News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why Spy Agencies Say the Future Is Bleak

Started by GSOgymrat, April 21, 2021, 04:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Robotic text-to-speech makes me break out in hives, so I'm just going to link the actual report

Renaissance of Democracies is my personal favorite, and while it's within the realm of possibility, I very much doubt it'll play out that way.

Essentially, democracies in North America, Europe, and Asia experience rapid technological innovation (particularly in AI and biotech), a lessening of corruption, and a much-needed resilience towards disinformation.  They start booming and leave Russia and China in the dust.  This causes several large but weakly democratic countries to jump fully on the bandwagon and they have better-than-expected success.  These democracies work together to start seriously dealing with major problems like climate change and cybersecurity.

While it's not all sunshine and rainbows, this scenario is incredibly optimistic and beneficial for humanity as a whole.  And there's nothing in there that's impossible to accomplish.  It's just a matter of having the drive to do it.

drunkenshoe

Hmm...So if I survive the upcoming civil war, I'll be dead around the next decade anyway. I wonder who is going to invade here...

E: I've just realised this sounds pretty dark. Just being obnoxious to my surroundings in general, lol.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

My sweetheart is a avid boater. He says when seas are running 2-3 feet, expect the occasional 5 foot wave. It is the confluence of events that add up.

It just 'feels' like the competition for diminishing natural resources, mass personalized access to a communication channel that is modulated by AI, the human tendency to believe in bullshit, the polluted planet/climate crisis and sheer numbers of human beings living in such extreme ranges of governance, social wellness and wealth....all adds up to a giant powder keg.

If the waves 'add up' the wrong way....I shudder to think of what we are capable of. On the other hand great leaders often step up and guide the way....

SGOS

Nazi Germany came to an end 75 years ago.  Many people alive today may think we have grown well past that.  I don't think so.  I was alive when the Nazi's were declaring war on their neighbors and enslaving Jews.  We may well be living in an anomaly right now. We will only know 100 years from now.  Democracy is under attack around the world.  It may have run it's course.  I am not aware of any great movement to make democracy better or strengthen it. I see Republicans trying to weaken it, but Democrats seem to be happy that Trump is no longer in power.  Are there any bills in congress right now to strengthen our Democracy?  Everyone seems to be focused on which party is holding the reigns of power, while the fundamentals of democracy are in decay. Who's trying to fix it?  No one.  Everything in politics is about what party wins the next election.  This seems dangerous to me, because it doesn't address the fundamental decay, which is the bigger threat.  And I like everyone else, have no solution.