News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

I took classes from the guys at Purdue who helped defeat the first Internet worm. The Computer Science school at Purdue is still strong. "Home of the Astronauts!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Unbeliever

At least there's a Darwin award waitn' fer ya! 🤣
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Things live inside it.  And it's growing. 

the_antithesis

Good riddance as they're the fakes, anyway.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 30, 2024, 07:45:12 AMPhotography made a new medium. It still involves a lot of creative decisions from the photographer. What new form of art will AI lead to? I see no scenario where the direction of AI suddenly shifts to become anything less dystopian. It's already getting to the point where AI is being considered for movies and video games to replace real talent. If people don't push back against it consistently, we'll soon be getting video games where character dialog is being generated on the spot, instead of written by humans and voice acted by real people. Actually, there's already a mod for Skyrim that does that. The game Suck Up uses AI to generate responses to you in real time.

Where is going to lead to... I don't know. But my guess is that people will play with it to no end and it could become a new medium. (Why is it so bad?) It will get to homes and down to everyone interested to use all the new traits it offers. Some people will master it... People will create perfectly real looking people, landscapes, objects, creatures, architecture, real life places, homes... anything possible to enjoy. There will be exhibitions, buying-selling, a market for it... People will have their favourites framed and hung in their homes...etc.

After a tipping point, which usually happens with it's becoming a daily thing, it will settle. It will become something most people can do. That's the crucial thing in all this about art.

When something can be mastered by most people, it becomes the norm, it loses its value. Because doesn't matter how good, how realistic, how breath taking an AI image is, it can be generated at will. Just like that, in abundance for no hard effort. It's also free. It can be duplicated exactly the way it is for millions of times, and it would be the exact same thing without the tiniest difference. Easy come, easy go.

But an art work created by human hand is exactly the opposite of all that. First of all, it's very hard to come by. I don't just mean the talent, the hard work; technique of drawing/painting/sculpting something beautiful or naturalistic or 'perfect' if you will. Art is not about creating a beautiful image. Art doesn't need anything specific to affect people. An art work that can stir feelings, emotions, thoughts, reflection, inspiration in human beings can be imitated, definitely forgered, but cannot be duplicated. It's unique. It's created as a unique object in a unique time of its own. You cannot possess it just because you want it then and there. (Honestly, it usually possess people.) Zeitgeist, time, place, culture... These are too grand concepts, yet even a small canvas created by the 'right' concurrence, can carry them all.

It is rare. I dare to say, VERY rare. It's a handful. It's about being human, it's about being the animal ruling among all animals. I know this sounds like grandstanding, but it is not, it's just art's nature. I always say that that art is the most presumptuous thing humans invented-created. And when I say that, people usually take it down as a cynical comment. But Art itself is the grandstanding.

Science, for example, is understanding nature, explaining-defining its phenomena; predict its future behaviour, position. Finding out what is reality like; disabusing ourselves from our delusions; learning WHAT we are. But we try to do that by penetrating nature's inner workings; we steal from nature, we transform it, return it, and along the way by understanding it, we make our lives easier.

But art... Since from the moment a primate has drawn something on a stone, painted something on pottery, a cave wall, it's trying to get back to something it was separated from by consciousness. More, trying to make nature of itself; get the better of it. It's about learning WHO we are. How insane is that? We are animals. We are not even a speck of dust in nature. (Did you know that some anthropologists think that we sapients could be the only human like species who adorn itself, the objects they use and the environment around them, and that could be the crucial point in us being the -genocidal- survivors of all human like species? Why an animal would paint a little cup that it uses every day? What's the meaning of it? It's mind blowing. Why?)

So, yes every medium gets included in that. But in the end it comes back to what we do with our hands. Puritanistic? While we are the champions of all sorts of puritanism, this is a natural instinct. Sounds trivial and funny, but we can't put our hands in a box or leave them to charge in the evenings before go to sleep. So while it goes full throttle with whatever new we get our hands on, on the other hand it snaps at back the old generic. At most times, old becomes fresh and new at some point. This could take a 100 years, or far more or less. These things run much bigger and longer than the terms of human life span.

You know that traditional art works have provenances? This could play a key role about digital art development in my opinion. In a world AI can imitate everything, people would need to ask a proof of how a product created. The meaning of forgery would change, lol.

So yes, I don't know. But in a nutshell, your concerns are old concerns in my opinion. It's not a new CATEGORY. We've been through that, we still have that, we live in it. I don't think AI is going to be a new problem in this sense. 

IF something happens that wold open a new category -as in category of things- in human culture, though I don't know what could be that big but, yes, it is a problem, but then the human life as we know would change altogether. There are very few things that exist. Everything else is a derivative of something primitive and it includes its origin. So is AI. 

[A few times here in AF, I've written about a comparison between the invention of the printing press (in the West), its consequences and the invention of internet and its consequences. Because I observe similarities. Extreme scepticism; loss of center... Humanity has gone through that before. Last times it's gone for something like 200 years. Who knows what's gonna happen this time. But to give an ironic example, what 4chan kids have done at the beginning of the 2000s is pretty much like what German kids have done in 1900s, LOL. Anyway, this got long enough.]

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

COP: Excuse me, sir, but do you know how fast you were scrolling?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

the_antithesis

I don't know.

Doesn't make me hard.

Hydra009

Feels worse when it's a retriever or lab

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

drunkenshoe

drunkenshoe

drunkenshoe