News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hostages in Sydney

Started by GrinningYMIR, December 14, 2014, 07:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

NPR has been covering it.  In addition to his [probable] religious affiliation, he also had been charged with a number of serious crimes, including accessory to murder, for which he was out on bail awaiting trial.

PopeyesPappy

Guess the ex should have known the penalty for divorcing her husband without his consent was death by fire. [/sarcasm]
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Jason78

Quote from: Shiranu on December 14, 2014, 09:34:40 PM
Saw that Uber is hiking up their prices for people trying to get out of the area (Sydney Opera House was also evacuated on bomb threat). Fucking disgraceful.

That's the law of supply and demand for you.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

kilodelta

There was a shitload of shots fired for a bunch of SWAT vs. one gunman.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Berati

We just had two separate incidents recently in Canada. One was where a jihadist killed an unarmed soldier doing ceremonial duty on remembrance day and then entered parliament before being shot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_shootings_at_Parliament_Hill,_Ottawa

The other just a short time earlier was another jihadist who ran over two soldiers killing one of them. http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/20/possible-terror-attack-as-soldiers-run-down-in-quebec-parking-lot

Both were born in Canada and converted to Islam. So now, we have ISYS producing videos encouraging more attacks on Canada: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/09/21/isis-urges-jihadists-to-attack-canadians-you-will-not-feel-secure-in-your-bedrooms/

Islam is a collection of absolutely terrible ideas. Moderate muslims are those who ignore the central teachings of the quran and ignore muhammad's own deeds and actions. Muhammad was a murderer, a rapist and a pedophile. If you can't bring yourself to leave a group founded by such a person I have no sympathy for you.

Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

hrdlr110

He's getting more attention than he deserves. He was a seed of the terror plant, watered and fertilised by the media - social and news. He's just a bad egg, there are many that don't get attention because they don't hang a flag. The cafe mgr rushed him when he thought he'd fallen asleep.he was shot by the gunman,  the gunman was shot by police. The other lady that died, did so on the way to hospital - from a heart attack.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

dtq123

How about we just duct tape a Quarn and Bible to Every building?
Won't that stop them since they can't destroy their own holy book?
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

SGOS

Quote from: kilodelta on December 15, 2014, 05:24:08 PM
Unfortunate end to the situation.
It's not likely these things will end well.  It could have been worse.  I know that doesn't help the families who lost loved ones, but it could have been worse.

Shiranu

American media seems to be obsessing over the fact that he was Iranian, even though he converted to Sunni Islam which, protip, Iranians hate with a passion.

I hope the media doesn't use this as another chance to say, "SEE, SEE! THE IRANIANS ARE EVIL, WE NEED TO NUKE THEM!", but I'm not holding my breath that the media will suddenly grow a sense of ethics, integrity or talent and point out that this guy's radicalism is based in Saudi instead of Iranian extremism.

Also; guy had been accused in dozens of sexual assaults, sending hate letters to the families of troops, suspected of having his ex-wife murdered and just spouting extremist views... I'm sorry Australia, but why the fuck would you not deport someone like this? That goes to any country, with any sort of radical... these people do not belong in the civilized world, ship them back to the hellholes they so clearly think are amazing. Letting people like this stay in your country is risking something like this happening.

My only problem there is the government fabricating information to have someone they don't like deported... but, I don't know... there is just no reason this guy should have been allowed in a first world nation.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

Bad person from the start, I dislike the fact that someone like that can apply to be as a refugee and then commit crimes like this, even if he didn't go that route a lot of people do.

Bad stuff all around
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Johan

What? Two pages in and no one claiming this wouldn't have happened if all the guns were outlawed? You guys are slipping. Oh wait...
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Quote from: Johan on December 15, 2014, 11:32:24 PM
What? Two pages in and no one claiming this wouldn't have happened if all the guns were outlawed? You guys are slipping. Oh wait...

Wow.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PopeyesPappy

I am curious how a known radical out on bail from a murder charge acquired a shotgun in a country with very tight gun control laws.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Berati

I'm surprised some gun nut hasn't claimed that if everyone were armed this wouldn't have happened. Oh wait...
http://www.smh.com.au/world/sydney-siege-charles-hurt-tells-fox-news-australias-tough-gun-laws-to-blame-for-preventing-selfdefence-20141215-127uxj.html
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."