Rogue drone hunts down human without being told to do so

Started by Hydra009, May 31, 2021, 02:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuoteA "lethal" weaponized drone "hunted down a human target" without being told to for the first time, according to a UN report seen by the New Scientist.

QuoteThe Turkish-built KARGU-2, a deadly attack drone designed for asymmetric warfare and anti-terrorist operations, targeted one of Haftar's soldiers while he tried to retreat, according to the paper.

Quote"The lethal autonomous weapons systems were programmed to attack targets without requiring data connectivity between the operator and the munition: in effect, a true 'fire, forget and find' capability," the report from the UN Security Council's Panel of Experts on Libya said.
Rogue drone hunts down human without being told to do so

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TstteJ1eIZg

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Holy shit. It has started. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords. Long live the mainframe. Please don't kill me.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

We all know what happens when we go with machines rather than mentats.

Of course, when we DO go with mentats we wind up with mentat masters of assassins.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

That mother fucker looks like it came straight out of the robocop universe.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

These drones have to have a connection to their HQ, right?

Theoretically what is stopping a foreign power from either disrupting that signal to cause malfunctions or finding a way to hack into them and intentionally changing their FOF programs?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

The only choice when there are no good orders is to do nothing. I have friends who program these things for other purposes. (One of them tracks wolves in Yellowstone, three days up.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 01, 2021, 12:35:34 PM
That mother fucker looks like it came straight out of the robocop universe.
This reminds me of the very beginning of the robot armies of Gen. Faro of Horizon Zero Dawn. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 01, 2021, 06:31:08 PMThese drones have to have a connection to their HQ, right?

Theoretically what is stopping a foreign power from either disrupting that signal to cause malfunctions or finding a way to hack into them and intentionally changing their FOF programs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STM_Kargu

Yes, and I don't know what their vulnerabilities are.
*considers googling if it's possible to hack a military drone*
*my NSA agent leans forward in her chair, her finger resting on the "wetworks" key*
Presumably, they are highly resistant to that sort of thing.  And their very limited fly time (30 minutes) means there's a very narrow window for a compromised drone to do anything nefar...technically, I guess it was already doing something nefarious.  So...more nefarious.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 01, 2021, 08:43:55 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STM_Kargu

Yes, and I don't know what their vulnerabilities are.
*considers googling if it's possible to hack a military drone*
*my NSA agent leans forward in her chair, her finger resting on the "wetworks" key*
Presumably, they are highly resistant to that sort of thing.  And their very limited fly time (30 minutes) means there's a very narrow window for a compromised drone to do anything nefar...technically, I guess it was already doing something nefarious.  So...more nefarious.

Fuck me, I wish I didn't read that wikipedia page... everything about that is just asking for trouble.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 01, 2021, 09:40:17 PM
Fuck me, I wish I didn't read that wikipedia page... everything about that is just asking for trouble.
"loitering munition" AKA suicide drone

My favorite part was "real-time image processing capabilities and machine learning algorithms" combined with "its swarms are too numerous to be tackled by advanced air defense systems and can destroy a large number of targets very rapidly"

Definitely don't want to see those things crash a wedding.