News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

drunkenshoe

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 29, 2024, 10:44:35 AMChat means cat.

So, Al Cat.

He's a meowy meow-meow.

Nah... Cat is Übermensch. If it was a cat, the hype would be on the way to build something accurate. Meanwhile, cat doesn't even care about the possibility of the AI, or any other concept that could come close to AI for that kind of unconscious respect or fear. :D
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 28, 2024, 04:56:00 AMAI just will make traditional art more valuable and expensive. Hand made products are always more valuable. It won't replace it. Similar things were said about photography in the past. It didn't replace paintings, though people were expecting that.

AI won't replace a lot of things people expect it would. Everybody is telling me that translation is the one first to become history. How? Translators are not translating words or sentences, we are translating meanings and culture(s). The nuances, variables are astronomical, and insane. Language doesn't work that way. And it's alive it changes, grows, diminishes everyday. At most, we will work with AIs, and actually that would be amazing.

So, like mine, AI will impact jobs in the way like the people work with AI vs the people that don't. It's not going to really replace anything.

When I'm looking academic stuff things in chatgpt, in English no less, even I can get how mediocre summaries they are. Yes it gives a basic structure, but nothing substantial.

I don't have such an optimistic expectation for AI in the near future. The difference between the invention of AI and photography is that the latter created a new form of art. A painting of a flower and a photograph of one are very different. By contrast, AI art imitates real art. Right now, it is imperfect, so someone with a good eye can spot the difference. But AI art is advancing quickly. Last year, it felt like anything with hands or text would give away that the picture was AI generated. There would be too many fingers, too many hands, text would be nonsense gibberish like "polpolti." Now, those things aren't an issue.

Hell, AI has even figured out how to make music now. You can feed it lyrics, or if that is too much work, let the AI come up with its own. Just give the AI a brief description of what you want, and within a few seconds, you've got a new song.

Where will this lead? Naturally, it will lead to less money being spent on real art. Hollywood will use AI to replace writers. All they'll need to do is go, "Write me a movie script for Star Wars: Episode 52," and there you go. No need to pay writers. You think they care about originality or quality? No. They just want to make money, and they've shown they're more than willing to underpay and overwork their writers, CGI artists, etc to cut costs. Eliminating them with AI is the natural next step.

They don't even need real actors. Are you aware that Disney has been building a collection of faces of both living and dead actors for years? Once Mark Hamill is dead, that won't stop them from using his face for Luke Skywalker. Right now, they barely use the living actor at all. Sure, he's technically there for filming, but it's mostly just a formality. They don't NEED him to be physically present.

"But AI can only imitate. It can't create something orignal."

Maybe. For now at least. But let's assume this remains true indefinitely. Say you're a musician who invents a new genre. As soon as it's on the internet, the AI goes, "Yoink! That's mine now!" Now the new genre you invented is being flooded with AI, and the work of human musicians is completely buried immediately.

Have you been on Facebook lately? Don't recommend it, but there's a funny thing people have been noticing lately. The platform is quickly being taken over by AI. You have countless pages dedicated to AI art, which isn't even very good. But if you look in the comments, everyone seems to be praising it. Very strange. It's obvious AI art. Not even slightly convincing. Then people realized the commentors are all AI! They're posting AI art, then artificially boosting it with engagement with AI comments and likes. Nothing is safe! Nothing is real anymore! Am I real? Who knows!

Even Google isn't safe. It sucks now. Websites made by experts are being killed off by AI generated nonsense, using buzzwords that catch the search engine's attention. The only consistent way to find something written by humans is to follow your prompt with "Reddit." Who even knows how long that will work. Google certainly isn't going to address the problem. Why should they care? You, the user are the product to them, not the customer. They use the money from selling your data to kill all the competition, so you can't even find a better search engine. So, the entire internet is turning into an AI generated cesspool.

Currently, the government is actually doing their job and considering whether or not Google is violating anti-trust laws (which they clearly are), and if they do the right thing, they MAY force Google to split up or something. But will that fix the issue, or would Google's future competition use the same shitty practices that make them a ton of money? Who can say? I'm not optimistic. I have no reason to think things won't continue to get worse.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cassia

What is "creativity"? Why is some art, music, and film considered to be so great by so many? Why does it invoke emotions in us? So many questions like this will be confronted and analyzed as AI proliferates.

Gawdzilla Sama

"What a brave new world, that has such art in it."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Hydra009

Going to do some light audiobooking:

drunkenshoe

I've removed my unpleasent response. But honestly, lack of historical perspective annoys me to no end. If I ever do it, don't be merciful.

Photography was not regarded as art at the beginning, despite people tought it would replace paintings. Photography had to battle for being a fine art. Even when it was regarded as art, it had to fit certain traits and norms. Then came the era with smart programs, filters, special effects. This time this wasn't art. Then...Zzz Now all it is art.

Having your portrait made is still very expensive. And people still do.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 30, 2024, 07:07:56 AMI've removed my unpleasent response. But honestly, lack of historical perspective annoys me to no end. If I ever do it, don't be merciful.

Photography was not regarded as art at the beginning, despite people tought it would replace paintings. Photography had to battle for being a fine art. Even when it was regarded as art, it had to fit certain traits and norms. Then came the era with smart programs, filters, special effects. This time this wasn't art. Then...Zzz Now all it is art.

Having your portrait made is still very expensive. And people still do.

Photography made a new medium. It still involves a lot of creative decisions from the photographer. What new form of art will AI lead to? I see no scenario where the direction of AI suddenly shifts to become anything less dystopian. It's already getting to the point where AI is being considered for movies and video games to replace real talent. If people don't push back against it consistently, we'll soon be getting video games where character dialog is being generated on the spot, instead of written by humans and voice acted by real people. Actually, there's already a mod for Skyrim that does that. The game Suck Up uses AI to generate responses to you in real time.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Its use in Skyrim is interesting.  The devs had neither the time nor resources to give the NPCs anything beyond a couple of stock responses.  With AI procedural generation, you could theoretically get much more fleshed out NPCs who can talk about all sorts of things and "remember" conversations. 

Don't expect super high-quality dialogue, but it could definitely improve upon "Do you get to the cloud district very often?" stock dialogue.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 30, 2024, 07:56:34 AMIts use in Skyrim is interesting.  The devs had neither the time nor resources to give the NPCs anything beyond a couple of stock responses.  With AI procedural generation, you could theoretically get much more fleshed out NPCs who can talk about all sorts of things and "remember" conversations. 

Don't expect super high-quality dialogue, but it could definitely improve upon "Do you get to the cloud district very often?" stock dialogue.

I'm okay with this sort of thing in mods. If TESVI had AI generated responses packaged in, I would not buy it. Skyrim's dialog isn't the best, but it's still human. A person came up with the line, "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee." And the first time I heard that, I thought it was hilarious. Not so much the 10,000th time, but you know. An AI might create a more immersive experience, but you'd lose the hand-crafted charm of human written dialog. Even if AI could figure out how to write stuff like that, it would still feel hollow, because a machine without intention or passion came up with it.

A game like Suck Up, however, can't exist without AI. The entire point of the game is to convince NPCs to invite you, a vampire, into their home. That kind of game can only work with dialog invented on the fly. So I'm kind of okay with this specific case.

The problem is I don't think publishers will keep AI constrained to user made MODs and concepts that require AI in order to work. They're going to try to use AI in games like The Elder Scrolls and Cyberpunk, and I'm afraid a significant portion of the playerbase will be like, "Oh, cool! The NPCs can say anything!"
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I agree.  Like procedural generation before it, AI can help fill in some details and automate some busy work to help devs make better games.  But like procedural generation, it can be used as a crutch to the detriment of the entire project.

the_antithesis

A.I. is going to do what it's currently doing. As that video with Studio Ghibli shows, it doesn't appeal to actual artist. It does appeal to people who don't know how to make art and have no desire to learn.

It will not replace real art. What it will do it poison the fields where those artist cut their teeth and build up their skills. Red Lobster put out commercials with A.I. generated music. Writing that music used to be how someone would make some money until their actual art broke through. That market will dry up because it will be cheaper to make a computer do it.

This is cutting the legs off of art. Rarely does an artist spring fully formed from Zeus's forehead. They have to work their way up, but now a computer will do all that grunt work.

I recall seeing something where there is no one who really understands computers anymore, and therefore no one to fix things when they break. This explains the IT dept at work, now that I think of it.

So now this is creeping into other places. There will be no skilled people who can write prose of music anymore because those lower level markets where they could support themselves while building their skills will be gone and they'll all have to get real jobs.

Gawdzilla Sama

When the "I" stands for "Inspiration" we might have something there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 30, 2024, 11:50:56 AMI recall seeing something where there is no one who really understands computers anymore, and therefore no one to fix things when they break. This explains the IT dept at work, now that I think of it.
I very much doubt this.  If anything, there are more computer experts than ever.  But the ratio of people who know how computers work compared to people who use them has declined over the years as the number of computer users has exploded - virtually everyone now has at least one, even if it's just a cell phone.

And my deepest sympathies to the IT department because the cause of any given problem can now be one of a number of different things.  You have to go down the list and eliminate all sorts of things, hence the "have you tried turned it off then on?" or "is the cable connected?" seemingly dumb questions.

Personal experience: almost all problems originate in either layer 1 or layer 8.