Counter-argument to the free will apologetics

Started by Shol'va, May 27, 2014, 06:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: ClareTherese on May 30, 2014, 03:32:49 PM
Once again, neither of us can provide objective evidence. Can we move on?

If CT is going to keep saying things like this, I'm calling "troll".

She is going to keep trying to turn the burden of proof on to us when the claim in question is the one of god. And specifically of this thread, free will and god.
She's only here to piss everyone off and the reason she keeps saying the same thing is she is realizing it's working.

ClareTherese

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 30, 2014, 04:15:16 PM
If CT is going to keep saying things like this, I'm calling "troll".

She is going to keep trying to turn the burden of proof on to us when the claim in question is the one of god. And specifically of this thread, free will and god.
She's only here to piss everyone off and the reason she keeps saying the same thing is she is realizing it's working.

I'll end it with I believe we both share the burden of proof and you disagree. K?

Shol'va

Quote from: ClareTherese on May 30, 2014, 04:15:04 PM
You'll find much of them all over this forum for example.
Give me the top 3 you have been told on this forum.

Shol'va

Quote from: ClareTherese on May 30, 2014, 04:18:09 PM
I'll end it with I believe we both share the burden of proof and you disagree. K?
So if I knock on your door and tell you that I have an elixir that will give you perfect health, then you have the burden to demonstrate why my claim is not true.
This is how you operate. This is what makes you an idiot.

On that note, let me tell you that I rose from the dead a week ago.

Moralnihilist

Logically you are wrong. A lack of belief does not require evidence. If it did the anti evolutionists would be up shits creek. As would people who don't believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, dragons, and a whole host of other fictional characters.

But since you seem to believe that non belief requires evidence I would love to see your evidence for EVERY creature in the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual not existing.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

PickelledEggs

there is a difference between the burden of proof falling on a scientific claim and a claim like yours about god, but you are either too dense to understand it or you're just trolling and not showing any understanding of the difference.

When there is burden of proof on a scientific claim scientists do research and experiments to see if their info is evidence of their claim. If it's correct and proven, then it's published as a fact, otherwise it's nixed.

None of that is able to be said about the any of your claims

Science steps up to their burden of proof. Unlike any of the claims for supernatural things

Sent via your mom.

Berati

No, not K.
Belief has nothing to do with burden of proof. It's a logical approach to investigating things and you are suggesting that you have every right to believe an illogical approach is equally valid. People here are getting upset because you refuse to accept that you are wrong on this point and refuse to concede the point.
How can we have a reasonable discussion with someone who refuses to be reasonable?

For instance:

"All wood burns, therefore all that burns is wood!"
This is a logical fallacy. There is no debate or belief involved in it not being true.
What you are doing is saying.
"Hey, you think the above statement is false and I think it's true. We are each allowed our beliefs. K?"

But no, you are not allowed to make this kind of mistake or else no reasonable discussion can follow.

You are insisting that we allow that your illogical approach is just as valid as our logical approach.
Not only that, you refuse to admit or even consider that your approach is illogical no matter how often or slowly it's explained to you and it's pissing people off.
What else would you expect?

Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

the_antithesis

Free will is a stupid cop out.

If you believe in god, you can prove free will right now.

Stop believing in god. Just choose to not believe in god. That's all you have to do and you will prove yourself right.

ClareTherese

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 31, 2014, 11:54:39 AM
Free will is a stupid cop out.

If you believe in god, you can prove free will right now.

Stop believing in god. Just choose to not believe in god. That's all you have to do and you will prove yourself right.

Lol I'm choosing not to stop believing in God because I believe in God. The Atheists who came to believe chose to continue believing and believers
who once believed stopped and became non-believers for their own reasons. All had free will and chose what to do.

ClareTherese

Quote from: Berati on May 31, 2014, 09:24:57 AM
No, not K.
Belief has nothing to do with burden of proof. It's a logical approach to investigating things and you are suggesting that you have every right to believe an illogical approach is equally valid. People here are getting upset because you refuse to accept that you are wrong on this point and refuse to concede the point.
How can we have a reasonable discussion with someone who refuses to be reasonable?

For instance:

"All wood burns, therefore all that burns is wood!"
This is a logical fallacy. There is no debate or belief involved in it not being true.
What you are doing is saying.
"Hey, you think the above statement is false and I think it's true. We are each allowed our beliefs. K?"

But no, you are not allowed to make this kind of mistake or else no reasonable discussion can follow.

You are insisting that we allow that your illogical approach is just as valid as our logical approach.
Not only that, you refuse to admit or even consider that your approach is illogical no matter how often or slowly it's explained to you and it's pissing people off.
What else would you expect?

My entire time on this forum people have been demanding burden of proof from me. To which I reply telling them I can't provide it and they already know I can't but they still ask. Non-believers can't prove God doesn't exist either. So, both sides of the discussions are at an impasse. All we can do is have our reasons as to why we believe and why we don't. We can together contemplate many of the same universal questions on God that we all can't find an answer for too. Other than that, how can anyone provide objective evidence regarding the spiritual? All I've heard is that there's no historical evidence to prove Jesus and God's existence. But, there's only proven historical evidence on Jesus's baptism and crucifixion. There's Saints who were able to perform miracles, bilocate, receive the stigmata, etc. Many things that God did through them to help build faith. Those actions were witnessed, examined and proven to be legit. So, there's many other ways besides personal that gave and increased my faith.

ClareTherese

Quote from: Moralnihilist on May 30, 2014, 04:22:02 PM
Logically you are wrong. A lack of belief does not require evidence. If it did the anti evolutionists would be up shits creek. As would people who don't believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, dragons, and a whole host of other fictional characters.

But since you seem to believe that non belief requires evidence I would love to see your evidence for EVERY creature in the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual not existing.

I've been told on here by some people that God doesn't exist and I'm a liar and so that's why I said to those people "Prove it then". If an Atheist is going to say that then obviously he/she should share with the class how he/she found that out if they can. But, he/she couldn't so why they said that is beyond me. I said and will say again "I believe in God but I can't provide objective evidence. It's spiritual." There's things in this world that have been proven to be of spiritual nature and it's things like that that also built my faith and continue to.

PickelledEggs

CT, how flexible is your spine? I'm surprised at how far you have your head up your ass.

ClareTherese

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 31, 2014, 02:39:14 PM
CT, how flexible is your spine? I'm surprised at how far you have your head up your ass.

K

ClareTherese

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 31, 2014, 02:39:14 PM

What's your theory or belief on how everything came to be?

PickelledEggs

Quote from: ClareTherese on May 31, 2014, 02:57:26 PM
What's your theory or belief on how everything came to be?
Everything?

Everything came from the big bang. It's not my theory, but it's the theory that science is able to explain through math and actually looking at the universe around us. How and why the big bang happened, no one knows yet because the information is incomplete.

It's important to understand that the information is incomplete though, and instead of jumping to conclusions like God made the universe, keep searching for answers. That is the difference between you and us. You give an answer that cannot meet the burden of proof. We give answers that only have already met their burden of proof.

You want to check the claims that science makes? Look them up. They can be sited in refereed journals that have been checked over and over again for accuracy.

Evidence or GTFO. Bottom line.