Tyler, Texas Man Has Found Fossils From Noah's Flood

Started by stromboli, March 17, 2016, 08:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leo

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 20, 2016, 07:05:30 PM
The real question: Who is in the Dark Ages and who is Enlightened. Not being able to read helped to usher in the Dark Ages. Being able to read the Bible in one's own language is what brought in the Renaissance. I would suggest many here are living in the shadows of someone else's interpretation of both the Universe and the Bible. They clearly have not come to an informed conclusion of their own investigation.
The real question is how often do you crap and fart ?
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Baruch

Nipper ... there is a problem with being too open minded ... the brain tends to fall out ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

The real question: Who is in the Dark Ages and who is Enlightened. Not being able to read helped to usher in the Dark Ages. Being able to read the Bible in one's own language is what brought in the Renaissance. I would suggest many here are living in the shadows of someone else's interpretation of both the Universe and the Bible. They clearly have not come to an informed conclusion of their own investigation.
The Renaissance happened despite the religious.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Yeah, you are correct.  But I never expected you to make such a confession.  So, what you need to do is grab your handy-dandy bible and read it.  Ooooops..............my bad, you would then have to come to an 'informed' conclusion--doubt you could ever reach that level.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

reasonist

I had no idea that one could cramp so much nonsense into so few words.
The dark ages got their name from the intellectual vacuum imposed by the church. Any scientific progress was stifled in an instant via torture and murder. We can only imagine what people like Copernicus, Leonardo d. Vinci or Galileo would have accomplished if they would have had the freedom to explore and actually publish their findings.

Again for the umpteenth time, the flood story did not originate from Moses. It is an embellished mythological story from 2,000 years before Moses. There was an actual 'flood' around 7,000 B.C. when the Black Sea rose and people living in the area had to relocate. Of course the story about a worldwide flood and an ark with animals is a pure invention, retold for thousands of years and written about in the Torah. Nothing original, nothing new.
I really don't know what it takes to get this into the skull of our resident sheep, other than a transplant of the ventrolateral frontal cortex.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

LittleNipper

Quote from: reasonist on March 20, 2016, 08:06:40 PM
I had no idea that one could cramp so much nonsense into so few words.
The dark ages got their name from the intellectual vacuum imposed by the church. Any scientific progress was stifled in an instant via torture and murder. We can only imagine what people like Copernicus, Leonardo d. Vinci or Galileo would have accomplished if they would have had the freedom to explore and actually publish their findings.

Again for the umpteenth time, the flood story did not originate from Moses. It is an embellished mythological story from 2,000 years before Moses. There was an actual 'flood' around 7,000 B.C. when the Black Sea rose and people living in the area had to relocate. Of course the story about a worldwide flood and an ark with animals is a pure invention, retold for thousands of years and written about in the Torah. Nothing original, nothing new.
I really don't know what it takes to get this into the skull of our resident sheep, other than a transplant of the ventrolateral frontal cortex.
And who exactly told you this? Where is it written? How do you know the story of the ark is only an invention?

reasonist

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 20, 2016, 11:07:22 PM
And who exactly told you this? Where is it written? How do you know the story of the ark is only an invention?

Nobody has to tell me this. There is much literature on this subject. Maybe if you want to read more than one book, start with The Epic of  Atramasis (Noah), it describes the flood the same way the Torah does.  The ark came to rest on a mountain, the bird, the whole shabang. All from ca 1,640 B.C

Then there is the Eridu Genesis from even earlier than that from ca. the 3rd millenium B.C. Same flood myth.

Also "The Epic of Gilgamesh" translated by Andrew George, an Akkadian account of the very same flood Moses is talking about. The fable is written in Cuneiform/Babylonian on clay tablets. The book not only shows pics of the tablets but also tells you which museums display them. Cuneiform was one of the first written languages along with Sumerian and Akkadian in ancient Mesopotamia. Measurements of the ark are given along with all the animals and this time it's Atram-hasis as Noah.

One of my favorite books is "Noah's Ark and the Ziusudra Epic: Sumerian Origins of the Flood Myth" by Robert Best

There are many books out on all of these subjects, it's up to you to read them.
And if you care to read up on other ancient myths, which the Torah, Bible and Quran copied, there are thousands. Everything from virgin births to crucifixion, resurrection, walking on water and so much more.
Of course you have to have a thirst for knowledge and WANT to find the truth.
But to state that the Bible is the inerrant word of a god is ridiculous in light of all the evidence to the contrary.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

An errant, trickster god then?  Mythology has those.  The guy I work with, his favorite Avengers character is Loki.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

LittleNipper, why do you feel the need to share your thoughts with atheists? Don't get me wrong, you are welcome. I am just simply curious. It's an honest question.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

LittleNipper

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 21, 2016, 08:18:25 AM
LittleNipper, why do you feel the need to share your thoughts with atheists? Don't get me wrong, you are welcome. I am just simply curious. It's an honest question.

My honest answer is; from whom is an atheist going to hear the Christian Gospel from, if not a Christian? It is not like your fellow atheists are inclined to present the Bible from the Christian perspective nor wish too. I have no problem answering questions such as yours.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 20, 2016, 11:07:22 PM
How do you know the Bible isn't an invention?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

LittleNipper

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 21, 2016, 10:44:55 AM
How do you know the Bible isn't an invention?

Well, it is God's invention but not contrived by man. I feel if you honestly read the Bible and compare it to other works, you will see differences. Even the Book of Mormon pales in comparison with the Bible ----- Yet where Bible verses have been plainly plagiarized there is a striking difference.

Mike Cl

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 21, 2016, 11:02:34 AM
Well, it is God's invention but not contrived by man. I feel if you honestly read the Bible and compare it to other works, you will see differences. Even the Book of Mormon pales in comparison with the Bible ----- Yet where Bible verses have been plainly plagiarized there is a striking difference.
A fictional character cannot invent anything.  Who told you that god was real?????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 21, 2016, 11:02:34 AM
Well, it is God's invention but not contrived by man. I feel if you honestly read the Bible and compare it to other works, you will see differences.
The parts of god demanding that babies be murdered and little girls be raped? You seem to skip "golly gee" past all the wonderful stuff your almighty god did and laugh at it. I have in my mind what a real god would be like, and it is nothing like that piece of shit you splay yourself too.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

LittleNipper

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 21, 2016, 11:18:42 AM
A fictional character cannot invent anything.  Who told you that god was real?????

Superman, and Zeus are examples of fictional characters. God is nothing like them, and unlike Metropolis and Olympus, Israel and Jerusalem are real places.