Tyler, Texas Man Has Found Fossils From Noah's Flood

Started by stromboli, March 17, 2016, 08:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 21, 2016, 11:55:02 AM
I didn't accuse you of being dishonest. I told you that you need to read the Bible.
You just lied by omission.
QuoteIf you have read other religious texts, I believe you will find glaring differences. One of these is fulfilled prophecy and future predictions.
They're all a steaming pile of mastodon do-do. I don't believe you can't see that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

ApostateLois

Quote from: Baruch on March 21, 2016, 01:10:15 PM
Seeing patterns in history, is like seeing dragons in cloud shapes.  A pleasant diversion.

Well, there is at least one pattern that keeps repeating: The tendency of people to believe any old thing they are told, so long as the word "God" is attached to it. :-/
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

aitm

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 21, 2016, 11:34:45 AM
I think you need to actually read the Bible

No boy, I have read the babble, perhaps you need to. This whole ignoring the shit where your god is a fucking pedophile and rapist monster is all good and cute when you're a fucking pedophile and rapist, but for those of us who have some respect for humanity which you don't…we find it kind of offensive. So take your piece of shit got and shove it up your little pink hole…I think that is what you really want from a god… a good buggerin, eh? You go boy!.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

LittleNipper

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 21, 2016, 07:23:44 PM
You just lied by omission. They're all a steaming pile of mastodon do-do. I don't believe you can't see that.

I cannot believe that you don't have anything better to do with your short little lifetime.

LittleNipper

Quote from: ApostateLois on March 21, 2016, 08:16:07 PM
Well, there is at least one pattern that keeps repeating: The tendency of people to believe any old thing they are told, so long as the word "God" is attached to it. :-/

Actually, it would seem that there are a number of people who have a tendency to believe anything as long as that belief affords them the luxury of doing whatever they want ---- atheists included.

AllRight

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 22, 2016, 12:36:50 AM
Actually, it would seem that there are a number of people who have a tendency to believe anything as long as that belief affords them the luxury of doing whatever they want ---- atheists included.

Actually as an atheist I feel more responsibility than the christians in my life to be a decent human being.  For example, my best friend whose husband is a god fearing "christian" is in church every Sunday and abuses her.  Another example the "christian" man in my office who is in church every Sunday also and cheats on his wife.  These are just a couple of examples of christians behaving horribly because they can claim they are imperfect humans and make mistake and can be forgiven if they just confess their sins and accept jesus.  Oh wait... abusing your wife isn't a sin in the bible is it?  Open to interpretation I guess. Even though my marriage is legal and not religious I would not cheat on or abuse my spouse... so before you go accusing atheist of believing what they want so they can do whatever they want to you might want to think about some of the hypocrites you know.

Baruch

Cheap grace is a problem for Protestants and modern Catholicism.  Real Christianity would be all over your private behavior, and most congregants would be in the penance program (no communion for you) or excommunicated.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 22, 2016, 12:29:17 AM
I cannot believe that you don't have anything better to do with your short little lifetime.
I see you admit you lied.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Old Testament "prophecies" were made up after the events. An enemy shows up to kill and disperse the people of Israel, some prophet then writes about God was obviously angry with them and caused it to happen. It's not unlike the stereotypical island men on TV, who worship the volcano god and claim that eruptions happen when that god's patience runs out. As for the supposed prophecies of Jesus, many of them had nothing to do with any Christ, and were plucked out of context to sound prophetic. The Jesus character was invented to fit Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah, and there is no evidence to prove that anything said about him is actually true. The Bible does not prove the Bible because the Bible says so.

Now, if you want to impress anyone here, how about you appeal to this God of yours and ask for some real proof. Jesus himself, according to the Bible, said that people after him will be given prophecies, as well as the ability to perform miracles even greater than the ones he performed. So then, ask God for a prophetic vision of the future. Ask him for specific knowledge, which when it comes to pass, will prove that he spoke to you. Pray to him and ask for this, but he will not answer you because there is no one listening.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

reasonist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 21, 2016, 07:23:44 PM
You just lied by omission. They're all a steaming pile of mastodon do-do. I don't believe you can't see that.

If we could reason with religious people, there wouldn't be any religious people.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: reasonist on March 23, 2016, 12:06:33 AM
If we could reason with religious people, there wouldn't be any religious people.
Rather like my favorite saying, "If sense were common we wouldn't need traffic laws."
PZ Myers

LittleNipper

Quote from: AllRight on March 22, 2016, 06:06:48 AM
Actually as an atheist I feel more responsibility than the christians in my life to be a decent human being.  For example, my best friend whose husband is a god fearing "christian" is in church every Sunday and abuses her.  Another example the "christian" man in my office who is in church every Sunday also and cheats on his wife.  These are just a couple of examples of christians behaving horribly because they can claim they are imperfect humans and make mistake and can be forgiven if they just confess their sins and accept jesus.  Oh wait... abusing your wife isn't a sin in the bible is it?  Open to interpretation I guess. Even though my marriage is legal and not religious I would not cheat on or abuse my spouse... so before you go accusing atheist of believing what they want so they can do whatever they want to you might want to think about some of the hypocrites you know.

There are far more individuals who have never been to church who abuse their spouses. My parents are Christians and my in-laws are Christian.  My parents married in 1948. My in-laws married in 1949. You do the math! My parents are still living. My father-in-law died last year. Society is not perfect, because humans are not perfect. However, I know of nowhere in the Bible where a man is told to beat his wife. And frankly, no one become a drunk, a thief, a whoremonger, or a wife/child abuser overnight!

And I find that many people who are "stuck" in an abusive relationship saw all the warning signs, but chose to ignore them for a sexually erotic relationship that they thought represents "true" LOVE. As was once said, "There is a sucker born every minute."

FinalSomnia

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 23, 2016, 01:34:30 PM
There are far more individuals who have never been to church who abuse their spouses. My parents are Christians and my in-laws are Christian.  My parents married in 1948. My in-laws married in 1949. You do the math! My parents are still living. My father-in-law died last year. Society is not perfect, because humans are not perfect. However, I know of nowhere in the Bible where a man is told to beat his wife. And frankly, no one become a drunk, a thief, a whoremonger, or a wife/child abuser overnight!

And I find that many people who are "stuck" in an abusive relationship saw all the warning signs, but chose to ignore them for a sexually erotic relationship that they thought represents "true" LOVE. As was once said, "There is a sucker born every minute."
You are a terrible human being with no understanding of how things are in the real world. Being stuck in an abusive relationship has nothing to do with "ignoring warning signs for sex." There are a number of things that happen - threats of violence or death; being made to feel that there is nowhere to go; and my personal favorite, only sticking to it because of the condemnation of a God who tells you that you shouldn't get divorced.

Your last line there is irony encapsulated.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

LittleNipper

Quote from: FinalSomnia on March 23, 2016, 01:48:42 PM
You are a terrible human being with no understanding of how things are in the real world. Being stuck in an abusive relationship has nothing to do with "ignoring warning signs for sex." There are a number of things that happen - threats of violence or death; being made to feel that there is nowhere to go; and my personal favorite, only sticking to it because of the condemnation of a God who tells you that you shouldn't get divorced.

Your last line there is irony encapsulated.

The Bible allows divorce. However, remarriage isn't condoned. And frankly, after a 3rd and 4th attempt, even a pagan might start to wonder.  Sorry, I do not agree with you. Unless a woman is raped, I see no reason for an individual to be pregnant outside of marriage. And if people who divorced were unable to remarry, perhaps a better effort would be made at finding that marriage made in heaven and not at a corner bar.

We do not live in a day of arranged marriages. However, most loving parents would likely do a far better job.

FinalSomnia

That's a lot of projection and assumption there about people who end up in abusive relationships on your part, which further underlines your lack of understanding of what goes on in the real world.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.