Odoital1778412, is he...............

Started by Mike Cl, May 29, 2015, 10:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

gone???  If so, I guess we could say he was a delayed drive-by.  Came on, tried to recruit, failed, and bailed.  Not really surprised.  I must admit I am a little disappointed.  Would have liked to mine down to some of his bedrock ideas and figure out how he got them.  I think the clue is that he told us he gave himself to Jesus at 3.  Don't the religious thinkers tell us that if they can have a child til 6, they will keep them as adults?  Then what he said was looking for answers or actual studying of the issues, was really a search for 'spiritual armor'--searching for the 'correct' christian answers, not actual facts.  And answers for his particular brand of Christianity (whatever that is) vs all other brands of woo.  He seemed to have a decent temperament, but he gave up too easily. :)  Maybe he isn't a drive-by--just getting more gas. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

I have about as much interest in him as Antarctic tzizti fly mating habits. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

kilodelta

I think that they think we have never actually heard any of the stuff they use to convince themselves to have faith... that's why we don't believe... so, when their first attempt fails and is met with people more aware of the argument than themselves, they probably feel about the size of an Antarctic tzizti fly.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

SkyChief

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 29, 2015, 10:45:04 PM
gone???  If so, I guess we could say he was a delayed drive-by.  Came on, tried to recruit, failed, and bailed.  Not really surprised.  I must admit I am a little disappointed.  Would have liked to mine down to some of his bedrock ideas and figure out how he got them.  I think the clue is that he told us he gave himself to Jesus at 3.   Maybe he isn't a drive-by--just getting more gas.

Maybe he's still on holiday.

I know I am.   :wink:
"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein

Savior2006

Sometimes I think we are too hard on some of these people. They call themselves Christian or theists in the Intro subforum and immediately get grilled about their faith and don't come back.

But mister Cross Shield was another story. He presented his religious beliefs as settled fact, like any Holy Roller jackoff. Whether he's worth keeping around really comes down to whether he'll stop doing that. If he doesn't, he'll get called stupid and shown the door, and that will be his fault.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Hydra009

Quote from: Savior2006 on May 30, 2015, 12:37:28 AM
Sometimes I think we are too hard on some of these people. They call themselves Christian or theists in the Intro subforum and immediately get grilled about their faith and don't come back.
True, but this guy was an IDiot and yet another evangelist who seemed to nurture the falsehood that we're atheists not because the whole god thing is just millennia-old hearsay with nothing substantial to back it up but rather that we hate god or don't want to be accountable for sin or some other bullshit.  Those aren't the sorts of theists we need around here.  Those aren't the sorts of theists that anyone needs, tbh.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Savior2006 on May 30, 2015, 12:37:28 AM

But mister Cross Shield was another story. He presented his religious beliefs as settled fact, like any Holy Roller jackoff. Whether he's worth keeping around really comes down to whether he'll stop doing that. If he doesn't, he'll get called stupid and shown the door, and that will be his fault.
Nah. You guys were fine. He was more annoying than Giveme and JohnnyB and you were more easy on him.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

His way of using the language is particularly disturbing to me, because I could hear that tone of voice and see him turning phrases, oiling ins and outs of an expression with a statement turned upside down, between 'you are right, but I don't agree with it, but also there is this because...insert the same fucking thing here he said previoulsy' and his way of deflecting the whole main point, saying nothing but connecting a lot of grammatically correct sentences together with carefully placed conjunctions in my mother language in context of another religion. I don't think he even pays particular attention to that though, probably it has become automatic at some point. Language tells everything. Always. 

I swear this way of communication is universal with religious people. I can recognise it anywhere. Not all of them are like this obviously and I think I prefer crude, super ignorant ones that comes off as childish or sometimes even retarded. Because ones like Odoital, genuinely believe that they are the ones above even in their own lot. I can hear them thinking that they can alone see something 'real', through layers of history and make a 'real' meaning of all that pile of bloodshed, waste of life for nothing, events in one way and deem it something completely seperate from what is going on in the world today. Well, of course! Because they themselves were born in this era not long ago, so it must be different.

Turns my stomach and gives me a fucking headache.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Atheon

He came across as arrogant, self-righteous and clueless. I stopped reading his garbage.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

I didn't follow the JohnnyB person, but Odiotal is not comparable to Giveme.

Giveme saw himself as some kind of a wise, disguised 'disturber of the peace' as an old fart, something more than a horse fly, but less than something obvious and tried to use a conflicting vague language by making topics he thought has a problem as in general perception by people. It's harmless and actually even funny, because he sounded like he was confused between traditional Socrates method and the way Plato makes him talk to Sophists in his dialogues. (That's the problem with that old Greek, what he supposedly tried to do looks so simple, but doesn't go with hypermodern times and modern human ego and probably not then 2500 years ago either, because he is actually a parable more than a method.) You know, an old wise man talking to brash young men who are sure of what they are, what they know and think this old art is foolish, but anyone who becomes wise enough with age later, will find out what he was saying or be triggered by it.  :rotflmao: 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

The scariest part was when he said he worked in law enforcement.. imagining someone with that kind of religious rhetoric working in a service like that chills me..
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on May 30, 2015, 04:26:44 AM
The scariest part was when he said he worked in law enforcement.. imagining someone with that kind of religious rhetoric working in a service like that chills me..

Yeah, definitely. I said that to him when after what stated about rape. That we women should be 'prude' in our clothes to protect ourselves from rapists. And the way he expressed it. He used an indirect expression almost meant that it wasn't what he actually thought; he said 'I know people wold would agree that...' and then when forced to accept what he actually said, he said he didn't say that but 'it would be better not to tempt the men who would mean harm by way of dressing and that is not the same thing'. That's exactly what I was talking in the post above with language he uses. Basically, it is just a fucking con and lying through your teeth.

I wonder, what is his 'prude measure' of a skirt? Or a top? In what terms, I am a 'whore' or a 'slut' asking for it or a virtuous woman careful not to attempt the 'evil male folk'. You know, because humans don't have a sexual impulse and rape is aaall about sex. Oh and het men are rapists by their nature, they lose their minds, become animals when they see female skin, we shouldn't never forget that. Fucking bigots.

Johan

Quote from: Munch on May 30, 2015, 04:26:44 AM
This. The thought of it scares the crap out of me.

But I can't really blame him if he bailed. I can't blame any of them if they do. Many of us here, myself included, are disrespectful of their beliefs as a matter of course. I mean I don't call the bible the bable or anything like that because IMO purposely altering names like that is childish and just makes the person doing it less credible. But I also never capitalize words like he, him, christ, christian etc because I find that to be pretentious. And pretentious though it may be, not doing it is disrespectful and insulting when having a conversion with someone who believes it should be done. So yeah, not surprising that he bailed. I'd probably bail too if I were in his shoes.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS