News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Will Putin Invade Ukraine?

Started by Cassia, January 20, 2022, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Calls to Surrender Hotline increase by 70% after Russian helicopter pilot defects

Can't blame 'em.  That guy got $500,000 usd in his pocket and got his family to live in a country that isn't a sh**hole.  That's a helluva incentive.

Hydra009

Due to noise complaints (?!) a british base has reduced its training of Ukrainian soldiers

I mean, I get it, those bases are working overtime after a relative lull and the locals don't like hearing WWIII outside their door.  But people who live in Kharkiv and Kherson and Dnipro don't like hearing WWIII outside their door as well, and their situation is a lot more serious.  So now might be a good time for that stiff upper lip Britain is famous for.  At the very least, compensate by balancing it out with activity at other bases.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 12, 2023, 04:17:30 PM

Not a crossover I necessarily expected, but one of my favorite gun historians interviewed a Western instructor on his experience with the Ukrainians. Nothing incredibly shocking, but some more fun detail as to why Ukraine has been able to surprise and Russia... likewise surprises, in the opposite direction.
Those Prigozhin comments... oof!

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 12, 2023, 11:12:47 PMThose Prigozhin comments... oof!

I don't think those could have aged any better.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Hydra009

Russian Black Sea Fleet Remnants repair base in Sevastopol struck by Ukraine

QuoteTwo ships were struck, according to an unofficial Russian military blogger: a diesel-electric submarine "Rostov-on-Don" and the large landing ship "Minsk," which caught fire. Both vessels were undergoing repairs in dry dock.

QuoteWithout naming the ships, Russia's Defense Ministry said the two damaged vessels "will be fully restored and will continue their combat service as part of their fleets."

The landing ship Minsk is damaged beyond all possible repair and will either join the Moskva or be disassembled.  Either way, it will not resume service.  Previously, it was one of eight ships intended to invade and capture Odessa.  Those plans, much like the ship, have been scuttled.

No word if the submarine will be underwater in the future intentionally or unintentionally.

And it almost goes without saying that the Crimean bridge is closed (due to beach party :P)

Hydra009

The day will not save them, and we own the night

QuoteA Ukrainian tank loader said his brigade is using its new, modern Leopard 2A6 tanks like "nocturnal predators," taking advantage of their night vision to target Russia in low light.

Yurii, a tank loader with Ukraine's 47th Mechanized Brigade, said in a video for Ukraine's military that "We mainly operate at night and at dawn."

QuoteHe said its night vision device gives visibility for up to 2.5 miles, "allowing us to effectively engage the enemy and achieve close to a 100% success rate."

Hydra009

Yeah, that ship is toast.  It likely wasn't doing well beforehand since its was undergoing repairs, and having most of its components tilted and set ablaze by a storm shadow probably didn't help.

Fun fact: built in Poland between 1975 and 1991.  Very unlikely to get a manufacturer refurbishment.

The wiki already lists the submarine in the past tense, but we'll see.

ferdmonger

Superficial damage.  A good body shop can put that back together in a week.

Unbeliever

Sure, they'll just buff those scratches right out... 🤔
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

ferdmonger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_jESfPLBc

I'm gonna wash that gray right outta my hair...

Somehow reminded me of this.

Unbeliever

Hey, I actually remember that commercial!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009