Author Topic: da History Quiz Thread  (Read 1726 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: da History Quiz Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2021, 06:40:44 PM »
In googling old pictures, the most common cowboy hats kind of resemble today's most common "rodeo style" hats, but look like they have been dragged through dust and swept downstream.  I don't know if these photos show actual cowboys or just dudes dressed up for pictures.  One article suggested the bowler Bat Masterson hat as common, along with some funny looking things worn by Billy the Kid and Jessie James.  However a comment from one guy who kind of seemed like he knew what he was talking about said the photos were not representative of actual cow punching cowboys.  So I'm waiting for hydra to settle the issue, if he can.

Apparently there are modern innovations in cowboy hats, probably mostly the work of Hollywood.  Those black  flatish Bad Lands hats that the bad guys wear, are kind of cool, but I don't think were common.  Having spent 45 years in Montana I've tried on a few cowboy hats in western shops, but I don't think they suit me at all.  I wear glasses, and real cowboys don't wear glasses; They just squint.  Then I take off my glasses, and I can't see what I look like in the mirror.  OK, I'm not that bad, but I still don't look at home in a cowboy hat.  Fortunately I come from the mountains and forests, where hard hats are worn in bars and restaurants, and cowboy hats are seldom seen.

Online Hydra009

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2021, 07:07:09 PM »
It's kind of a trick question, since historical cowboys wore a variety of hats, so there isn't one right answer.    Bowlers, derbies, sombreros, caps, and what we now consider "cowboy" hats (at the time, they were called Stetson hats after its inventor).  The last one really caught on and nowadays has become synonymous with cowboys, but that wasn't always the case.  It'd be like considering crossbows to be the quintessential medieval european weapon.

Also, a great many historical cowboys were ethnically Hispanic or native American and about 1 in 4 were black.

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2021, 08:55:33 PM »
Sombreros were popular. Remington's paintings are considered accurate insofar as I remember.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2021, 09:08:25 PM »
It's kind of a trick question, since historical cowboys wore a variety of hats, so there isn't one right answer.    Bowlers, derbies, sombreros, caps, and what we now consider "cowboy" hats (at the time, they were called Stetson hats after its inventor).  The last one really caught on and nowadays has become synonymous with cowboys, but that wasn't always the case.  It'd be like considering crossbows to be the quintessential medieval european weapon.

Also, a great many historical cowboys were ethnically Hispanic or native American and about 1 in 4 were black.
More stuff that our schools mislead us about, especially in the area of history.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent,
Is he able but not willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able or willing?
Then why call him god?