Are moderate Christians really Christians?

Started by Canadian Atheist, April 19, 2015, 01:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian Atheist

Well christian by definition simply means follows Christ, everyone that says otherwise is just a no true Scotsman. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Canadian Atheist on April 19, 2015, 08:36:10 PM
Well christian by definition simply means follows Christ, everyone that says otherwise is just a no true Scotsman.
Yeah, but that is so ambiguous that it really is of no value.  There are so many definitions and beliefs of what Jesus taught that one can claim just about anything one wants to by saying they believe in Jesus.  There is a huge difference for me if a person id's themselves as a died-in-the-wool, born again, fundamental Southern Baptist or as a go to church every now and again Methodist. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Quote from: Termin on April 19, 2015, 07:47:46 PM
  What is a christian ? two thoughts on that.

There are Christians that can't seem to agree on that, if you Google, almost any denominational name such as Baptist, or Methodist or Catholic followed by "are not Christians" you will seem many sites where different denominations are claiming other denominations are not Christians... it's sad really.

Secondly who gets to decide what label fits who ? Personally if someone tells me they are a christian then I take their word for it.

And I'm new here, and I see some people have complained about self promotion, maybe if you put a link to these forums that will even things up :) again I'm new don't know what the forums policy is yet , still learning.

Welcome. It is because we have/had a lot of people who came here for no other purpose than to push their personal agenda. The forum's primary purpose is that of discussion and airing out issues, and shameless self promotion is just an annoyance that detracts from our primary function.

Termin

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 19, 2015, 08:25:32 PM
Welcome.  Why not go to the introduction section and introduce yourself.

I'm shy. :)
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

doorknob

Pretty good video. Yeah the jump cuts are a little rough.

Just be prepared for christians to say you are taking the bible out of context. That's usually one of their many excuses.