News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Education is the Devil

Started by Cyanne, September 01, 2013, 11:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "aileron"
Quote from: "Cyanne"She has implied to me that because of this, she is against sending/letting go my other younger siblings to college.

It's not her choice.
Letting them go may not be, but sending them certainly is.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aileron

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
Quote from: "aileron"
Quote from: "Cyanne"She has implied to me that because of this, she is against sending/letting go my other younger siblings to college.

It's not her choice.
Letting them go may not be, but sending them certainly is.

If by sending we're talking materially supporting them, then yes.  For the letting part, sometimes the newness of being independent doesn't fully dawn on young adults.

We have a nephew who wants an engineering degree.  His nutjob parents were bullying him to go to a piece of shit fundamentalist university they claimed, "Has the 10th best engineering program in the nation."  When I checked on it, there was no engineering school there at all and the school would have saddled him with a worthless divinity or liberal arts degree for $200k.  

My wife worked her butt off helping him get into a public university with an excellent engineering program.  She worked a lot to help him get grants and scholarships that will make him nearly debt free when he graduates.  One day on Facebook he thanked Jesus for getting him into such a good engineering school and without being burdened with debt.  I reminded him that he may want to thank his aunt too.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Solitary

Ignorance is bliss, until you need a good job.  :rolleyes:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

It's that old tree.. you know..the one where THAT woman decided to try out fresh fruit and gained **GASP** KNOWLEDGE!  :shock: All the evil in the world came from THAT single incident..  [-X
I don't suppose your brother was taught by a talking snake by any chance..  8-[
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cyanne

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I don't suppose your brother was taught by a talking snake by any chance..  8-[

Before, or after going to college? ;)

We were homeschooled . :-o

...just kidding just kidding... My mom is crazy sometimes but probably doesn't deserve to be called a snake.. Probably...

MrsSassyPants

He means that it is ridiculous that the bible says "in the beginning a snake spoke to Eve". Lmao. I think that's what he means anyway.  In other words Christianity began from a talking snake.  Lol.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Colanth

Quote from: "aileron"My wife worked her butt off helping him get into a public university with an excellent engineering program.  She worked a lot to help him get grants and scholarships that will make him nearly debt free when he graduates.  One day on Facebook he thanked Jesus for getting him into such a good engineering school and without being burdened with debt.
He may have an engineering degree now, but I think before he's let loose on the world, he needs to get an education.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Bobbotov

Colanth

Okay, so Barton and his "historian" need to be educated also.  Since probably 90% of the human population of the planet falls into that category, this isn't earth-shattering news.  (The first thing Barton needs to learn is that correlation isn't causation.  Back when he was talking about, women in America wore only skirts or dresses in public, and my proof that their attire caused us to be number one is just as good as his proof that it was prayer.  Or maybe it was the invention of jet engines that dropped us out of first place.)

ApostateLois

Your mother needs to be reminded that if it weren't for education and higher learning, all of the things that make her life easier and more enjoyable would not exist. I am talking about cars, telephones, refrigeration, electricity, plumbing, computers, medicine, surgical techniques, improved pre- and post-natal care, air conditioning and central heating, and the million other things we take for granted in our modern society. GOD did not provide all those things for us, HUMANS did, through being creative, inventive, and intelligent--and often, through taking advantage of the higher education that was available to them.  This is especially true in modern medicine, which could not exist without higher education.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Bobbotov

Quote from: "ApostateLois"GOD did not provide all those things for us, HUMANS did, through being creative, inventive, and intelligent--and often, through taking advantage of the higher education that was available to them.  This is especially true in modern medicine, which could not exist without higher education.

And they provided God to boot without higher education. Maybe through lower education.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "Solitary"Ignorance is bliss, until you need a good job.  :rolleyes:  Solitary

Just become a preacher.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Colanth

Quote from: "ApostateLois"Your mother needs to be reminded that if it weren't for education and higher learning, all of the things that make her life easier and more enjoyable would not exist. I am talking about cars, telephones, refrigeration, electricity, plumbing, computers, medicine, surgical techniques, improved pre- and post-natal care, air conditioning and central heating, and the million other things we take for granted in our modern society. GOD did not provide all those things for us, HUMANS did, through being creative, inventive, and intelligent
Then why do these people always thank God for the things that other people give them?

Oh.

Plu

QuoteIf it happened and happening, god lets it happen.

It's a good thing god allowed nuclear weapons to happen, I guess. That's really been great for spreading the good word and enabling peace on earth.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteIf it happened and happening, god lets it happen.

It's a good thing god allowed nuclear weapons to happen, I guess. That's really been great for spreading the good word and enabling peace on earth.
Of course. If there are no humans left to wage war, there will be peace on Earth. It's fool proof.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel