News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Afterlife

Started by Insult to Rocks, January 08, 2014, 04:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insult to Rocks

So, I consider myself fairly knowledgable about religion, but one aspect I distinctly lack an acute understanding of is the afterlife. I'm only familiar with the Catholic perception of hell, and I know next to nothing about their perceptions of heaven and purgatory. Can someone fill me in? I am also intersted in how the afterlife is portrayed in other religions and cultures.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

AllPurposeAtheist

Afterlife is kinda like after birth except it's not real.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Heaven is sort of like an eternal blow job. It's awesome at first, then you cum and don't want anymore, but they keep on going. Next thing you know your dick is all wrinkly and sore, but they keep on going.

Purgatory is like the DMV, except the wait times are at least twice as long.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

leo

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Afterlife is kinda like after birth except it's not real.
So you are saying , I will never met the Tooth fairy in person. :-|
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

leo

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"So, I consider myself fairly knowledgable about religion, but one aspect I distinctly lack an acute understanding of is the afterlife. I'm only familiar with the Catholic perception of hell, and I know next to nothing about their perceptions of heaven and purgatory. Can someone fill me in? I am also intersted in how the afterlife is portrayed in other religions and cultures.
Most hindus believe in samsara . The circle of many births with the soul concept . Every one can be born in heavens as gods , as humans , as hell beings , as ghosts and as animals. They call this reincarnation. Buddhists believe in samsara too. But they reject the soul concept. They call this process of multiple births rebirth. I don't see the difference between rebirth and reincarnation. To me is the same thing . Secular buddhists don't believe in rebirth of course. Muslims like christians believe in judgement day and the soul with resurrection crap. Muslims believe in heaven and hell. Some believe hell is not eternal. Jews don't believe in hell. Most Jews  believe in judgement day and believe it or not some jews believe in reincarnation. Jains like buddhists and hindus believe in the samsara crap.

leo

Most christians believe in judgement day with the soul resurrection crap and eternal heaven and hell. Christians like Roman catholics believe in heaven , hell and purgatory with the judgment day crap .The Mormons believe in even crazier crap. Protestants don't believe in purgatory.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "leo"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Afterlife is kinda like after birth except it's not real.
So you are saying , I will never met the Tooth fairy in person. :-|
Visit the dentist. Those hot dental hygienists are as close as you're getting.  I went today to get my stitches out and she was hawt! Her name is Tammy.  :)

Thumpalumpacus

I was told that the afterlife consisted of hot nurses and caramel fudge sundaes.
<insert witty aphorism here>

mykcob4

Christians believe that when God judges the world he will weigh what every single person has done in the world and grant the immediate death or eternal life. Now the banks are looking forward to this because many people will live long enough to pay off the credit cards!

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I was told that the afterlife consisted of hot nurses and caramel fudge sundaes.
And bad enemas..  :-&  :shock:

GrinningYMIR

The only thing that would ever make sense to me would be reincarnation; only because our existing energy would be passed on to new life which in that regard is reincarnation

Otherwise I doubt there is anything afterwards though I admit some times I day dream about other universes and afterlifes
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

AllPurposeAtheist

The only afterlife that makes sense to me is if you die in a forest and the critters eat you and in turn they die and are eaten and on and on. We KNOW that is possible,  but it's merely nourishment passed along..

Sal1981

I liked the take of the first issue of a existential philosophy comic:

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/1

It's pretty glum, but gives a well-deserved perspective of what life is, compared to people's idea that the "I" is some permeating & persistent identity.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Sal1981"I liked the take of the first issue of a existential philosophy comic:

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/1

It's pretty glum, but gives a well-deserved perspective of what life is, compared to people's idea that the "I" is some permeating & persistent identity.

I...I liked it

but it is sad.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

AllPurposeAtheist

I love the brush and inkwash artwork. Back in another life I learned the same techniques and was pretty good at it. Believe it or not youngsters that ink wash technique was the standard for newspaper advertising art. My dad  was a newspaper man and droned on and on at me to learn it then some shithead invented computer graphics.  :lol: