News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

So let's talk SETI.

Started by trdsf, December 19, 2020, 02:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Mainly because there's this very peculiar 982.002mHz signal that appears to be coming from Proxima Centauri.  That narrow a bandwidth piques our curiosityâ€"BLC1 (Breakthrough Listen Candidate 1) has passed a surprising number of filters to get rid of signals that have a less exciting explanation.  Add to that the fact that Proxima has a planet slightly larger than Earth in its habitable zone, and one definitely pricks up one's ears.

Of course, as Jerry Ehman, discoverer of the "Wow!" signal warned, one shouldn't "draw vast conclusions from half-vast data".

There are two huge problems with considering the signal to be an alien "hi there".  First is that it is unmodulated, meaning it's unlikely to carry data -- it's actually quite a precise tone.  Second is that it hasn't been heard since.  They're looking for it, but it hasn't recurred.  It's unknown if it actually originated in the Proxima system, or somewhere along that line of sight further away.  And unfortunately it will remain unknown until and unless they can recover the signal.

Ultimately, it's probably not aliens.  But it is a tantalizing look at how the system works when they have a signal worth looking at, how they process and judge it, and how they're careful to avoid going out too far on a speculatory limb.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cassia

five of the 30-minute observations
Well, that in itself could be some sort of AM modulation

aitm

An the lumbering qualikog, blind by design as it lives completely underground, pushed it’s small anus up through the rocky soil and emitted it’s once yearly fart, a squealing screaming of air rushed through the small opening creating a reverberating rock sliding, quaking noise that shook the ground for miles and split the clouds streaming into the galaxy where who knows what it may collide with out there or what possible damage may be done....😁
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

WOW!

I hope It's Mork - Alf is kinda scary...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 19, 2020, 04:47:57 PM
WOW!

I hope It's Mork - Alf is kinda scary...
I don't know...................Alf was from melmac--hear they make great plates!  But Alf IS scary to cats.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

At least we know the world isn't flat, because if it was flat the cats would've pushed everything off of it already.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Well, while we're on the topic of aliens, I've had a rather intense debate with a friend of mine about whether or not it's wise for us to send out radio broadcasts and do other things that could make first contact with aliens.

She maintains that aliens are likely predatory and aggressive, much like us.  So such signals are tantamount to ringing the dinner bell.  Think about what our own explorers did when they made contact.  It would be much the same for us.

I agree that aliens would vaguely be like us, denizens of a planet or large moon - likely omnivorous generalists like us.  They'd likely have a similar aggressive streak as us, though I'd like to think that total war is an alien (get it?) concept to them.  And like us, they might've somewhat tempered their belligerent streak as they became more high-tech and learned to be a little bit more compassionate.  Because a superbelligerent alien race would never make it into space at all - they'd simply bomb themselves into oblivion.

Given the vastness of space (space is really BIG), they would have plenty of resources and territory of their own (as would we), so we wouldn't necessarily have to fight over it.  This galaxy is big enough for the both of us; neither of us would have any need to fight the other.  In fact, we would literally have to go light years out of our way to fight each other.  A rather absurd, though not impossible, situation.

Aliens wouldn't truly want our raw resources, the real treasure trove is in our life and its byproducts - culture and technology.  Because that's certainly what we're interested in.  Why come all that way to destroy when you can study?

And besides, our first contact would likely not be between us personally - but through our machine intermediaries - our probes - who definitely have no harmful intent.

So, instead of fearing aliens and going silent, we should do everything we can to be loud and noticeable to make first contact happen asap.  Because any first contact would likely enable a huge technological leap for us, potentially saving countless lives.  Imagine a new power source or new medical technology or new spaceflight technology.  It's such a massive boost that it's worth betting that the aliens we do meet aren't genocidal.

aitm

I am of the opinion that aliens, like us, once you reach the ability to travel through space have achieved a level of intelligence and curiosity to recognize that other species as well exists and that once finding them, are more of awe  of the presence than in domination and destruction. But...that is human thinking....gawd help us all....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

The Tic-Tacs don't seem very hostile.  Did anyone else watch Lex Fridman's interview with David Fravor, the Navy pilot who came closest to a Tic-Tac?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 19, 2020, 08:51:11 PM
Well, while we're on the topic of aliens, I've had a rather intense debate with a friend of mine about whether or not it's wise for us to send out radio broadcasts and do other things that could make first contact with aliens.

She maintains that aliens are likely predatory and aggressive, much like us.  So such signals are tantamount to ringing the dinner bell.  Think about what our own explorers did when they made contact.  It would be much the same for us.
We will be sorry we voted Trump out of office when the aliens show up while the snowflakes will be holding up welcome signs.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 20, 2020, 10:30:37 AM
We will be sorry we voted Trump out of office when the aliens show up while the snowflakes will be holding up welcome signs.

Don't worry, the aliens will give us a cook book, for Comet pizza ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

What if the aliens are enormous? Looking sort of like humpback whales; filter-feeding on stars, planets and asteroids as they slowly consume entire galaxies. We would get a few decades to figure something out.

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on December 20, 2020, 12:08:19 PM
What if the aliens are enormous? Looking sort of like humpback whales; filter-feeding on stars, planets and asteroids as they slowly consume entire galaxies. We would get a few decades to figure something out.

First Star Trek movie, and the old Star Trek classic episode?  The movie ... just don't sent out VYGR.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cassia on December 20, 2020, 12:08:19 PM

What if they're tiny, say, the size of a virus? We could already have been invaded and not even know it!

;-)
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 20, 2020, 04:01:15 PM
What if they're tiny, say, the size of a virus? We could already have been invaded and not even know it!

;-)

How can chips have slanted eyes? ;-)  Would be a terrestrial source.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.