Is the bible and jesus really true?

Started by luke, June 09, 2021, 05:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

Hello guys this is my first time in this forum and I just had a question. So I was debating my friend about the existence of god and he preassumed the bible and jesus are true and I asked him how is he certain. And he told me that with my logic we cant be sure if newton or sokrates (and others) exist and were real.

So what should I say to him so I can reason with him?

Shiranu

Quote from: luke on June 09, 2021, 05:09:13 PM
Hello guys this is my first time in this forum and I just had a question. So I was debating my friend about the existence of god and he preassumed the bible and jesus are true and I asked him how is he certain. And he told me that with my logic we cant be sure if newton or sokrates (and others) exist and were real.

Unlike Jesus and God, Sokrates and Newton never actually violated the rules of physics or had their entire existence be a logical impossibility, so I think that's a safe place to start questioning the existence of one moreso than the other.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: luke on June 09, 2021, 05:09:13 PM

Do a little research on this site; we have had several discussion threads dealing with the historicity of Jesus and the multitude of the history of (and contents thereof) the bible and other religious documents.

Your instinct is correct.  Both Jesus and god(s) are fictions.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Newton authored and published his scientific works. We have his books, drawings, written correspondence with others, official records, etc. He invented calculus and discovered many facts which we call "Newtonian Physics/Mechanics".

Jesus appears in the scriptures first in Paul's letters that were written decades after his death. These first writings by Paul lack detail as they are "revealed" to him (as in dreams). As the gospels were written later on by unknown authors; oddly more details get filled in about him. Jesus starts checking all the same boxes of a typical 'savior god' popular in those days. There is zero physical scientific evidence of Jesus as of today. The Emperor Constantine converted and decided his Empire would be Christian and so here we are.

I see a trend whereby many Americans can't seem to tell the difference between reality and fiction.

trdsf

I can't speak to Socrates, but there are multiple contemporaneous sources attesting to a historical Isaac Newton, in addition to his own books and letters, the reflecting telescope he himself made -- to say nothing of the official records of his employment at Cambridge, the Royal Mint, the Royal Society, and the House of Commons.  Unless your friend wishes to assert those institutions made up respectively a fictitious student and professor, Master of the Mint, President, and MP, in a way not only consistent with each other, but with decades of other records.

There is nothing contemporaneous about Jesus, nothing he wrote, nothing he made, and the accounts in the gospels are contradictory regarding where and when he was born, the details of his ministry, and the events surrounding his death -- and none of which were written during his reported lifetime, nor supported by external accounts.  There are no indisputable independent accounts attesting to the existence of Jesus; everything hangs on the gospels and they are inconsistent and contradictory among each other.

Advantage Newton.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

I don't know about Jesus, but the Bible and the stories about Jesus are most certainly false.  So Jesus of the Bible cannot exist.

aitm

Here is a simple experiment. Read the first chapter of Genesis. Now, don’t just read it..LISTEN to it. Most people read it quickly because it is kind of a mumbo jumbo. But what it says...and really says, is the Heavens are the earth and the “firmament” immediately around the earth. Outside of that is water....everywhere. The stars, sun, moon are all within this “firmament”. In other words, the heavens stops at the blue we see above our earth, then it is water. Because how else could water fall from the sky if it wasn’t water.
Later this is reinforced when the babble suggests that a third of the stars fell to the earth...how is that possible?Because the stars are just little twinkly things that a good archer and a strong bow could probably hit. Why else does the babble says the sky can be rolled up like a scroll? How else could a flying dragon gather a third of the stars and fling them to earth?

God says he separates the light from the darkness... is before he creates earth within the surrounding water. Then he creates the sun within the firmament....inside the great water surrounding us. So once we fired off our first rocket we should have passed the clouds, stars, sun and moon within a few miles then, whammo! Smack dap into the water that surround us.
But there is lots more whack a doo, if you actually read the babble. Where else can you find such nonsense?
Only in the bat shit crazy world of the babble.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on June 10, 2021, 10:22:22 AMGod says he separates the light from the darkness... is before he creates earth within the surrounding water. Then he creates the sun within the firmament....inside the great water surrounding us. So once we fired off our first rocket we should have passed the clouds, stars, sun and moon within a few miles then, whammo! Smack dap into the water that surround us.

To be fair, that's a pretty good guess for people without any sort of scientific understanding of space.  The sky is blue, water is blue, there's a bunch of celestial bodies seemingly moving around (floating?) up there - water is a very intuitive choice.  100% wrong, but very intuitive.

luke

Quote from: aitm on June 10, 2021, 10:22:22 AM
Here is a simple experiment. Read the first chapter of Genesis. Now, don’t just read it..LISTEN to it. Most people read it quickly because it is kind of a mumbo jumbo. But what it says...and really says, is the Heavens are the earth and the “firmament” immediately around the earth. Outside of that is water....everywhere. The stars, sun, moon are all within this “firmament”. In other words, the heavens stops at the blue we see above our earth, then it is water. Because how else could water fall from the sky if it wasn’t water.
Later this is reinforced when the babble suggests that a third of the stars fell to the earth...how is that possible?Because the stars are just little twinkly things that a good archer and a strong bow could probably hit. Why else does the babble says the sky can be rolled up like a scroll? How else could a flying dragon gather a third of the stars and fling them to earth?

God says he separates the light from the darkness... is before he creates earth within the surrounding water. Then he creates the sun within the firmament....inside the great water surrounding us. So once we fired off our first rocket we should have passed the clouds, stars, sun and moon within a few miles then, whammo! Smack dap into the water that surround us.
But there is lots more whack a doo, if you actually read the babble. Where else can you find such nonsense?
Only in the bat shit crazy world of the babble.

Hi. The thing is my friends says that the old testament with genesis is false and is the word of moses not god. He thinks that the new testament is correct and is bases on true facts.

luke

Quote from: trdsf on June 09, 2021, 09:42:54 PM
I can't speak to Socrates, but there are multiple contemporaneous sources attesting to a historical Isaac Newton, in addition to his own books and letters, the reflecting telescope he himself made -- to say nothing of the official records of his employment at Cambridge, the Royal Mint, the Royal Society, and the House of Commons.  Unless your friend wishes to assert those institutions made up respectively a fictitious student and professor, Master of the Mint, President, and MP, in a way not only consistent with each other, but with decades of other records.

There is nothing contemporaneous about Jesus, nothing he wrote, nothing he made, and the accounts in the gospels are contradictory regarding where and when he was born, the details of his ministry, and the events surrounding his death -- and none of which were written during his reported lifetime, nor supported by external accounts.  There are no indisputable independent accounts attesting to the existence of Jesus; everything hangs on the gospels and they are inconsistent and contradictory among each other.

Advantage Newton

Yeah what about socrates? Because im almost certain he will ask me how do I know that socrates and his philoshophy existed? Or eratosthenes. Because they lived way longer ago than jesus his arguement is stronger

Hydra009

Quote from: luke on June 10, 2021, 02:29:03 PMYeah what about socrates? Because im almost certain he will ask me how do I know that socrates and his philoshophy existed? Or eratosthenes. Because they lived way longer ago than jesus his arguement is stronger
By that logic, Borat is more likely to exist than Jesus or Socrates.

Also, we know about Socrates through Plato and Xenophon.  Erathosthenes was the chief librarian at the Library of Alexandria.  They kept records.

It's not like some unknown person came along and wrote about him decades after his death with obviously legendary accounts, like that as a kid, he sculpted sparrows out of clay and these sparrows took flight.

Cassia

Quote from: luke on June 10, 2021, 02:29:03 PM
Yeah what about socrates? Because im almost certain he will ask me how do I know that socrates and his philoshophy existed? Or eratosthenes. Because they lived way longer ago than jesus his arguement is stronger
No writing attributed to Socrates proclaims you that you must adhere just to be saved from an eternity of hell. You can value his philosophy on it's own merit. It matters not if he was a single person, a woman, or an entire philosophical school.

Socrates is just the strawman in your friend's argument anyways.

Shiranu

I wonder why it really matters if Jesus existed or not; it is his actions that should be examined, not if he did or didn't exist.

Jimmy Harding in 1789 once walked across water in the backwoods of Virginia and even brought a dead squirrel back to life... which detail is really more important, that a Jimmy Harding did or didn't exist in Virginia in 1789 or that he did these miracles?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

Quote from: luke on June 10, 2021, 02:29:03 PM
Well, no it's not.  He's the one who brought Newton into it, so by that alone his argument is broken.

In any case, we have multiple contemporaneous sources regarding Socrates -- not just Plato, but also Xenophon of Athens and Aristophanes.  Regardless, you are already entitled to expect from him comparable multiple external sources attesting to the historicity of Jesus -- and more than just single-word ambiguous mentions from decades after his alleged existence.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Quote from: luke on June 10, 2021, 02:17:20 PM
Hi. The thing is my friends says that the old testament with genesis is false and is the word of moses not god. He thinks that the new testament is correct and is bases on true facts.
If the Old Testament--and particularly Genesis--is false, then the New Testament is irrelevant.  Without Genesis there is no "original sin" that the biblical god had to sacrifice himself to himself in order to make a loophole in his own rules.