News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

An apology and a clarification

Started by Contemporary Protestant, April 08, 2014, 12:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shol'va on April 08, 2014, 09:08:19 PM
I used the term hostile in place of its synonims, which are unfriendly, antagonistic, unkind, etc.
That said, I wouldn't want to see you upset. That is to say, I wouldn't want to be on your bad side :)
I have about a hundred cousins in this area, 90% Southern Baptist and 90% holy-rollin' assholes. Compared to what I dish those idiots I'm being nice.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aileron

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 08, 2014, 08:29:40 PM
But I believe because Jesus was without sin, and had to suffer the fires of hell for three days, I can go to Heaven some day

Why do you believe this?  What evidence do you have to support its truth? 
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 08, 2014, 08:29:40 PM

But I believe because Jesus .....had to suffer the fires of hell for three days,

er.......wat? I mean I said I wouldn't bother you again...but WHAT? Holy shit now yer actually INVENTING scripture? Holy fuck...LOLOLOL

what a nut......

okay. I'm done again....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

charde

Well, I'm assuming he's getting it from stuff like this:

MATTHEW 12
…39But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign; and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet; 40for just as JONAH WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE BELLY OF THE SEA MONSTER, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41"The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.…

Acts 2:31
31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, zthat His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption.

1 peter 3
19 After being made alive,d he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spiritslâ€"20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patientlym in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.n

(The imprisoned spirits refer to this: 2 Peter 2:4 “For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, [Greek for hell is Tartarus] putting them in chains of darkness [literally gloomy dungeons] to be held for judgment....” That's where Jesus supposedly went, to show his victory over the imprisoned fallen angels.)

The Apostle's Creed (and the nicene Creed but in more words?) also say the following:
I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended into hell...
The third day he arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
from there he shall come to judge the living and the dead.

Empirically, did it happen? We can't say that at all.

But yeah, there are various verses to allude to something along those lines + the standard creed from way back as early as 390AD?

Solitary

That is true according to Scripture. Christ had to go to hell before going to heaven. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Contemporary Protestant

Thank you Solitary and Charde, that is exactly what I was going to say

Feral Atheist

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 08, 2014, 07:28:33 AM
I believe it to be true, and when something doesn't make sense, i look at myself and say "what am I doing wrong" or "how can I look at this differently", A lot of OT rules were for health reasons and to protect the Ancient Israelites .

To put it simply

"The Bible is the undisputed word of God however, the reader and the translator are often wrong"

btw I try to learn as much ancient Greek, hebrew, et cetera to further my understanding
So you don't wear clothing made from different fabrics, you believe that god requires you to kill those that would work on the sabbath, and the rest of the ancient goat herder ignorance.  Right?

Or are we just taking the nuts we like out of the bowl of mixed nuts.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solitary on April 08, 2014, 09:29:24 PM
That is true according to Scripture. Christ had to go to hell before going to heaven. Solitary
But he didn't spend three days there.

Times approx.:

6 pm Friday he craps out, temporarily.
Saturday.
6 am Sunday he's already out of the tomb.

36 hours tops. And all the time he's in Hell he knows he's going to Heaven for the rest of eternity. I feel so bad for him.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Contemporary Protestant

Um Jesus worked on the Sabbath and, the clothes thing is only in the cultural-context of the ancient Israelites.

Here is a more detailed explanation

http://www.thinkingchristian.net/posts/2013/01/why-wearing-clothes-of-mixed-fabrics-lev-1919-was-wrong/

And where on earth did u get those times? I have never heard of them

AllPurposeAtheist

Undisputed, huh? Maybe I'm missing something.  It seems to be some dispute around the world about the exact words of god and dispute of which god or if there even is a god. THE VERY DEFINITION OF UNDISPUTED. :pidu:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Quote from: charde on April 08, 2014, 09:27:14 PM
Well, I'm assuming he's getting it from stuff like this:

MATTHEW 12
…39But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign; and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet; 40for just as JONAH WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE BELLY OF THE SEA MONSTER, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41"The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.…
does not imply that the holy boy spent time in HELL....

QuoteActs 2:31
31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, zthat His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption.
specifically refers to David, not the holy boy

Quote1 peter 3
19 After being made alive,d he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spiritslâ€"20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patientlym in the days of Noah while the ark was being built
in no way implys the holy boy spent time in hell as a patient

Quote(The imprisoned spirits refer to this: 2 Peter 2:4 “For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, [Greek for hell is Tartarus] putting them in chains of darkness [literally gloomy dungeons] to be held for judgment....” That's where Jesus supposedly went, to show his victory over the imprisoned fallen angels.)
which would prove that that the holy boy was not a guest there eh?

QuoteThe Apostle's Creed (and the nicene Creed but in more words?) also say the following:
I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended into hell...
The third day he arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
from there he shall come to judge the living and the dead.

again, proves nothing more than the holy hopscotch got a pass to lord his position over the billions souls who never even heard of this particular god...
again, the boy did not spend time in HELL as a sinner but as a GOD....please you guys embarrass yourselves
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

Undisputed meaning, all christians accept that it is the word of God, but how to read it is often debated

charde

Quote from: aitm on April 08, 2014, 09:41:02 PM

does not imply that the holy boy spent time in HELL....
specifically refers to David, not the holy boy
in no way implys the holy boy spent time in hell as a patient
which would prove that that the holy boy was not a guest there eh?
again, proves nothing more than the holy hopscotch got a pass to lord his position over the billions souls who never even heard of this particular god...

Sorry i wasted your time and mine.

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 08, 2014, 09:42:23 PM
Undisputed meaning, all christians accept that it is the word of God, but how to read it is often debated
because your "GOD" is too fucking stupid to write a simple fucking book to convince all humanity, and instead prefers to let billions...BILLIONS of humans suffer in hell for all eternity because he is too fucking stupid to write a simple book so that all humans can understand it? REALLY? I mean JESUS FUCKING CHRIST LISTEN TO YOURSELF.....HE IS LETTING BILLIONS OF CHILDREN BURN FOREVER BECAUSE HE IS TOO FUCKING STUPID TO WRITE A SIMPLE BOOK FOR ALL HUMANITY TO FUCKING UNDERSTAND............jesus, how fucking inhuman do YOU have to be to not be pissed that all those children are being tortured just for the fucking fun of it.

aitm

Quote from: charde on April 08, 2014, 09:43:01 PM
Sorry i wasted your time and mine.
as you should be...its is written rather simply