News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What being a Christian "Was" like

Started by Game Master, April 22, 2016, 02:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Synods don't have the power to exonerate criminals.  People died in those Mafia riots.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Randy Carson

Quote from: Baruch on May 05, 2016, 07:09:20 AM
Synods don't have the power to exonerate criminals.  People died in those Mafia riots.

Say what you like, Baruch. Damasus was validly elected, a synod found him guilty of nothing, and he was pope.

More to the point, nothing in this calls the apostolic succession of the papacy into question.
Some barrels contain fish that need to be shot.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 01, 2016, 11:00:09 AM
But in my own experience, most Christians are far more knowledgeable about the doctrines of the faith than the former Christians who now consider themselves to be atheists.

Which is a blatant lie.

If that was the case, secularism and atheism wouldn't get a huge boost world wide in the last 200 years when masses started to get literate after the universal education policies pushed by the modern state as a result of French Revolution.

Bible in mother languages was the first step. Westerners gave a big battle to get their holy books in their own languages. Reading the bible and learning about christianity mostly served for secularism. Not Christianity. Infact this is one of the first reasons why Western culture got secular, but for example muslims didn't.

Christianity hangs on by brainwashing people from toddler/childhood. Please try to introduce people to Christianity without any brainwashing, after they develop mental fortitude and took an average secular education, let's see how long 'the ancient' Christianity will last.

:lol:

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Randy Carson

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 05, 2016, 02:35:47 PM
Which is a blatant lie.

I'm lying about my own experience? How does that work, drunk?

QuoteIf that was the case, secularism and atheism wouldn't get a huge boost world wide in the last 200 years when masses started to get literate after the universal education policies pushed by the modern state as a result of French Revolution.

So, you contend that the average "former Christian", who proudly boasts of giving up thinking about are studying religion in grade school, knows more about Christian doctrine than those who are still going to church, listening to sermons and reading his bible regularly?

That's an interesting view.

QuoteChristianity hangs on by brainwashing people from toddler/childhood. Please try to introduce people to Christianity without any brainwashing, after they develop mental fortitude and took an average secular education, let's see how long 'the ancient' Christianity will last.

Cradle atheists, Muslims, Hindus, animists...folks with no childhood experience of Christianity at all...convert every day. So, we'll see.

SGOS

QuoteWhat being a Christian "Was" like.

For me it was kind of like being Randy, but without going out of my way to be so annoying.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 05, 2016, 02:52:36 PM
I'm lying about my own experience? How does that work, drunk?

No, you are defining your faith as 'truth', your feelings about your delusion as 'experience' and trying to impose it as a whole by calling it 'historical facts'.

That's why you are lying about christians knowing about bible and christianity; learning Christianity and reading the bible supporting Christianity. It does not. The more people really learn, the more they distant themselves from religions. They don't need to be atheists. They are many shades. (Hint: Theological 'knowledge' is not knowledge.)

The name is drunkenshoe. Use it.

QuoteSo, you contend that the average "former Christian", who proudly boasts of giving up thinking about are studying religion in grade school, knows more about Christian doctrine than those who are still going to church, listening to sermons and reading his bible regularly? That's an interesting view.

I'm not even saying that. I am saying without constant fear and brainwashing starting from early years and following in adulthood is enough to provide masses of religious people as a simple, first step in this age.

This is the central tenet of all religions. Instilling fear in to people when they are kids or when they are vulnerable; could be anything. The need of being a part of  agroup, finance, politics, belonging to a class...or right out the sheer moronity of 'I'll go to heaven!' Not your mythical crap being repeated over and over again to cripple brains and abuse children. Anyone who has the circumstances to get out, gets out at some point. And that starts with understanding waht religions are. Judasim, Christianity, Islam...

QuoteCradle atheists, Muslims, Hindus, animists...folks with no childhood experience of Christianity at all...convert every day. So, we'll see.

Islam is estimated as the fastest spreading religion on the planet. And it's an opposite culture for the most of the others in the world by language and practice. So I have no idea what 'we'll see', but please just try to get that the idea in my post above is that without childhood brainwashing, just an average secular education added in the balance, any religion would lose a significant amount of its members. There is no point in trying to deny that even for you people.

Also I have yet to meet these 'cradle atheists' converting to religions left and right as claimed by Christians and Muslims in similar discussions.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

reasonist

"Cradle atheists, Muslims, Hindus, animists...folks with no childhood experience of Christianity at all...convert every day. So, we'll see."

That would be a neat trick for Muslims. Headless bodies converting to christianity. It really shows that you are clueless with your statements. Leaving Islam is a death sentence. Keep trying...
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 05, 2016, 01:25:51 PM
Say what you like, Baruch. Damasus was validly elected, a synod found him guilty of nothing, and he was pope.

More to the point, nothing in this calls the apostolic succession of the papacy into question.

Other than blood thirsty Constantine ;-(

"Cradle atheists, Muslims, Hindus, animists...folks with no childhood experience of Christianity at all...convert every day. So, we'll see."  People change this way and that as they age and develop.  It is hard to predict anything, other than probably on average, the averages will stay pretty much the same.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

marom1963

Quote from: reasonist on May 05, 2016, 06:39:31 PM
"Cradle atheists, Muslims, Hindus, animists...folks with no childhood experience of Christianity at all...convert every day. So, we'll see."

That would be a neat trick for Muslims. Headless bodies converting to christianity. It really shows that you are clueless with your statements. Leaving Islam is a death sentence. Keep trying...
I find it amusing how difficult anyone who is educated finds it to hold onto his/her faith.I literally giggle over the contortions that they have to put themselves through to "justify" their belief in nonsense. More often than not, I get the feeling that they are trying to convince themselves as much as they are trying to convince me. Maybe I'm delusional, but even w/the average ignoramuses of the World, I often get the feeling that they are begging me to believe, so that they can go on believing - it's as if the fairy tale is no good if we don't all participate in the game of make believe.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Baruch

Quote from: marom1963 on May 05, 2016, 09:01:30 PM
I find it amusing how difficult anyone who is educated finds it to hold onto his/her faith.I literally giggle over the contortions that they have to put themselves through to "justify" their belief in nonsense. More often than not, I get the feeling that they are trying to convince themselves as much as they are trying to convince me. Maybe I'm delusional, but even w/the average ignoramuses of the World, I often get the feeling that they are begging me to believe, so that they can go on believing - it's as if the fairy tale is no good if we don't all participate in the game of make believe.

What is the point of playing "follow the leader" if there is only one kid?  The human brain can do any contortion ... it was said of the naturalist, Pliny the Elder, that he would believe six new impossible things before finishing breakfast!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: marom1963 on May 05, 2016, 09:01:30 PM

Preaching to atheists serves no point.  It's not like Randy cares about our souls.  He just wants us to agree with him.  His pointless preaching is disguised as "debate", but his motive is proving to himself that he has no weakness of faith...  Or he's just not capable of logical reasoning and he actually thinks he's on to something.

Baruch

Unfortunately he is all talking points and no genuine engagement.  A Sunday political news TV show has fewer talking points.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Randy Carson

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 05, 2016, 03:54:15 PM
The name is drunkenshoe. Use it.

Sorry. Nicknames are often shortened versions of the full name. Tom for Thomas, Bob for Robert. Gert for Gertrude.

drunkenshoe is a lot of keystrokes.

QuoteAlso I have yet to meet these 'cradle atheists' converting to religions left and right as claimed by Christians and Muslims in similar discussions.

Perhaps you're not reading the right Christian magazines, then.

Randy Carson

Quote from: reasonist on May 05, 2016, 06:39:31 PM

Reported today:

First Muslim Miss USA, Rima Fakih, converts to Christianity
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/05/06/first-muslim-miss-usa-rima-fakih-converts-to-christianity.html

Randy Carson

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2016, 05:50:20 AM
Preaching to atheists serves no point.  It's not like Randy cares about our souls.  He just wants us to agree with him.  His pointless preaching is disguised as "debate", but his motive is proving to himself that he has no weakness of faith...  Or he's just not capable of logical reasoning and he actually thinks he's on to something.