U.S. Christian groups spent $280m fighting LGBT+ rights, abortion overseas

Started by drunkenshoe, October 30, 2020, 03:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-lgbt-rights-trfn/u-s-christian-groups-spent-280m-fighting-lgbt-rights-abortion-overseas-idUSKBN27C2MA

QuoteLONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Right-wing U.S. groups have put more than $280 million into campaigns against LGBT+ rights and abortion worldwide since 2007, almost $90 million of which focused on Europe, according to a report on Tuesday.

Many of the 28 groups - most of which are Christian - have close links with U.S. President Donald Trump, who is campaigning for re-election on Nov. 3, investigative website openDemocracy found, amid the rising popularity of the far-right in Europe.

“These findings show how Trump-linked groups have built a frightening global empire,” Mary Fitzgerald, openDemocracy’s editor-in-chief, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation in emailed comments.

One of the main groups is the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), whose chief counsel Jay Sekulow is Trump’s personal lawyer. It supported a ruling in Poland last week banning abortion in cases of foetal defects, the report said.

The ACLJ - shown through its financial records to have spent $18 million globally since 2007, 80% of it in Europe - did not respond to a request for comment.

Another major player is the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), whose international arm filed legal briefs against same-sex marriage in Italy and has backed Northern Irish Christian bakers who refused to serve same-sex couples.

It also opposed same-sex adoption in Austria and trans women in France seeking to legally change their gender by submitting arguments in cases at the European Court of Human Rights.

“ADF International is a global human rights organisation that protects fundamental freedoms and promotes the inherent dignity of all people,” a spokeswoman for ADF International said in emailed comments.

“Rather than engaging with our arguments, OpenDemocracy seeks to shut down debate by launching what is nothing more than a smear campaign.”

The openDemocracy investigation highlighted a lack of transparency among U.S. church organisations, which do not have to pay taxes, reveal their funders or how they spend their money overseas.

The biggest spender was the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, which poured $96 million into influencing foreign laws and citizens, although its spending is unknown since 2015 when it was reclassified as a church association.

Its president Franklin Graham - the son of the U.S. evangelical preacher - has praised the LGBT+ rights record of Russia, where homophobic violence has risen since the adoption in 2013 of a ban on “gay propaganda” towards minors.

The association did not respond to a request for comment.

Africa was the second most popular destination for anti-LGBT+ efforts. Several of the groups supported the death penalty for gay sex in Uganda, known as the “Kill The Gays” bill, which was overturned by the country’s constitutional court in 2014.

“Trump-linked U.S. evangelicals, funded by secret donors, are exporting homophobia around the world,” British LGBT+ activist Peter Tatchell said in emailed comments.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

How can this be?  The right wing, least of all good Christians don't want to tell everyone else how to run their lives.  It's the gays and lesbians who are preventing Christians from practicing their religion in the US.  Especially the ones overseas.  Why don't they just leave America alone?

OK, I was being sarcastic.

GSOgymrat

Conservative Christians have consistently been the enemies of LGBTQ people in the US. No other group has organized and used more social and legal pressure to stop the recognition of same-sex relationships and shame LGBTQ people. The conservative Christians pressure the Republican party to make this part of their agenda. In other countries, there are different groups opposing same-sex relationships and I'm not surprised at all they are backed by conservative Christians in the US.

Baruch

The Catholic Church has worked against this for over 100 years.  I think you overestimate the power of evangelical Protestants (who are disunited).

The majority of abortions in the US, absolutely and proportionately are to Black mothers.  This is the founding principle of Planned Parenthood.  Mrs Sanger was an avid racist who wanted to depopulate the Black peoples.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on October 30, 2020, 11:52:59 AM
The Catholic Church has worked against this for over 100 years.  I think you overestimate the power of evangelical Protestants (who are disunited).

The majority of abortions in the US, absolutely and proportionately are to Black mothers.  This is the founding principle of Planned Parenthood.  Mrs Sanger was an avid racist who wanted to depopulate the Black peoples.

I didn't say evangelical Protestants, I said conservative Christians. This includes Protestants of various denominations, Catholics, and Mormons. Orthodox Jews and Muslims are enemies of LGBTQ people but they don't have the power in the US that Christians do.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 30, 2020, 01:21:28 PM
I didn't say evangelical Protestants, I said conservative Christians. This includes Protestants of various denominations, Catholics, and Mormons. Orthodox Jews and Muslims are enemies of LGBTQ people but they don't have the power in the US that Christians do.

Any religious person of any kind, one could call conservative of course.  Liberal Christians I consider to be hippies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Just $280,000,000? I thought it was more. Is anyone surprised at this point that Conservative Christians are fucking hypocrites? They don't want foreign countries to tell them what to do, but they do want to tell foreign countries what to do. Big surprise.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 06, 2020, 08:30:42 AM
Is anyone surprised at this point that Conservative Christians are fucking hypocrites?
I hope this wasn't meant to be a special "BREAKING NEWS" flash:  "'BREAKING NEWS'  Scientists report that fish can swim!"

Baruch

People stir the pot, while the frogs ignore the increasing temperature of the hot tub.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.