Arts and Entertainment > Film, Music, Sports, and more

What do you do?

(1/3) > >>

Mr.Obvious:
Been wondering what everyone here does or did for a living.

Guess I've thinking about it because I got promoted to head social assistant nearly a year ago. I like the new job and I think I'm good at it. But I do miss my old position.
It's lonelier being the head of a team. A lot more draining to. It has great challenges and the added pay are nice though.
I think all in all the benefits outway the negatives. But I get nostalgic from time to time. I guess also because my last job was also my first.

Mike Cl:
I've had a couple of careers I guess I could say.  My major career was as a teacher.  I taught in alternative ed for 4 years and then taught inside a juvenile hall for almost 40 years.  I started my working life as a soldier in the Army right out of college--yeah, I was drafted.  After 3 years I was discharged.  Then about 10 years later was talked into joining the CA National Guard; was in for 3 and then transferred to the Army active reserve for 7 more years.  Now I'm retired and do my computer and the entire back yard (we have a corner lot so we have a huge back yard) is an organic garden.  Busy, busy, busy, but only when I want to be.

GSOgymrat:
Congratulations on your promotion, Mr. Obvious!

I'm a licensed mental health counselor and I've worked in crisis services for the past 27 years. I work at a 24-hour behavioral health crisis center and evaluate people who come in, either on their own or with law enforcement, who are experiencing a mental health crisis. I also see people in crisis at local emergency departments via telehealth. I enjoy my job because I talk to people of every age and every background with all different kinds of problems. I may see a family whose child is acting out, then a man who police picked up running down the road naked and high on drugs, then a college student who is suicidal because her boyfriend ended their relationship, then an elderly woman who is experiencing confusion. I like working three 12-hour shifts rather than the typical weekday 9-to-5. I also enjoy working with a team of doctors, nurses, and other counselors.

Mr.Obvious:
Sounds exhausting GSO.

We also see a lot more and a lot heavier mental health problems in our clients, these past few months. Corona isolation got everyone experiencing more anxiety and the likes. Had a client that ended her own life, a month after I took the new position, for example. (not that I think that was the reason why.)
Heavy stuff my dude. Hope you take the time you need for yourself as well.

SGOS:
Teacher and school counselor.  I've been retired long enough that these are no longer an identity that mean anything to me.  Just a part of a distant past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version