NFL Discussion Thread

Started by The Dude, February 25, 2013, 09:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdlr110

Quote from: "Brian37"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"***Hands Brian large cup of espresso.***
I know your nerves are shot pal.. :lol:

Espresso? Fuck that!

I like close games when other teams besides the Redskins are playing. I FUCKING HATE close games when the Redskins are playing. I want to win big or lose big, PRECISELY because of your quip! Shit like this puts people in the ER!

My nerves are shot which is why I hate close games!

"Phew, we won" and "MOTHER FUCKER" are too close for comfort for me.

Something that always plagues teams whose best athlete on offense is the quarterback, is, that he can't be used as a decoy to help get other players free.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

AllPurposeAtheist

Man..it's good to see the Squeelers get thumped and the Ratbirds.. :-P
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Man..it's good to see the Squeelers get thumped and the Ratbirds.. :-P

Oh you mother fucker, I was drinking coffee just now, damned near spit it out. Never heard them called "Squeelers  :rollin:
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Notthesun

My Packers lost. Rodgers is hurt. I hate how I told my friend, "I hate when get gets sacked. I'm so terrified he'll get hurt." On the next play he gets sacked and then is out of the game. Fuck.
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Man..it's good to see the Squeelers get thumped and the Ratbirds.. :-P

Oh you mother fucker, I was drinking coffee just now, damned near spit it out. Never heard them called "Squeelers  :rollin:
That's ALL we ever call em here in Ohio.. 2 last place teams over 20 years in the same division? You kiddin? :lol:

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"

That's ALL we ever call em here in Ohio.. 2 last place teams over 20 years in the same division? You kiddin? :lol:

Steelers are  not my enemy so I don't focus on people who trash talk them. One thing however I have never understood is that lots of Steeler fans hate the Redskins. I don't get that.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

mykcob4

Quote from: "Notthesun"My Packers lost. Rodgers is hurt. I hate how I told my friend, "I hate when get gets sacked. I'm so terrified he'll get hurt." On the next play he gets sacked and then is out of the game. Fuck.
Crazy game last night. Hard hitting and the refs swallowed their whistles seems like. It came down to the packers backup QB had less timing than the Bears QB.

AllPurposeAtheist

Sooo.. The Richie Incognito story.. The guy appears to be a real turd, but by many accounts being a shithead is encouraged and rewarded.. Thoughts?

Poison Tree

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Sooo.. The Richie Incognito story.. The guy appears to be a real turd, but by many accounts being a shithead is encouraged and rewarded.. Thoughts?
I am disappointed that so many people/NFLers are saying Martin should have just punched Incognito and moved on, but I am appalled that people are defending Incognito's actions. It would be one thing if what he had done was "just" "normal" hazing--personally I don't get hazing; I keep hearing that it bonds a team together, but it seems that it would bond the guys dishing it out and alienate the ones receiving it, who are typically the new guys/rookies, the very people who most need bonded to the team by virtue of being new--but as soon as it crossed the line into leaving voice-mail(s) with racial slurs, threats of violence against a family member and especially a death threat, then I don't see how anyone defending Incognito's actions is doing anything but wallowing in his scum.

It is one thing to defend Incognito by saying "maybe he didn't do it; let the facts come out", it is another entirely to defend his (alleged) actions and say "Martin should have just maned-up and it is Martin's fault for being a soft target".
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

entropy

Quote from: "Poison Tree"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Sooo.. The Richie Incognito story.. The guy appears to be a real turd, but by many accounts being a shithead is encouraged and rewarded.. Thoughts?
I am disappointed that so many people/NFLers are saying Martin should have just punched Incognito and moved on, but I am appalled that people are defending Incognito's actions. It would be one thing if what he had done was "just" "normal" hazing--personally I don't get hazing; I keep hearing that it bonds a team together, but it seems that it would bond the guys dishing it out and alienate the ones receiving it, who are typically the new guys/rookies, the very people who most need bonded to the team by virtue of being new--but as soon as it crossed the line into leaving voice-mail(s) with racial slurs, threats of violence against a family member and especially a death threat, then I don't see how anyone defending Incognito's actions is doing anything but wallowing in his scum.

It is one thing to defend Incognito by saying "maybe he didn't do it; let the facts come out", it is another entirely to defend his (alleged) actions and say "Martin should have just maned-up and it is Martin's fault for being a soft target".

For sure, hazing is bullying and bullying is not beneficial for anyone - except maybe the bullier feels some twisted gratification. Hazing/bullying should never be "officially" sanctioned or turned a blind eye toward by those with the authority to do something to stop it.

I will say, though that when I was a junior on my high school basketball team some seniors were bullying most of the underclassmen on the team and when I told the coach about it he basically shrugged like no big deal and didn't do anything. Later in the season during the warmup before practice (before the coaches came out), one of those seniors decided it would be big chuckles to do a layup over the top of me (their bullying toward me had been only verbal up to that point). My fist literally came up off the floor in a beautiful arc right into his jaw. There was a lot of blood. He wasn't badly hurt, though. The coach called us into his office to grill us on what happened. I just said I was done with basketball and quit (the other kid claimed I had started it). A few days later the coach talked to me again and apologized, but I was done with basketball for good. Here's the part that is really sad - after punching that senior, nobody messed with me anymore at school or anywhere for that matter for the whole rest of the time I was in high school. I say that is sad because it shouldn't take smashing somebody in the face to get them to stop bullying. Unfortunately or fortunately standing up to bullies oftentimes works, though, so if someone is in a position where they are being bullied and those in authority who should stop it, don't stop it, then there are times when I would recommend standing up for yourself. I'm a pacifist about organized societal violence (like wars), but I don't have a problem with someone protecting themselves with a little violence rather than put up with bullying that they shouldn't have to put up with because the people in authority are not stopping it.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm a football fan and the hazing makes zero sense to me. Plenty of great athletes drop out over it merely because they dont have the personality for it and are repulsed as many of us are at the dumb fuckhead jock mentality. I knew a guy years ago who easily could have been a world class sprinter. He could run faster, laughing at people backwards than fast guys could run forward, but he had a very low key personality that couldn't tolerate the bullshit so he never entered track and field.
I'd much rather my team lose every event than have bullies and assholes leading to hollow victories.

aitm

wow, before this is over, Richie is a black guy giving a "half breed" a compliment by calling him a nigger.....stranger and stranger it gets....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

The truth often overlooked is at the end of the day football is nothing but entertainment. Nobody loses their lives over a game and people aren't held in POW camps. This isn't a matter of national security and a peoples way of life. These guys to an extent are paid to represent a segment of a city's pride, but nothing more and like it or not Incognito has hurt Miami's image far worse than had they lost every game as a result of Martin being perceived as weak.
The blame is being attempted to be shifted to Martin, but anyone in their right mind has to know better..

aitm

I know some of you are naysayers, but I think the Pats are going to win the Superbowl. Some of may start crying now at your discretion.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "aitm"I know some of you are naysayers, but I think the Pats are going to win the Superbowl. Some of may start crying now at your discretion.
Yeah, might as well give up being a 45 year fan of the Bengals while I have a chance. After all.. That game against the Pats... :shock: