News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

da History Quiz Thread

Started by Cassia, March 18, 2021, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

In googling old pictures, the most common cowboy hats kind of resemble today's most common "rodeo style" hats, but look like they have been dragged through dust and swept downstream.  I don't know if these photos show actual cowboys or just dudes dressed up for pictures.  One article suggested the bowler Bat Masterson hat as common, along with some funny looking things worn by Billy the Kid and Jessie James.  However a comment from one guy who kind of seemed like he knew what he was talking about said the photos were not representative of actual cow punching cowboys.  So I'm waiting for hydra to settle the issue, if he can.

Apparently there are modern innovations in cowboy hats, probably mostly the work of Hollywood.  Those black  flatish Bad Lands hats that the bad guys wear, are kind of cool, but I don't think were common.  Having spent 45 years in Montana I've tried on a few cowboy hats in western shops, but I don't think they suit me at all.  I wear glasses, and real cowboys don't wear glasses; They just squint.  Then I take off my glasses, and I can't see what I look like in the mirror.  OK, I'm not that bad, but I still don't look at home in a cowboy hat.  Fortunately I come from the mountains and forests, where hard hats are worn in bars and restaurants, and cowboy hats are seldom seen.

Hydra009

It's kind of a trick question, since historical cowboys wore a variety of hats, so there isn't one right answer.    Bowlers, derbies, sombreros, caps, and what we now consider "cowboy" hats (at the time, they were called Stetson hats after its inventor).  The last one really caught on and nowadays has become synonymous with cowboys, but that wasn't always the case.  It'd be like considering crossbows to be the quintessential medieval european weapon.

Also, a great many historical cowboys were ethnically Hispanic or native American and about 1 in 4 were black.

Gawdzilla Sama

Sombreros were popular. Remington's paintings are considered accurate insofar as I remember.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2021, 07:07:09 PM
It's kind of a trick question, since historical cowboys wore a variety of hats, so there isn't one right answer.    Bowlers, derbies, sombreros, caps, and what we now consider "cowboy" hats (at the time, they were called Stetson hats after its inventor).  The last one really caught on and nowadays has become synonymous with cowboys, but that wasn't always the case.  It'd be like considering crossbows to be the quintessential medieval european weapon.

Also, a great many historical cowboys were ethnically Hispanic or native American and about 1 in 4 were black.
More stuff that our schools mislead us about, especially in the area of history.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Can you identify this guy? 45 years ago he was known to almost everyone, even if hardly anyone ever knew his name.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

gawdzilla sama Jr.

Quote from: SGOS on March 29, 2022, 07:21:31 PMCan you identify this guy? 45 years ago he was known to almost everyone, even if hardly anyone ever knew his name.

Does he, perchance, play a mean banjo?

SGOS

Quote from: gawdzilla sama Jr. on March 30, 2022, 06:49:05 AMDoes he, perchance, play a mean banjo?
Did I give too many hints?  Or is he still that recognizable?

gawdzilla sama Jr.

Met him a few years back, at a family reunion. Seems we're distantly related.

SGOS

Quote from: gawdzilla sama Jr. on March 30, 2022, 08:19:38 AMMet him a few years back, at a family reunion. Seems we're distantly related.
Holy Smoke!  What a coincidence.

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

gawdzilla sama Jr.

That's my cousins' territory. They won't willing move north of I-44. The people in Iowa say "thank you!"

SGOS

Quote from: gawdzilla sama Jr. on March 31, 2022, 05:31:25 AMThat's my cousins' territory. They won't willing move north of I-44. The people in Iowa say "thank you!"
Is south of I-44 where you grew up, like that guy in the book Hillbilly Elegy?  But I think that was farther east.  Kentucky maybe.

gawdzilla sama Jr.

Quote from: SGOS on March 31, 2022, 07:31:59 AMIs south of I-44 where you grew up, like that guy in the book Hillbilly Elegy?  But I think that was farther east.  Kentucky maybe.
I was born on the same day, month, and year as Lush Rimjob. And within twenty miles of him, rural New Madrid County, Missouri. I left there when I was five and moved to Indiana, and therein lies all the difference.