News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Do animals "think"

Started by Glitch, March 24, 2014, 07:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch

Here's a good question for you all, I think I mentioned it in my introduction, but I recently posted it on Facebook and got... 1 interesting reply... I'm disappointed... Anyways-

QuoteDo animals think? Like humans think? Or is it all Instincts? And if animals do not think, and everything they do is instinctual, then what is it that makes what we do on an every day basis different from animals?

>>>Free will is not a valid answer. So shove that thought where the sun don't shine.<<<

Johan

Umm... People are animals so...
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

AllPurposeAtheist

Yep, my old dog Bear instinctively opened the refrigerator door, stole a pound of butter out of the meat tray then closed the door.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

I don't have any studies on hand, but dogs have been said to have emotions. Although Pavlov's dog could be a good example of a study of how animals can learn and learn to "expect" and therefore think.

If you wan't to know what a dog is thinking, you need to talk to Eddie McDowd, otherwise I have no clue how you would find it out.

Glitch

Finally some intelligent replies. My friend on Faceboobs mentioned something about Crows and how intelligent they are... I'm secretly massively collecting as much information as possible so that I can write up like... a 300 page book on legitimate proof as to why animals "Think" as humans do. Then give it to my old Religion teacher and rub it in her face that I actually remembered that fight from like... 5 years ago and intend to make sure she no longer misinforms her students about animals.

AllPurposeAtheist

I kind of doubt dogs worry much about things like wearing a path in new carpet or if their fur makes their asses look fat, but they do think.

Mermaid

Absolutely they do.
For that paper, I might start with shared DNA, and how we are all related if we go back far enough. There is no reason to believe we are special. We are just another species of animal, just like the rest of them. We are the least specialized species, I think, and we are pretty smart and capable. But we are animals like everything else. There are animal behavior studies that clearly demonstrate cognitive ability in non humans. The most famous writing about this that I can think of is Jane Goodall's observation of chimpanzees of Gombe using tools.
You might not get a very good grade for writing the paper, though.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

I'd say we as a species are very specialized, but not for brute force hunting. Our brains are capable of a lot of different types of thought, our hands are highly specialized with opposing thumbs and on and on, but in the wild, naked and completely unarmed competing for food we kinda suck.

stromboli

PickelledEggs

And even our own emotions are part of the limbic system, which basically comes from our reptilian ancestors.

stromboli

Any dog owner will tell you that dogs not only read your emotions but also learn to anticipate events from your actions. My dog knows when I put my hat on with my sunglasses that I'm going for a drive, and will wait by the door with his tail wagging, expecting to go. Also knows not to jump on the bed when my wife is sleeping during the day, but is allowed to at night when I go to bed. Shit like that.

Also, elephants recognize specific people and remember events. elephants that grew up together and then were separated for long periods will show celebratory behavior when they meet again.

Shol'va

Well, to start off, I think we are going to struggle with coining a satisfactory definition of "thinking" or what "thought" is.

SGOS

Yes, dogs operate mostly on instinct, just like humans.  Humans also think a little bit.  Dogs think a little bit less.  I think.

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on March 24, 2014, 09:35:05 PM
Yes, dogs operate mostly on instinct, just like humans.  Humans also think a little bit.  Dogs think a little bit less.  I think.

We find common ground with bacon.

AllPurposeAtheist

Not to mention sniffing pretty ladies crotches at inappropriate times.