Dollar Store Gives out Nazi Ring as Toy Prize

Started by SGOS, December 13, 2014, 07:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-boy-puts-quarter-vending-machine-gets-nazi-173405560--finance.html

I'm not upset or offended at this.  Just thought it was interesting in a WTF?? kind of way.

A 4 year old boy puts a quarter in a vending machine that gives out surprise toys and receives a ring with an eagle clutching a swastika.  Heil Hitler!  His mother asks the Dollar Store to explain, but they can't.  But what was the company thinking when they put that prize in the machine?

the_antithesis

I think we can officially stop being offended by nazis. That was, like, sixty years ago and they've since been made into clowns.

SGOS

I remember a phase we went through in grade school where we would draw swastikas at school.  Granted we didn't know all the implications of swastikas, but they were fun to draw.  I think a teacher commented one time about it being inappropriate, but we weren't told we couldn't do it.

GrinningYMIR

the western world views the Nazi's as the ultimate evil, we'll never stop being offended by that kind of thing :P

Personally, even as a little kid, I would have been like "huh" and then would have promptly lost it, as little kids do
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mermaid

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 13, 2014, 08:51:17 AM
I think we can officially stop being offended by nazis. That was, like, sixty years ago and they've since been made into clowns.
Yeah, nevermind the six million people they killed. Water under the bridge, right?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mermaid on December 13, 2014, 10:48:49 AM
Yeah, nevermind the six million people they killed. Water under the bridge, right?

Yes. Otherwise we've learned nothing from it.

AllPurposeAtheist

Using terminology such as 'offensive' downplays the significance of the defeat of the Nazi regime and in some ways legitimizes the regime
Flat out prohibiting Nazi propaganda would be more appropriate, but then others are 'offended' by the notion of censorship.
Personally I'd like to see an outright ban and imprisonment for those who blatantly engage in this type of propaganda, but that brings up completely different constitutional problems and there are some I'm sure who would gladly jail children for drawing swastikas.
The fact remains that most of the worlds nations went to war to defeat the Nazi regime and millions of lives were completely wasted in the process and now it's been reduced to merely offensive? Saying FUCK can be construed as being offensive, but hardly measures up to the scale of what the Nazi regime did.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on December 13, 2014, 07:28:36 AM
But what was the company thinking when they put that prize in the machine?

I doubt they even knew those were in there. It's Dollar Store. They don't really check their merchandise for quality. They just get it cheap. The ring was no doubt made by a Chinese company that found the design online somewhere and copied it without knowing or caring if that design had any significance whatsoever and have been trying to unload their inventory ever since.

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 13, 2014, 12:59:21 PM
I doubt they even knew those were in there. It's Dollar Store. They don't really check their merchandise for quality. They just get it cheap. The ring was no doubt made by a Chinese company that found the design online somewhere and copied it without knowing or caring if that design had any significance whatsoever and have been trying to unload their inventory ever since.
That would be my guess too.  Someone was contracted to make X amount of rings of X number of designs.  Still, someone did the casting, artwork, and must have examined it.  Maybe it was an 8 year old chained to a production line.  I doubt that it was of malicious intent, but the fact is, I don't know.  I thought it was worth a "WTF".

Jason78

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 13, 2014, 08:51:17 AM
I think we can officially stop being offended by nazis.

Nope, I find genocidal maniacs that have perpetrated some of the worst crimes humanity has ever thought of pretty damn offensive.

We should never forget them, if only to prevent a movement like that from ever happening again.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Munch

I think more preferred the story of the dollar store that sold the 'evil stick' fairy wand with a picture of a witch cutting her wrists with a knife inside it.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

dtq123

Quote from: Munch on December 15, 2014, 02:24:13 PM
I think more preferred the story of the dollar store that sold the 'evil stick' fairy wand with a picture of a witch cutting her wrists with a knife inside it.

Nah, at least the ring looked cool. If nobody cared for the association, they would totally keep it.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Twilightomens

Quote from: SGOS on December 13, 2014, 10:00:39 AM
I remember a phase we went through in grade school where we would draw swastikas at school.  Granted we didn't know all the implications of swastikas, but they were fun to draw.  I think a teacher commented one time about it being inappropriate, but we weren't told we couldn't do it.
I was totally left out of that trend in middle school. It was another of the many things I didn't understand about my classmates. My horrible, horrible classmates.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Mermaid

Quote from: Jason78 on December 15, 2014, 02:17:35 PM
Nope, I find genocidal maniacs that have perpetrated some of the worst crimes humanity has ever thought of pretty damn offensive.

We should never forget them, if only to prevent a movement like that from ever happening again.
Agree. Plus, there are still Nazis. They are fringe, but they do exist.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Sal1981

There are plenty of genocides to go around, we just tend to remember the most famous ones. Who shreds a thought about the other genocides perpetrated, even after the Nazis? One thing that rustles my jimmies is the association of Nazis and stuff like the Indian luck symbol or the toothbrush mustache.