News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2021, 05:24:32 PM
I don't think so. Doesn't every episode start with a caption, "SOMETHING IS OUT THERE."  Yeah, yeah, we know something is out there, just look at the night sky, but when the caption is up, they play the Alien National Anthem,   "Oooh-eee-ooooh."  This is most ominous, and obviously intentional.  We know what they mean.

:lol: Yeah, you are probably right. I optimistcally thought that it is a kind of primitive push for questioning and scepticism.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 23, 2021, 04:39:12 AM
:lol: Yeah, you are probably right. I optimistcally thought that it is a kind of primitive push for questioning and scepticism.
It originally aired on FOX, so it's more likely a push for believing anything FOX tells you (training wheels for the gullible).

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on April 23, 2021, 07:09:03 AM
It originally aired on FOX, so it's more likely a push for believing anything FOX tells you (training wheels for the gullible).

Ah...I didn't know that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

:cheer: Love, Death and Robots Volume II is coming on May 14! "Consume irresponsibly." LOL If it is not here too at that date, I'll be pissed off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj2iCJkp6Ko

Hydra009

Just finished Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  Excellent finale.  That series was better than a lot of Marvel movies, imho.

[spoiler]I can't believe it, but there was one scene where Falcon is boxing with some rando in a building and I thought, dafuq is he wasting his time with this?  Why doesn't he just jump out the window and fly away?  And you know what happened?  He did!  LMAO.  Made my day.

Is it screwed up that I really like John Walker now?  #BLM.  Sure, he needs some Lagos brand paper towels, but he's not a complete monster.

Karli, on the other hand...

POV: you're in a terrorist cell and the leader says that it doesn't even matter if you die

[/spoiler]

Blackleaf

It's over already? Last episode had me feeling like we were at maybe the 2/3rds mark of the series, not like they were preparing for a finale. Oh, well. I'll watch it tomorrow.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

That's because Wandavision had 9 episodes, while Falcon and the Winter Soldier only got 6.

It's a very short series.  More like a miniseries than a normal TV show.

Cassia

This morning I turned on the TV for a bit of nostalgic white noise and a 1964 episode of 'My Favorite Martian' was on. The laugh track is so heavy-handed. Apparently just about every murmur out of an actor no matter how unfunny is worthy of a generous, spontaneous chuckle. The imaginary crowd is just sitting on the edge of their seats, waiting for anything (and I mean anything) to happen so that they can laugh.

Went for a walk outside and noticed a squawking blue jay on top of the usually filled but now empty bird feeder. I wondered, am I being manipulated...again?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on April 25, 2021, 08:44:34 AM
This morning I turned on the TV for a bit of nostalgic white noise and a 1964 episode of 'My Favorite Martian' was on. The laugh track is so heavy-handed. Apparently just about every murmur out of an actor no matter how unfunny is worthy of a generous, spontaneous chuckle. The imaginary crowd is just sitting on the edge of their seats, waiting for anything (and I mean anything) to happen so that they can laugh.

Went for a walk outside and noticed a squawking blue jay on top of the usually filled but now empty bird feeder. I wondered, am I being manipulated...again?

I absolutely hate laugh tracks.  Even the modern versions of them on today's sit coms are hugely annoying.  Not a fan of sit coms anyway, so the laugh tracks are another excuse to not watch them. 

We have marauder Jays in our back yard all the time, raiding the feeders and generally squawking and blustering around.  But they are beautiful birds.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on April 25, 2021, 08:44:34 AM

Some laugh tracks I don't even notice, but some can make something intended to be funny not funny at all.  When this -> "every murmur out of an actor no matter how unfunny is worthy of a generous, spontaneous chuckle" happens, the laugh track becomes unbearable and nothing but a distraction.

But to ramp this rant up a notch, when that thing above happens, it seems to happen all the time, like the laugh track control guy might be in the manic phase of a bi polar disorder and can't help fiddling with the knob on the machine.  And even more, this still happens in some sitcoms today.  They could just dispense with the actors and comedians, and just play the laugh track for 20 minutes.  Maybe occasionally showing candid camera angles of the laugh track guy playing with the knob.  They could pause for commercial breaks and then return to the laugh track.

Hydra009

Imho, the only legitimate use of a laugh track would be a candid camera type show, where it might actually be hard for audiences to gauge the punchline of nonverbal jokes.  It should NEVER be used for verbal jokes.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 25, 2021, 04:20:38 PM
Imho, the only legitimate use of a laugh track would be a candid camera type show.....
Or a Trump speech.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on April 25, 2021, 10:04:28 AM
Some laugh tracks I don't even notice, but some can make something intended to be funny not funny at all.  When this -> "every murmur out of an actor no matter how unfunny is worthy of a generous, spontaneous chuckle" happens, the laugh track becomes unbearable and nothing but a distraction.

But to ramp this rant up a notch, when that thing above happens, it seems to happen all the time, like the laugh track control guy might be in the manic phase of a bi polar disorder and can't help fiddling with the knob on the machine.  And even more, this still happens in some sitcoms today.  They could just dispense with the actors and comedians, and just play the laugh track for 20 minutes.  Maybe occasionally showing candid camera angles of the laugh track guy playing with the knob.  They could pause for commercial breaks and then return to the laugh track.

I recommend everyone to read the Harlan Ellison story "Laugh Track" now.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

LoriPinkAngel

We just finished Mad Men and now we're watching Schitt's Creek.  Mad Men was a fascinating look in to the '60s advertising scene.  I don't think Darrin Stevens ever acted like that.  Schitt's Creek is hilarious so far.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--