Terrorist Attacks In Brussels

Started by drunkenshoe, March 22, 2016, 05:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

“Why Do They Hate Us?”
QuoteThe bombs went off in Brussels as they had previously in Paris and Madrid and Moscow and London, and dozens of other cities around the world, many of them outside the West (in India, the Philippines, Thailand, Burma, Mali, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Sudan). That omnidirectional hatred that prompted all those bombs and guns is drummed into Muslims from an early age, in the canonical texts that matter. Not every last Muslim may end up subscribing to that hate, but enough of them do so that it is not unreasonable to conclude that “they hate us” because that’s what they are taught to do.
But most Muslims are peaceful. That's all we need to know.

pr126

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2016, 06:47:03 PM
You just proved that all the terrorists are O J Simpson or Michael Jordan!
Do you turn up at funerals in a clown outfit making jokes?

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on March 25, 2016, 02:00:55 AM
“Why Do They Hate Us?”But most Muslims are peaceful. That's all we need to know.

Most Muslims might be peaceful, but there are enough violent Muslims that they are in a position to take over entire countries in the Mideast, and drive out hundreds of thousands of refugees who don't live up to the same violent standards required of those trying to establish a new order of Islam.  Even with opposition from the West and the Russian Military, they are making an impressive showing, and anyone not impressed with the strength of this pitiful  "small minority" might want to think a little more on just how unrepresentative of Islam this Islamic movement actually is.

drunkenshoe

Guys I keep forgetting to ask. Why do you call it ISIS? It's ISIL.

QuoteIn Arabic, the group is known as Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, or the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham. The term “al-Sham” refers to a region stretching from southern Turkey through Syria to Egypt (also including Lebanon, Israel, the Palestinian territories and Jordan). The group’s stated goal is to restore an Islamic state, or caliphate, in this entire area.

The standard English term for this broad territory is “the Levant.” Therefore, AP’s translation of the group’s name is the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or ISIL.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

American media is rather poor.  They should be speaking in proper Arabic when referring to this topic ;-)  Also Americans like simple solutions for complex answers, particularly if it involves using guns and bombs.  I like pr126's use of "jihadi" best.  At least it is Arabic, and not a confusing and mutating acronym.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

Politicians prefer to call them Daesh because it does not have the dreaded letter  "I" that it could be in any way connected with Islam.

They only fool themselves.

SGOS

Shortly after the group showed up, American News actually pointed out that that the acronym ISIL or ISIS was getting mangled.  In fact, if I remember, there were actually three acronyms floating around the media at the time.  The news was pointing out that Obama "preferred" (I think that was the word used) to refer to the group as ISIS (I think that was his preference), and there was some explanation (probably lame) of why he felt his was a more proper name.  The third mangle, which I can't recall, was also given an explanation why some other person of importance preferred that version.  For a short time the three variations were used interchangeably until the need for consistency somehow gravitated to ISIS, but I have never been sure which one is correct, nor could I have told anyone what the letters stood for.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on March 25, 2016, 06:46:58 AM
Even with opposition from the West and the Russian Military, they are making an impressive showing, and anyone not impressed with the strength of this pitiful  "small minority" might want to think a little more on just how unrepresentative of Islam this Islamic movement actually is.

Or they have never considered what's been happening in the region even once in their lives more than 'oh ME is fucked up man, crazies been killing each other forever' before it arrived to a level that affects their lives, while none of the Western governments that fucked region over and over again actually never gave a tiny bit of damn what would happen in the end to anyone-anywhere as long as IT PAID OFF good money, resource and politics?

Of course there are always alternative opinions. Gamma rays? No, God moves in mysterious ways? They fell from the sky? Oh I know, the 'scientist' -pr126 posted a while ago- is right. Some texts are 'measured' and found to possess 'high levels' of hatred and it turns people into 'monsters' when they touch or read it. Instantaneous reaction. Unbelievable phenomenon. You should read it. The 'research', not the texts.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

If I am not mistaken Obama is using ISIL though. May be I hear it wrong in a second language.

Levant is the whole region. For example I am living in Levant in a broader sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levantines_(Latin_Christians)

SGOS

Obama might use ISIL.  I wasn't sure, and without TV, I don't actually hear him that often.  The news cast I referred to was a long time ago, and mostly what I got out of it was "more confused" than where I was when I started out.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on March 25, 2016, 07:36:34 AM
Obama might use ISIL.  I wasn't sure, and without TV, I don't actually hear him that often.  The news cast I referred to was a long time ago, and mostly what I got out of it was "more confused" than where I was when I started out.

OK. Just I think ISIL is a better definition for these piece of shits as the geographical definition goes.

Also I just self analysed that I think as an art historian, someone who loves ancient human civilisations, the usage of the word ISIS annoys me to no end which is actually the name of an ancient Egyptian Goddess while this fuckers destroy any historical monuments on their path. She had that name for over 5000 years -part we know- and now when someone says ISIS only thing people get is death and atrocity. :sad2: It's like letting them changing history in a sense. I hate it.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on March 25, 2016, 07:17:33 AM
Politicians prefer to call them Daesh because it does not have the dreaded letter  "I" that it could be in any way connected with Islam.

They only fool themselves.

Daesh is also derogatory. But don't let reality get in the way of your agenda.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

So since we don't really know who these guys work for, and there are so many different groups, over the whole planet, who claim to be Muslim while doing terrorism ... how about this format "Jihadi-Lat:XXX,Long:YYY".  They have them in the Philippines and Thailand too, but I don't want to have to remember a 100 different acronyms ... that constantly change, and are created just to confuse the media.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Quote from: Shiranu on March 25, 2016, 11:31:11 AM
Daesh is also derogatory. But don't let reality get in the way of your agenda.
Do you have any idea what the Islamic texts teach about non believers?
ISIL demonstrate it daily.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on March 25, 2016, 01:47:57 PM
Do you have any idea what the Islamic texts teach about non believers?
ISIL demonstrate it daily.

Do you know how Americans are acculturated to view anyone who isn't American ... and many Americans that we would prefer were not Americans?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.