News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 24, 2021, 09:21:27 AM
Oh yeah...I think you've mentioned it before. This is the third time, right?
Married four times, divorced once.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 24, 2021, 10:32:42 AM
Oh OK...Sorry to hear that.
"It was long ago and far away, and besides, the wench is dead."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 23, 2021, 07:17:33 AM
I only watch holiday movies near holidays. I don't watch movies while eating meals, snacks are okay. One intermission during the middle of the movie is acceptable. I don't watch movies with people who I know will not enjoy the genre.

My mom used to obsess over watching (and rewatching and rewatching and rewatching...) "It's a Wonderful Life" at Xmas.  That stopped when the rest of us turned it into an informal MST3K party.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on April 24, 2021, 04:29:54 PM
My mom used to obsess over watching (and rewatching and rewatching and rewatching...) "It's a Wonderful Life" at Xmas.  That stopped when the rest of us turned it into an informal MST3K party.  :D
That is a classic.  I thought it was OK, I don't want to watch it again.  There's lots better Christmas movies.

drunkenshoe

Aww...I loved that movie when I was a kid.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: SGOS on April 25, 2021, 03:24:16 AM
A lot of people do.  Grownups too.  I think it had something to do with Jimmy Stewart.  People just liked the guy.

Gawdzilla Sama

"Mortal Combat". Completely unsurprised by the ending.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 23, 2021, 07:17:33 AM
I don't watch movies with people who I know will not enjoy the genre.
It hasn't happened in years, and then you made this post a couple of days ago, without knowing that you were unleashing the demons of doom.  Apparently many people want to teach you what to like, by forcing you watch what you hate.  This is a very poor strategy to change a person's brain synapses and neural pathways that lead us to joy.  Now I want to scream to my brother-in-law, "Leave my synapses alone."  He told me today that I needed to watch this TV series called Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, which is fine, because these kinds of things often introduce you new things.  I didn't ask him what it was about.  I didn't think that was necessary.  I hate musicals and my brother-in-law loves them, and he knows this well.  Can't we just leave it at that?  When people start dancing and singing I go for the remote.  Sometimes I like dancing and singing, but not Broadway style in what is supposed to be a story.  The Wizard of Oz is OK, I suppose, in small doses because the story overrides the singing.  But I still like the book better without all he pomp.  I liked the Blues Brothers.  So I'll allow some wiggle room, but show tunes are not negotiable.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on April 25, 2021, 07:38:14 PM
It hasn't happened in years, and then you made this post a couple of days ago, without knowing that you were unleashing the demons of doom.  Apparently many people want to teach you what to like, by forcing you watch what you hate.  This is a very poor strategy to change a person's brain synapses and neural pathways that lead us to joy.  Now I want to scream to my brother-in-law, "Leave my synapses alone."  He told me today that I needed to watch this TV series called Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, which is fine, because these kinds of things often introduce you new things.  I didn't ask him what it was about.  I didn't think that was necessary.  I hate musicals and my brother-in-law loves them, and he knows this well.  Can't we just leave it at that?  When people start dancing and singing I go for the remote.  Sometimes I like dancing and singing, but not Broadway style in what is supposed to be a story.  The Wizard of Oz is OK, I suppose, in small doses because the story overrides the singing.  But I still like the book better without all he pomp.  I liked the Blues Brothers.  So I'll allow some wiggle room, but show tunes are not negotiable.

I generally don't like musicals either. But there are a very rare few instances where I can tolerate them. Most of the time, I don't even like the music, and I want to skip to the end of the song.

I don't know if one would consider "O Brother Where Art Thou" a musical. Wikipedia calls it a "crime comedy-drama," but that label doesn't feel satisfactory to me. The musical portions of the movie are very unique. Can't think of any musicals which use the same genres of music, with gospel, blues, and country filling its soundtrack. Also, the music doesn't feel intrusive. It's even worked into the plot, as the main characters accidentally find themselves creating a hit song in a band they started for convenience. The whole movie is weird and cryptic, and the music adds to the atmosphere, sometimes making it feel like a dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDEqgmGIVg
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

In the Blues Brothers, the music is absolutely essential to the plot.  This makes sense (to me).  It is also important that the music is personally satisfying.  In the classic Broadway musicals, the plot is irrelevant (to me).  It's serves as little more than an Ed Sullivan person announcing the next act, and they are acts I don't enjoy.  The singing is harsh to my ear, and in a cultivated outdated style that leaves me flat.  As a standardized art form it is what it is.  I love Chicago's Art Institute, but I pass some of the stuff on display.  I don't really care if it's there for other's enjoy or just contemplate, but I don't spend time on it.  These are my own standards of course.  I'm happy my brother-in-law loves musicals, but they annoy me.

I have seen musicals I enjoyed somewhat, some even skirt what I consider the classical centerpieces of the form, but it's rare enough that I can make a generalization.  I have a friend who has zero interest in science fiction.  I don't feel a great need to retrain him, although I can in no way understand his distaste at all.  And I think that was my issue today. 

Gawdzilla Sama

"Blues Brothers" is similar to "Cats", the music is a vehicle for the plot. The Cats demonstrate several kinds of basic dance style. Some friends of mine could rattle them off from memory, but not being gay I keep forgetting them.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 26, 2021, 09:39:25 AM
"Blues Brothers" is similar to "Cats", the music is a vehicle for the plot. The Cats demonstrate several kinds of basic dance style. Some friends of mine could rattle them off from memory, but not being gay I keep forgetting them.
I never saw Cats.  It was a category of entertainment that had burned me too many times.  My wife had different feelings about it and she and another woman decided to drive 200 miles to see Cats, and of course an overnight stay at a hotel.  I was fine with it, and felt lucky she had someone else to indulge her needs with.

Two weeks later the woman she went with came into my office with one of those 10 page catalogs that come occasionally in the mail, and she said with unusual authority, "You have to buy this music box for your wife at Christmas."  It was clearly not a recommendation, but at outright order, which I took seriously.  So I ordered the music box, and can't remember much about it.  I don't think it was cheap, and played in music box technology what I assumed must have been the music theme for Cats.  My wife had no idea this was happening, but on Christmas I gave her this little jewelry sized package which she opened wondering what it could be.  She took out the music box, opened it and started to cry and cry and cry as it played it's little melody.  And I have never before or since felt so proud of myself.

Different people like different things.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

SGOS

Yeah that was it.  It was a long time ago, but I remember the tune well.