News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Eternal Return

Started by viocjit, September 08, 2020, 12:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Eternal return (same life repeated) is one of the crazier ideas of Nietzsche.  Hindu reincarnation is based on automatic if delayed justice.  So horrible the Buddha had to find a way out.

Eternal return also means that in the large scale history can be predicted ... but this is the global activist template ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dalEPCHmvhY

Foundation, not 1984 or Brave New World or Animal Farm

The Elite expect an apocalypse, that is inevitable, but can be profitably triggered, which will lead to a New World Order with them in charge.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 09, 2020, 06:52:48 AM
My favorite author.

Granny Weatherwax is awesome.
Wasn't a fan of Equal Rites, but she grew. And she grew one me.

Mine too. Along with Ursula. Granny is great, isn't she? All of his characters are awesome. I love all the witches, Vimes, Death, Susan... Sweeper and of ocurse Rincewind,lol. I love Tiffany books too. If you liked the wicthes, you wold love those too. And Vetinari... That mirror scene is amazing though.

I have been re-reading some of his books from the Discworld series...I have forgotten a lot.

I've cried when he died. It affected me badly. It somehow always felt like he would live longer, you know, like he can't die yet. Ursula was very old it didn't have the same effect.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Vulcan

Quote from: Baruch on September 08, 2020, 05:15:24 PM
Individualism works, provided it isn't sociopathic, more will enjoy it
Sociopathy doesn't work, its self destructive, no one will enjoy it

I think that genuine (Thoreauvian/Emersonian) individualism is necessarily non-sociopathic. A true sociopath is socially involved, dependant on social interaction to enact his sociopathic behaviors and abuses on others.

A true individualist eschews involvement with society. A sociopath is best described as an interpersonally destructive person. In order to be interpersonally destructive, one must first be interpersonal.

Baruch

Quote from: Vulcan on September 10, 2020, 09:30:52 PM
I think that genuine (Thoreauvian/Emersonian) individualism is necessarily non-sociopathic. A true sociopath is socially involved, dependant on social interaction to enact his sociopathic behaviors and abuses on others.

A true individualist eschews involvement with society. A sociopath is best described as an interpersonally destructive person. In order to be interpersonally destructive, one must first be interpersonal.

Deep, as always.  I think then that an overly altruistic person can be self destructive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

I will return after i die as a king, or a monkey.
You can never know :D

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I could be convinced of an eternal return, but even if it were true it would matter not a whit, for without continuity of memory it's NOT the same ''us'' as these lives we have now, even if those lives are exactly identical to those we're living now.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 19, 2020, 09:28:23 PM
I could be convinced of an eternal return, but even if it were true it would matter not a whit, for without continuity of memory it's NOT the same ''us'' as these lives we have now, even if those lives are exactly identical to those we're living now.

Pythagoras claimed otherwise.  Do you deny arithmetic like a Democrat?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Pythagoras? He was a moron!

;-)
God Not Found

Cassia

Trying to imagine an actual mechanism for some sort of return. Certainly it can't be related to the actual molecules and stored energy that comprise your body when your systems fail and decompose. The simplest parts of you are re-purposed after the complexity of you is greatly reduced to basic elements and simple compounds. But what does that leave of your actual essence? A soul? Don't even know what that might be. A 'floating mind' with no physical enabler? Got a long way to go before I consider this proposal.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on September 20, 2020, 06:07:17 AM
Trying to imagine an actual mechanism for some sort of return. Certainly it can't be related to the actual molecules and stored energy that comprise your body when your systems fail and decompose. The simplest parts of you are re-purposed after the complexity of you is greatly reduced to basic elements and simple compounds. But what does that leave of your actual essence? A soul? Don't even know what that might be. A 'floating mind' with no physical enabler? Got a long way to go before I consider this proposal.
Everything is possible in the imagination.  But some people can't tell imagination from reality.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 20, 2020, 08:32:03 AM
Everything is possible in the imagination.  But some people can't tell imagination from reality.

People who oppose the imagination are philistines.  They hate Jar Jar Binks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.