News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

who here hates bill o'reilly

Started by the concerned atheist, March 27, 2014, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibliofagus

He gave us "Tides go in, tides go out. You can't explain That!"
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

stromboli

I don't hate B O'Reilly because I don't watch B O'Reilly.

Shol'va

Trust me on this, you are better off not knowing.
But, if I were to sum him up, he is the embodiment of a lot of things you hate about the typical American conservative.
For more evidence, go to YouTube and weep.

However, what people seem to miss is that he is an entertainer. He doesn't honestly believe half the shit he spews on his show, and a lot of time when he gets angry with guests etc, it's just an act.
To get angry at Bill, as far as I think, is akin to getting angry towards an actor that played a hated role in a movie.

josephpalazzo

Shol'va

Does it make him a worse person because he is pretending? He is an entertainer, so I can't fault him for that. I think that the people that are the problem is his audience. It doesn't matter how good of an entertainer or fake person he is, if I take two seconds to use my brain I can realize what he is about. So ultimately it is the audience's fault.
But on a larger scale yes, I do think the propaganda machine like Fox News is a real problem, and the best weapon against that is factual knowledge and challenging their bullshit.
That is why my mind was blown when Fox decided to pick up the show Cosmos

AllPurposeAtheist

O'Really writes all those 'The killing of...' books.  I can't wait for The Killing of O'REALLY?...
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 27, 2014, 02:24:30 PM
I wish I could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for half of what he thinks he's worth.
Carefully, he's a legit millionaire.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shol'va

drunkenshoe yeah, you're absolutely right and I know what you mean. Far too few people engage their brains anymore, everything must be already processed for them mentally and then spoon fed by "news" shows like O'Reilly. Bill knows his audience, knows what the audience expects him to say and he says what his audience wants to hear.

Have you ever seen Jon Stewart? He has a show on Comedy Central.
We are in real trouble when a comedian on a comedy show (The Daily Show) presents a more honest political view (a lot of times he rips into Fox News).
Watch this debate between Bill and Jon, you will see what I mean. It is both interesting and hilarious:

http://youtu.be/UQYNQuPVErg

Shol'va

Hmm, weird. It works for me. Try this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPqXIfDYlZg

Or look for Jon Steward vs Bill O'Reilly. It is a debate from 2012

Shol'va

Okay, that is what I suspected but I didn't want to say anything without being sure.
In that case, you may want to look into how to use a proxy or TOR (The Onion Router, a program that makes your browsing anonymous).
Basically, the easiest way I can explain it (and it has been a long week at work and my brain is tired) is that instead of connecting to everything you visit on the internet directly, you connect to a proxy first and then browse the rest of the internet through that proxy. So there would be no way for any information to be censored by your government because they would not be able to tell what sites you are on.
However, the risk with that is if your government is having your internet provider monitor that activity, it can be observed and reported. And they typically know that people that use proxies are trying to bypass something.
If this is something that interests you at all and need help, let me know. I don't know to what extent your government is watching what people do on the internet. I have not been looking at it closely because I haven't had time :(
By connecting through a proxy, as far as atheistforums.com, youtube.com, google.com and anyone else would think that you are that proxy. Essentially your identity becomes that proxy (a technical name for an intermediary; think of it like a gateway). If the proxy you use is based in England for example, everyone would think you're from there.

Internet censorship is easy to bypass, but the problem/risk is to what extent do they watch what you do and what consequences exist.

Shol'va

Twitter a week ago, YouTube blocked today, rumors that Facebook will be banned tomorrow.
www.hotspotshield.com

PickelledEggs

I actually think he is hilarious to watch. In a borderline frustrating way... Almost everyone that goes on his show knows more about everything and anything than he does and he always looks like a fool. I kind of feel bad that he does that to himself. :lol:

Atheon

He's a right-wing Republican, a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, a creationist, and a liar. For a supposed journalist and interviewer, he behaves most unprofessionally and unethically. Despite all this, he smugly fancies himself legitimate.

Not much love coming from me.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 27, 2014, 06:55:37 PM
Carefully, he's a legit millionaire.

It says a lot about Americans being such a bunch of fucking morons.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 28, 2014, 04:44:57 AM
It says a lot about Americans being such a bunch of fucking morons.
Rupert Murdoch's from the Antipodes, yes?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers