diplomas), who read it in a book written by some other guy (or in some cases by many hundreds of some guys--none of whom can be verified as the actual author), several hundred to several thousand years ago. 

And.............................when I don't behave in a certain way, or engage in certain and specific tasks, or think certain thoughts in certain ways  I only hear and see the thunder of silence, and darkness of absence from the Dog (DOG-GOD.............divinely symmetrical wouldn't you say?) when it would again; take a negative of effort by an all powerful entity to get me right. 

Instead......................what I get is you  :whip:, or someone like you :whip:, .................................well; you get the drift. 

If it's so powerful, and it's way is so true and imperative...............................why does it need you, or someone like you, as a mouth piece. 

Then there's the issue of THE WAY being so obvious, true, and right that all three of the monosuperstitions are totally monolithic in their righteous harmony of thought and action......................you know...................like in Syria, Iraq, San Bernadino, the Balkans, the Caucasus...............places like that.   

HONEY!!!   Have you seen my tin snips and AK....................I have to counsel those _______________________on their misinterpretations of ________!  It's so nice and rewarding to help the lost get back on the path!    :high5:

The ironic part of all this?    YOU'RE hearing it from SOME GUY...............who heard it from some other guy.........................who read it in an old book written by who the **** knows who way back when.   There's that divine symmetry again!   :2thumbs:

GOD WILLS IT!!!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 07, 2016, 11:03:30 AM

You????  And a serious discussion????  HA--what a joke both you and your 'serious' discussion has turned out to be!  Willfully ignorant and blinded by faith.  You--pure and simple.

Randy Carson

Quote from: SGOS on May 07, 2016, 11:10:56 AM
Randy, if you are here trying to avoid a crisis of faith by proving yourself, don't worry.  You see, your personal crisis of faith will only be a crisis for the other people in your church. For you, it will be the lifting of a great burden.  Come on board.  We are here to help.

If you need to know the truth, come on over to the forum at Catholic Answers. We've helped a lot of lost souls find their way.

http://forums.catholic.com/

reasonist

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 07, 2016, 11:19:39 AM
You????  And a serious discussion????  HA--what a joke both you and your 'serious' discussion has turned out to be!  Willfully ignorant and blinded by faith.  You--pure and simple.

Yes! This is a 'discussion' forum. This Carson dude does not discuss, he preaches and hopes something is gonna stick. Then he can go to the next forum and brag how he converted numerous Atheists on this forum.
Unfortunately people like him have been the source of division, prejudice and conflict for a loooong time. And it's always the same pattern: use what's useful, ignore what's not. Repeat garbage often enough and eventually it sounds plausible. I can't be bothered anymore pointing out the obvious to a blind man, so from now on the ignore button is activated.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire