News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Education is the Devil

Started by Cyanne, September 01, 2013, 11:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: "Cyanne"My mother says that college poisoned my younger brother's mind and this is why he de converted.)
Most theists that attend college still keep their beliefs, although college does present some challenges to superstitious thinking.  In my case, college was just part of a much larger array of factors that led me from theism.  I probably would have dropped my belief in God without college, although I don't know that for sure.

PghPanther

A biblical literalist claims absolute truth and absolute authority within their binary brain.......
                .......there is no room in the world view of a Christian literalist to accept critical thinking when it challenges their scriptures.........

Critical thinking is the cornerstone of science.............the scientific method cannot succeed within any human endeavor without it.

One problem with the literalist.............all the comforts, advances and technology of current day civilization is the result of critical thinking through the scientific method. Their lives are bathed in this critical thinking yet they deny it.

Why don't they try living according to their biblical ways of civilization........good luck with medicine, sewage.....building structures and electricity for starters...

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Cyanne"I wondered if there are any of you who have had people blame your education?
No, I am thankful to my education and what it taught me about science and history among many other things (I studied about early Khalifas in Islam). I think they are burdening students here in India with more detailed syllabus, tougher studies. Private schools also want to show that their students excel in sports also. Now, there is a limit to what the students should be burdened with. They are being kill-joys.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

prophet

For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "prophet"For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
I respectfully disagree.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

Quote from: "prophet"For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Does The Lord have a mouth? I thought he was, I dunno, ephemeral rather than tangible.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

dgirl1986

I have not heard education be blamed for anything here, but I hear it all the time on american atheist podcasts I listen to.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Does The Lord have a mouth? I thought he was, I dunno, ephemeral rather than tangible.
I read this and immediately started singing "God Am" by Alice in Chains

"Sure god is all powerful, but does he have lips?.... Woaaah"

Savior2006

Quote from: "Atheon"Fundies and right-wingers hate education because education fills people's minds with knowledge, teaches them how to think, and inspired them to question. They fear this, because they know that their power is dependent on the ignorance of the people.

In a nutshell.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Brian37

Quote from: "Cyanne"My mother says that college poisoned my younger brother's mind and this is why he de converted. Education polluted his pure Christian worldview. She has implied to me that because of this, she is against sending/letting go my other younger siblings to college. Isn't that nice? She used to be so proud of my brother, he was always the favorite and could do nothing wrong. She bragged in the beginning that he was going to a good college. Then he started "getting ideas" and making "weird comments" on Facebook (In other words, posting about recent scientific discoveries and EVOLUTION!!!! AAHHH!) and suddenly that good college was "worldly" and "corrupt" and was rotting his brain. And that was even before he was an atheist.

In the world of religion truth doesn't actually matter. Only whether something supports your faith.

I wondered if there are any of you who have had people blame your education?

(If you asked me, I would say that my mother is right about my brother.  :-D We just don't agree on whether that's good or bad.)

I am catching crap from fellow atheists for calling religion poison, this is yet another example of why I call religion poison.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

The idea that it is better to be comfortable with a mere belief than it is to test data to insure quality of data is fucking insane.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Savior2006

You think with all that wisdom he would've had the sense to put the Tree of Knowledge somewhere were Adam and Eve couldn't get it. :Hangman:
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

frosty

Quote from: "Brian37"
Quote from: "Cyanne"My mother says that college poisoned my younger brother's mind and this is why he de converted. Education polluted his pure Christian worldview. She has implied to me that because of this, she is against sending/letting go my other younger siblings to college. Isn't that nice? She used to be so proud of my brother, he was always the favorite and could do nothing wrong. She bragged in the beginning that he was going to a good college. Then he started "getting ideas" and making "weird comments" on Facebook (In other words, posting about recent scientific discoveries and EVOLUTION!!!! AAHHH!) and suddenly that good college was "worldly" and "corrupt" and was rotting his brain. And that was even before he was an atheist.

In the world of religion truth doesn't actually matter. Only whether something supports your faith.

I wondered if there are any of you who have had people blame your education?

(If you asked me, I would say that my mother is right about my brother.  :-D We just don't agree on whether that's good or bad.)

I am catching crap from fellow atheists for calling religion poison, this is yet another example of why I call religion poison.

Hmmm, I would ASSume it's because good ol' Chairman Mao famously said "religion is poison" and perhaps the phrase is associated with intolerance and tyranny?

ApostateLois

If this is true, why doesn't the Bible tell us how to cure diseases, prevent birth defects, or anything else that is useful and would improve the plight of humanity? There is nothing particularly wise about the Bible. It doesn't teach us any morals that we couldn't learn from other sources. (Heck, Harry Potter teaches better morals than the Bible.) So, what wisdom, exactly, are we supposed to be learning from the Lord?
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Solitary

QuoteFor the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.