News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

101 reasons not to be an atheist

Started by Logical One, March 26, 2015, 06:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: Ace101 on March 29, 2015, 05:59:16 PM
Deism doesn't contradict science, it only explains the origin of existence itself, everything within existence is only explained by science - the amount of dumbass replies I see is hilarious.

apparently you think conjecture is an explanation. its all fiction until you can prove otherwise.

Aletheia

Quote from: Ace101 on March 29, 2015, 05:59:16 PM
Deism doesn't contradict science, it only explains the origin of existence itself, everything within existence is only explained by science - the amount of dumbass replies I see is hilarious.

Core of Deism

Rejection of religions based on books that claim to contain the revealed word of God.
    Rejection of religious dogma and demagogy.
    Skepticism of reports of miracles, prophecies and religious "mysteries".

Constructive elements of deist thought included:

God exists and created the universe.
    God gave humans the ability to reason.

Some deists used the cosmological argument for the existence of God

Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe

In modern usage however, "science" most often refers to a way of pursuing knowledge, not only the knowledge itself.

A scientific theory is empirical,and is always open to falsification if new evidence is presented. That is, no theory is ever considered strictly certain as science accepts the concept of fallibilism.

The incompatibility between deism and science can be found here:

Constructive elements of deist thought included:

Where is the empirical evidence to substantiate the existence of a god, and where is the evidence that clearly demonstrates that it is a God that created the universe and gave humans the ability to reason? How would you go about testing this theory? What sort of evidence are you expected to find?

Deism is nothing more than theism light. Deists have the scepticism and require empirical evidence for many things in life which led to them reject theism. However, unlike atheism, deism has a giant blind spot. Whereas they apply scientific thought to most everything else, they still hold a belief in a deity without any empirical evidence or even logic to support such an assumption.

Yes, Ace101, I think we understand deism. Just like the theists you try to separate from, you still have faith in a god that is not supported by any evidence. The foolishness is turned down by saying such a God is no longer active, but the belief is unscientific nonetheless.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Munch

71. I get to be offended when a minority does something, and I call for my political leader to make them stop doing the thing, while weeping at the suffering my majority community has to deal with from these harmful minorities
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

72. I can make an excuse to not go to work and if my boss complains I can accuse him of oppressing my people
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

doorknob

73. My holy book is left to interpretation so I can make it mean what ever is convenient at the time.

Mr.Obvious

74. I have a chance of being ellected as president.

(Well, i don't because i'm not american, but you know...)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

75.  I could shop in any shop in Indiana.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Ace101

Quote from: Aletheia on March 29, 2015, 09:05:33 PM
That's not incompatible since it pre-dates existence itself and can't be proven or disproven by scientific laws.

Everything which happens within the universe (including humans developing reason) is only explainable through scientific laws, so that's also not incompatible - if "God gave it to humans" than it did so through 'cause and effect' of evolution, not 'magic'.

Where is the empirical evidence to substantiate the existence of a god, and where is the evidence that clearly demonstrates that it is a God that created the universe and gave humans the ability to reason? How would you go about testing this theory? What sort of evidence are you expected to find?

Deism is nothing more than theism light. Deists have the scepticism and require empirical evidence for many things in life which led to them reject theism. However, unlike atheism, deism has a giant blind spot. Whereas they apply scientific thought to most everything else, they still hold a belief in a deity without any empirical evidence or even logic to support such an assumption.

Yes, Ace101, I think we understand deism. Just like the theists you try to separate from, you still have faith in a god that is not supported by any evidence. The foolishness is turned down by saying such a God is no longer active, but the belief is unscientific nonetheless.
Evidence is only required if something can be proven or disproven - which is why theism is a myth since it suggests god directly intervenes with the natural world.

But deism is just a theory about why existence itself exists. If a person hypothesizes for example that "alien life exists elsewhere in the universe", that doesn't contradict science just because there is "no scientific proof of it" - it would have to contradict some current evidence, and there's no physical evidence disproving the idea of a higher power bringing the universe into existence.

Mr.Obvious

76. As a non-atheist i just might understand the reasoning behind a Chick-tract and enjoy the read, rather than having to turn to Hugo and Jake from 'the bible reloaded' for making them entertaining.

Ace101

My god, chick tracts read like the ravings of a paranoid schizophrenic. They make Pat Robertson look sane in comparison.

Atheon

77. If I can't make sense of the convoluted, nonsensical beliefs of my religion, I could always become an atheist.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

dtq123

78. It's easier to diet because daddy told me to.

:eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli

79. I can the sacrament and pretend its JESUS!

GrinningYMIR

80. I can claim that certain numbers, like 666, are eeeevvviillll
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mr.Obvious

81. I can't accidentaly cut myself with occam's razor if i go nowhere near it.