News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Mr.Obvious, September 04, 2023, 06:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 30, 2024, 04:07:43 PMIs that the one that has lobstrosities?
encountered those rhis week
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 13, 2024, 12:34:54 PMencountered those rhis week
IIRC, they don't show up until the second book?

Mr.Obvious

the_antithesis

dig-a-chick

Seriously, I only read the first two books and don't recall any of what happens in either of them except for, I dunno, vague ideas. The impression I get is that, conceptually these books cover what would be the first two chapters of a regular book.

I'm easily discouraged by big, fat books. I was trying to read Infinite Jest a couple weeks ago and just wasn't enjoying it, so I stopped. I read It and Battlefield Earth when I was younger and stopped reading both about halfway through for about a month before completing them.

I mostly got annoyed that I had read two books and it didn't feel like the story proper had started yet. I had the third book all those years ago, but never cracked it open. I guess I was just done.

Unbeliever

I heard that Battlefield Earth was the worst movie John Travolta has made. I've never read the book, though.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Dragonflight, by Anne McCaffrey.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 13, 2024, 01:57:02 PMI heard that Battlefield Earth was the worst movie John Travolta has made. I've never read the book, though.

Any catalog that contains the Devil's Rain makes for a lively debate as-to which is the worst movie they ever made.

But, yeah. The movie is pretty bad. Interestingly, it stops about halfway through the book. They were hoping to make a sequel to finish the story, but it was terrible, so, no one wanted to pay for more of it.

Mr.Obvious

My boss gave me a collection of 'sandman' comics.
It is hsi favorite comcic series.
Halfway through the first collection book, of three. I wouldn't go as far qs to agree wirh it being my favorite set of media. But it is pretty darn good, i gotta say.