News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Morality

Started by JohnnyB1993, March 06, 2015, 05:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

It's always sad when a person like this claims to follow objective morality, not realizing that by pulling their god out of thin air they are actually being even more arbitrary than we are. My morality is based on observation and reasoning. Johnny is just following a voice in his head. Who is actually being arbitrary, here?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Termin

Quote from: JohnnyB1993 on May 10, 2015, 06:14:07 AM
.  I will try to further explain to clarify this.  I first find it curious how you know that God's morality has not been made present to me in an objective way, 

Show the objective evidence.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Mike Cl

Well, Johnny, since you don't seem to be up for my challenge--can you comment  on whether or not you think the 10 commandments are moral in your world view?????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

No fair, Mike- you played the 10 Commandments card. How DARE you????  :naughty:

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on May 10, 2015, 03:04:32 PM
No fair, Mike- you played the 10 Commandments card. How DARE you????  :naughty:
I'm betting he can't even list them correctly--even if he uses cut-and-paste.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

DeathandGrim

It's wrong because I say it's wrong

There. Trial over.
You argue with a god of death?

We all make bad decisions.

"Born Asian -- Not born this way"

JohnnyB1993

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on May 10, 2015, 07:20:44 AM
Me too. You don't know how to reason, and your rationalizations are growing tiresome. I have fully demonstrated that your morality is just as subjective as any atheist. But you simply disregard everything I say, and continue to repeat the same statements that I've already refuted. If you can't be persuaded by clear-cut, plain-as-the-nose-on-your-face logic, then you can't be persuaded. So the value of this conversation is nullified. I am done. But one last question: how old are you? About 22?

Ya im in my twenties.  I would personally like to thank you for your time in this discussion.  I do hope you keep an open mind to God's existence.  He certainly is ready to offer much peace and satisfaction to any non-believer.

JohnnyB1993

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 10, 2015, 02:45:19 PM
Well, Johnny, since you don't seem to be up for my challenge--can you comment  on whether or not you think the 10 commandments are moral in your world view?????

Sure, I'll take your challenge.  I believe the Ten Commandments to be laws revealed to mankind by God.  Since I believe God to be the objective source of morality in reality, then ny default these Commandments are morally good. 

stromboli

The Principles of Maat got you beat by 2,000 years.
http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=7701.0

And that is at least 15 centuries before Judaism was even in existence.

You lose.

Mike Cl

Quote from: JohnnyB1993 on May 12, 2015, 06:56:23 AM
Sure, I'll take your challenge.  I believe the Ten Commandments to be laws revealed to mankind by God.  Since I believe God to be the objective source of morality in reality, then ny default these Commandments are morally good.
That's nice--what are they???  Can you list them?

DeathandGrim

Tell us how you know they're given by God while you're at it
You argue with a god of death?

We all make bad decisions.

"Born Asian -- Not born this way"

stromboli

Quote from: DeathandGrim on May 12, 2015, 11:43:07 AM
Tell us how you know they're given by God while you're at it

Lol. This guy is a brick wall. Any logic or sound argument is just so many tennis balls bounced off of it.

It never ceases to amaze me that xtians can claim universal god given objective morality, but when you point out that

A.The 10 commandments was clearly borrowed from earlier codexes of law like the Codex Hammurabi and the Codex Ur Mammu
B. doesn't exclude rape and slavery, nor disallow the keeping of concubines or multiple wives; all of which is now verboten.
C. Was unheard of in dozens of countries prior to the advent of xtianity.

Like I said, brick wall.

Termin

Quote from: JohnnyB1993 on May 12, 2015, 06:56:23 AM

How do you know God is moral ?
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

michaelc232

First off, God can't stop drinking enough wine to remember to follow his own laws.

"Hey Moses, tell them THOU SHALT NOT KILL!"

"ok God..."

"Hey Joshua, take the land and kill all the men, women, and children. Then take all their shit with you for good measure!"

"ok God..."

JohnnyB1993

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 12, 2015, 10:46:39 AM
That's nice--what are they???  Can you list them?
Ten Commandments Exodus 20:1-17
1.  You shall have no other gods before me.
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on earth beneath or in the waters below to worship.
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day and keep it Holy.
5. Honor your mother and father.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness.
10. You shall not covet your neighbour's house, wife, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.