Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cassia

Finally caught the Harvey Weinstein flick, "She Said".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Said_(film)

If you ever saw Redford and Hoffman in "All the President's Men (1976)"....this brought me back to that with an updated cause.

Gawdzilla Sama

Watching DUNE II at home. Fifty plus years since I read the books the first time. Still fun. Dune Messiah should be a bit more wonky. Duncan Idaho, we miss you.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Abigail.  Got roped into it.  Basically a very watered-down Saw plus a very watered-down vampire movie.  Pretty bad.  'Nuff said.

SGOS

Civil War. It's hard to make a connection to current events, but it made me think about current events. While it had good ratings, the few criticisms were mostly about not being able to relate it to our current polarized government. The reasons for the conflict are not explained. But the best part of the film was that it did hold my attention, something that recent films haven't been doing well.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on Today at 04:45:35 AMThe reasons for the conflict are not explained.
Really??  Cause damn, there goes half the appeal.  Hard to get invested in a literally meaningless conflict.

I was holding off just because it hits a little too close to home right now.  Maybe in a year, it'll be more up my alley.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on Today at 09:08:50 AMReally??  Cause damn, there goes half the appeal.  Hard to get invested in a literally meaningless conflict.

I was holding off just because it hits a little too close to home right now.  Maybe in a year, it'll be more up my alley.
The writers and director made it a point to stay away from politics. However, as far as an action film goes, I got caught up in the drama more than most. I did expect the cause of the conflict to be revealed toward the end of the film, but it never was. It just ended, but the war was still taking place. I didn't know who was winning or who the good guys were. But it wasn't the first time I've left the theater wondering what just happened. I'd still recommend it, because it's better than most recent post pandemic films by a long shot.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on Today at 12:25:03 PMThe writers and director made it a point to stay away from politics.
A political war is literally the premise.  That would be like me writing about the holocaust and trying to stay away from politics.

Gawdzilla Sama

My hillbilly cousins are already pointing at that movie. "SEE!!!" At least it will be legal to shoot them if they try it.

Must buy more hollow points.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on Today at 12:59:23 PMA political war is literally the premise.  That would be like me writing about the holocaust and trying to stay away from politics.
The premise, such as it was, offered a lot of opportunity to expand the story into a much more powerful (and controversial) story. But it seemed like great effort was used to avoid doing that. Personally, I think it was a missed opportunity, but then I have no say in the matter.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on Today at 01:13:35 PMMy hillbilly cousins are already pointing at that movie. "SEE!!!" At least it will be legal to shoot them if they try it.

Must buy more hollow points.
You might need to use silver bullets...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on Today at 04:21:53 PMYou might need to use silver bullets...
Not going to waste precious metals on total idiots.
PZ Myers