News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nothing but woo and religion

Started by Deidre32, April 24, 2015, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deidre32

Most of my offline friends are atheists, but I have a couple of Christian ones. And two Muslim friends, as well. I forgot that I was in this 'group' text message and looked down at my phone today, and read this series of texts that have transpired throughout today. My friends were literally texting non stop about woo and religion. There wasn't ONE SINGLE TEXT about reality. lol Everything was about spirituality, and what this one thought about it, and what this one thought about heaven...and souls ...and divinity...and how we are all God's children, and how if people believed in miracles, we'd all be better off.

I didn't chime in, but thought to myself...wtf? Not one single text about anything rational. Everything was woo-ish and about religion. How can people have non stop conversations about pseudo-reality? This group does this a lot, actually to the point where I'm becoming turned off when I hang out with them.

Just needed to share that!

:wtff:
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Solitary

Glad you shared it! I'm separating from my wife after fifty years and moving to southern California after 40 years of marriage because of an affair I had thirty years ago. She is Catholic, and it never really worked because I am a hedonist that lives life to the fullest because I believe we get only one life. We get along, but it is time to move on. We should have done it forty years ago.  We both agree it is the thing to do. So do my adult children 45 and 48. I'm actually excited about the change. I won't be able to find the person that resulted in this, but I know it is for the best. I'm too old to start a new romantic interest, but I will at least be free again. Life is a trip! I love it. Solitary   
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

My guess would be its all based on insecurity and doubt, so they have to keep reaffirming themselves for fear of if they even for a moment take their eyes off the prize something awful will happen. You pretty much witnessed digital prayer group.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Deidre32

Quote from: Solitary on April 24, 2015, 08:03:57 PM
Glad you shared it! I'm separating from my wife after fifty years and moving to southern California after 40 years of marriage because of an affair I had thirty years ago. She is Catholic, and it never really worked because I am a hedonist that lives life to the fullest because I believe we get only one life. We get along, but it is time to move on. We should have done it forty years ago.  We both agree it is the thing to do. So do my adult children 45 and 48. I'm actually excited about the change. I won't be able to find the person that resulted in this, but I know it is for the best. I'm too old to start a new romantic interest, but I will at least be free again. Life is a trip! I love it. Solitary   
You sound to be in good spirits with all of this, so I will hold back saying the usual trite 'sorry things didn't work out.' You might find someone to love again....you never know. I wish the best for you. :)

Quote from: Munch on April 24, 2015, 08:10:06 PM
My guess would be its all based on insecurity and doubt, so they have to keep reaffirming themselves for fear of if they even for a moment take their eyes off the prize something awful will happen. You pretty much witnessed digital prayer group.
Yes, good points. But, it is odd to not wish to talk about anything remotely based in reality? lol

the_antithesis

Quote from: Deidre32 on April 24, 2015, 09:17:37 PM
Yes, good points. But, it is odd to not wish to talk about anything remotely based in reality? lol

Never been to a sci-fi convention, have you?

trdsf

Quote from: the_antithesis on April 25, 2015, 12:00:26 PM
Never been to a sci-fi convention, have you?
Yes, but except for a few sad cases, we're all aware that the F in SF stands for 'fiction'.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Deidre32

Quote from: trdsf on April 25, 2015, 02:12:12 PM
Yes, but except for a few sad cases, we're all aware that the F in SF stands for 'fiction'.  :)
haha exactly ;)

Aroura33

Quote from: Solitary on April 24, 2015, 08:03:57 PM
So you are like the male version of Auntie Mame! Wish I had that much life in me, lol.

@Dierdre, I know that feeling.  I don't get on FB much, but I still ended up unsubbing from the feeds of most of the people I grew up with, their posts are 90% religious stuff, or comments that their kid is sick, will everyone pray for them?  Stupid shit like that.  It's frustrating, so I feel for you.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Hijiri Byakuren

This is why I ignore most of my Facebook "friends." Who are actually family, and I would be grilled if I ever actually unfriended them.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm not feeling it.  I read just to many mentions of  "lol" in the posts above and just can't envision you all quite literally laughing out loud.  Sorry.  :sad:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

the_antithesis

Quote from: trdsf on April 25, 2015, 02:12:12 PM

Let's test that theory.

Who shot first? Han or Greedo.

I think it was Greedo.

trdsf

Quote from: the_antithesis on April 27, 2015, 01:05:15 PM
Let's test that theory.

I think it was Greedo.
The video evidence has been tampered with.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Termin

Quote from: the_antithesis on April 27, 2015, 01:05:15 PM
Let's test that theory.

I think it was Greedo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YnnhwvuHPo
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

the_antithesis

Quote from: trdsf on April 27, 2015, 01:36:23 PM
The video evidence has been tampered with.

I'm sorry, but the answer we were looking for was "Who the fuck cares?"

To a certain degree, we are all that sad bastard who wears his Star Fleet uniform to work.

trdsf

Quote from: the_antithesis on April 27, 2015, 03:06:06 PM
I'm sorry, but the answer we were looking for was "Who the fuck cares?"

To a certain degree, we are all that sad bastard who wears his Star Fleet uniform to work.
No, but I do carry a Sonic Screwdriver.