Possible US/Russian war or at least cold war 2

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, August 01, 2014, 01:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Steven Cohen on TheNation is asking some questions the MSM isn't and the whole of congress has been all but totally silent in the fog of war..  Weeks ago Kiev couldn't hang on to a public toilet and now with covert activity is able to shell and bomb major industrial cities with impunity. Something fishy is going on.. Listen to the audio..
http://m.thenation.com/blog/180769-stephen-cohen-russian-american-war-horizon
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Having been a participant in the cold war, I can say that we are better prepared now than we were then. The Russian economy is shit and can't sustain any kind of protracted conflict, we have 6 times their firepower and much better weapons. And we have many more allies than they do. China was a big factor then- they don't want a war with their biggest business partner now. And we still have enough economic clout to outlast them, like we did the last time.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Gotcha. We seem to have about a 30 year memory of world events. I don't think we'll have a cold war, but I'm not the idiot running the carnival.

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, no empire would ever challenge our power now or ever.. Not even the 2nd most robust economy the people we fuck might align with.. Especially the rest of the world we've fucked for profit.. No..never..

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 01, 2014, 09:03:58 PM
Yeah, no empire would ever challenge our power now or ever.. Not even the 2nd most robust economy the people we fuck might align with.. Especially the rest of the world we've fucked for profit.. No..never..
Japan has absolutely no chance of winning The Great Pacific War. Three and a half years later...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 01, 2014, 09:03:58 PM

The question would be who benefits from a cold war. Russia might annex parts of the Ukraine and keep it, but they still have only one warm water port. And Russia still has vast oil and gas deposits, but a large part of their economy is the export of it to the west. If we continue to develop solar and other resources, the overall effect would not be beneficial to Russia. The cold war lasted 45 years. At the beginning, the USSR had a massive military force and controlled most of Eastern Europe. They have a fraction of the military strength they had then, don't control anywhere near the territories they did then, and international trade has made China a major economy that is now centered on business rather than conflict. And most of their business is with the US.

Whatever. Be as paranoid as you want.

AllPurposeAtheist

So now you're getting it Strom.. Russia has utterly nothing to gain here so why do the shit the west reports?  What? Russia hates fags? C'mon.. What's the motivation? The people in the Kremlin aren't stupid and have nothing to gain other than internal consumption, but Putin already hold power without much resistance. The west where we live sells the same story they sell there. You know that. There's something else behind this bullshit, something the press and congress have a lid on.

Solitary

There's more than one way to invade another country than with the military, if we want to get paranoid.  :eek: :doh: :fsm: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

We are talking about one (1) article in a magazine that I don't even read. Draw whatever conclusions you want from one (1) article. Like I said, be as paranoid as you want. But it strikes me of creating a conspiracy on not a whole lot of evidence.

AllPurposeAtheist

Well by all means dipshit.. Don't read the article or listen and call me paranoid.. Fuck off Stromboli. I'm sick of your holier than thou patriotic American horseshit.

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 01, 2014, 11:49:03 PM
Well by all means dipshit.. Don't read the article or listen and call me paranoid.. Fuck off Stromboli. I'm sick of your holier than thou patriotic American horseshit.

And thank you for sharing that. I read the article and didn't listen to the broadcast because I'm deaf, which I have mentioned on here a few times. And it is still only one article and without any more supporting evidence, I'm not going to draw specific conclusions. And I said "be as paranoid as you want to be" which means if you want to be paranoid go ahead, or not. Your choice. And if you are sick of my "holier than thou patriotic American hoseshit" because I offered an opinion, put me on "ignore." I'm still entitled to my opinion.

(edit) I said I don't read the magazine, not that I didn't read the article.

The Skeletal Atheist

2nd Cold War? Maybe, in the sense of the US and Russia being angryface at eachother, not to the scale of the prequel though. Shooting war between US and Russia or alliance vs Russia? Not very likely unless Putin does something extremely stupid. I fucking hate Putin, but I think he's smarter than that. The world community is watching his every move now, so hopefully he'd have the sense to step right.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 01, 2014, 11:49:03 PMWell by all means dipshit.. Don't read the article or listen and call me paranoid.. Fuck off Stromboli. I'm sick of your holier than thou patriotic American horseshit.
As long as we're bringing our countries into this, how about you have the courage of your convictions and put your own country in your profile, hmm? Let's see how much you appreciate it when I start dragging those skeletons out of the closet as a "rebuttal" to anything you say that I happen to disagree with. :evil:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

michael

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 01, 2014, 10:35:55 PM
The people in the Kremlin aren't stupid

The people "in Kremlin" are not mentally healthy. I do not mean they are completely mad, but they lost contact with reality.
That should be understood.
Sir Timotheo Montenegro III