Counter-argument to the free will apologetics

Started by Shol'va, May 27, 2014, 06:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClareTherese

Quote from: Solitary on June 01, 2014, 04:04:59 PM
I would believe any scientist, atheist or believer, that could prove God exists with any kind of reliable evidence. It hasn't happen in over 2,000 years of recorded history. This should get good. Solitary

Exactly! So, why people having been fighting me saying "both sides cannot prove reliable or objective evidence" is strange. Non-believers can say they have lack of evidence but they don't have evidence to say God doesn't exist at all. Believers have various reasons to believe but those reasons can't be proven the way non-believers wish. So, that's why I'm sharing links like the last three I posted. I'm showing things that are spiritual acts that were witnessed and tested, etc. There are things that boost our faith that are beyond personal. God is always showing His existence and power not just through the Bible and the universe but through everyday people.

Solitary

Oh brother we don't need evidence you do! A belief with no evidence is just a belief, but a nonbelief without evidence is not a belief. Why can't believers realize that, or that not everything has a counter argument. Do you believe in the tooth fairy---If you don't prove it! You are getting sillier and sillier in your arguments. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ClareTherese

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 01, 2014, 04:08:33 PM
Too late for that.

I know. You are a robot. Beep. Boop.

I have a friend who is a hardcore christian.

He's a fucking cunt.

So what?

None of this means anything to this free will argument, which is that god allows bad shit to happen to not interfere with free will, but not interfering does interfere with free will, the way pretty much everything interferes with free will. So the argument is invalid.

You live out free will every second of every day. Just like me. Also, your friend may be an extreme Christian but I'm not. I haven't been disrespectful to you either :)

the_antithesis

ClareTherese

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 01, 2014, 04:21:41 PM
Prove it.

Everything you do and say is a choice of yours. But, do you think you're being controlled?

the_antithesis

Quote from: ClareTherese on June 01, 2014, 04:23:08 PM
Everything you do and say is a choice of yours.

Not mine alone. Your choices are completely based upon past experiences and your biology and body chemistry, etc. Because of this, how can you say your will is free?

ClareTherese

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 01, 2014, 04:33:25 PM
Not mine alone. Your choices are completely based upon past experiences and your biology and body chemistry, etc. Because of this, how can you say your will is free?

Yes, there are influences in this world but we choose to act on it or not. Everyone's choice effects another. Do you think you're being controlled?

Solitary

QuoteEverything you do and say is a choice of yours. But, do you think you're being controlled?

The same can be asked of ants, do they think they are being controlled? Animals don't have freewill, how come they can make choices? If they are being controlled, by what? Everything is proceeded by billions of events that determine what happens, even our choices. Even if one changes their mind it is from new events and knowledge. Even believers are controlled by previous events, genetic events, and the configuration of the entire universe. We have will power to move our arm if the nerves are functioning, but if they aren't we can't no matter how much we will them to move. But where does freedom come into that act? How many degrees of freedom are there? If you have three closets to pick from and one has a bomb in it, which one to you pick with your freewill? If you know which one it is in would you pick that one? Our knowledge determines what choices we make, not freewill.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ClareTherese

Quote from: Solitary on June 01, 2014, 04:44:18 PM
The same can be asked of ants, do they think they are being controlled? Animals don't have freewill, how come they can make choices? If they are being controlled, by what? Everything is proceeded by billions of events that determine what happens, even our choices. Even if one changes their mind it is from new events and knowledge. Even believers are controlled by previous events, genetic events, and the configuration of the entire universe. We have will power to move our arm if the nerves are functioning, but if they aren't we can't no matter how much we will them to move. But where does freedom come into that act? How many degrees of freedom are there? If you have three closets to pick from and one has a bomb in it, which one to you pick with your freewill? If you know which one it is in would you pick that one? Our knowledge determines what choices we make, not freewill.

This best describes free will in my belief

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a3.htm

ClareTherese

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 01, 2014, 05:46:40 PM

They can explain free will better than I could. Atheists have copy/pasted links to me. Does it mean they weren't thinking for themselves?

the_antithesis

Quote from: ClareTherese on June 01, 2014, 05:51:58 PM
They can explain free will better than I could.

Then why the fuck are you bothering to post in this thread if you have nothing of value to offer?

ClareTherese

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 01, 2014, 05:58:05 PM
Then why the fuck are you bothering to post in this thread if you have nothing of value to offer?

As you'll notice I haven't copy/pasted in every comment. Just like this one. But, when I did and if I do, so what? If someone else can explain something I believe better then what's the difference? Also, Atheists have copy/pasted links too to better explain what they believe. Does it mean they weren't thinking for themselves? Does that mean they have nothing to offer either?

the_antithesis