News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nashville bombing

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, December 26, 2020, 01:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on December 27, 2020, 09:12:28 AM
The unabomber mostly sent small bombs to surgically kill specific people.  He started bombing in 1978, but was not caught until 1995.  In 1995, a different bomber, Timothy McVeigh, bombed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City, and killed 168 people including children.  See below:

Yeah... I'm old enough to remember both. I forgot the second one's name or erased it from my mind.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2020, 09:37:29 AM
I was hoping for a point to your post.

There is a pont in my post. It's bizarre, Zilla. It is. I actually hope it is not really a suicide bombing and there is another explanation.

And I agree with aitm on that these things tend to trigger others. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on December 27, 2020, 09:12:28 AM
In 1995, a different bomber, Timothy McVeigh, bombed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City, and killed 168 people including children.

Ah, McVeigh. He was inspired by this book, wasn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Rg8V4g3ak

Isn't it great that this is a thing in our world?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 27, 2020, 11:45:12 AM
There is a pont in my post. It's bizarre, Zilla. It is. I actually hope it is not really a suicide bombing and there is another explanation.

And I agree with aitm on that these things tend to trigger others. 

Why bizarre. Any number of suicides by explosives are executed each year. This varies only by scale.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 27, 2020, 12:07:20 PM

And how easily a charismatic leader can use it to win approval and support.

Baruch

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 27, 2020, 12:07:20 PM

Not as good as Hitler's original ;-)  Yes, kill all Conservatives, John Brown is still mouldering in his grave ;-)

The Dems have nothing to worry about, being run by mad charismatic leaders ... they are the most un-charismatic people imaginable ;-)

McVeigh specifically, was radicalized by a charismatic heretic Christian preacher in E Oklahoma, raided (too late) and shut down by the FBI.  The Turner diaries radicalized many LARPing Right folk.  Like the difference between IRA and Sinn Féin.  The IRA carries out the terrorism with over-the-top sociopaths, but they rely on an infrastructure of passive supporters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2020, 12:25:22 PM
Why bizarre. Any number of suicides by explosives are executed each year. This varies only by scale.

A few things. Because it happened in the US. And the point of suicide bombing is the religious or the political message, isn't it? A group owning up to it just after it...etc. all that fucked up drill. 

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2020, 12:25:22 PM

From what I have found, there have been 6 suicide bombings in the United States; 3 air planes (with 2 of them failing) and 3 involving schools.

Two were in the 2000s, the rest happened before the 1960s.

Suicide bombings are not remotely the normal for America, I really don't see why you are trying to argue this isn't something out of the ordinary.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 27, 2020, 01:46:26 PM
A few things. Because it happened in the US. And the point of suicide bombing is the religious or the political message, isn't it? A group owning up to it just after it...etc. all that fucked up drill.

Yes, the cops will pin the crime on whoever, so claim a scalp.  Truth doesn't matter if the suspect is conveniently dead ;-)  Yes, Americans are totally different than Zimbabwe ... not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on December 27, 2020, 01:54:35 PM
From what I have found, there have been 6 suicide bombings in the United States; 3 air planes (with 2 of them failing) and 3 involving schools.

Two were in the 2000s, the rest happened before the 1960s.

Suicide bombings are not remotely the normal for America, I really don't see why you are trying to argue this isn't something out of the ordinary.

Most crime in the US isn't political, it is commercial on an individual or gang level.  The idea that political crime is divorced from commercial crime is delusional.  CCP and Tongs/Triads in China are unified since the 1980s.  The EU is tied with European Mafia, GB with British Mafia.  And the US is run by US Mafia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

It's the 5G goddammit, telling ya man...

Unbeliever

I did hear one report that speculated that, because the AT&T building was a likely target, Warner might've been a believer in some 5G conspiracy theory. But that hasn't been confirmed, as far as I know.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Jason Harvestdancer

It does seem the suspect (who can never be questioned now) worked in tech, so maybe he had a specific grudge against AT&T.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 28, 2020, 05:58:41 PM
I did hear one report that speculated that, because the AT&T building was a likely target, Warner might've been a believer in some 5G conspiracy theory. But that hasn't been confirmed, as far as I know.
It's the towers people are freaking about.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

CrowTRobot

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 28, 2020, 05:58:41 PM

I heard that too.  I also heard on NPR today that a recording of "Downtown" was playing right before the RV blew up.  And the neighbors said no one really knew the guy, he was quiet and kept to himself, that no one knew his political or ideological views. Apparently he had no presence on social media (at least that is what they are saying now).
Captain Renault : What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick : My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Captain Renault : The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick : I was misinformed.