Does Christian music makes you feel inspirational

Started by Kibla92, August 26, 2020, 03:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

When I was a Christian, it did that for me, yes. I used to be a singer in the youth band at a Lutheran church. We did Christian rock. Even as a Christian, though, I found the vast majority of the music in the genre to be boring. I think after the brief peak in popularity the genre got in the 90's, with bands like Big Daddy Weave, many tried to capitalize on that popularity, without understanding why people liked it. It was a fad that refused to die, in a vain attempt to appeal to younger audiences.

As for other genres of Christian music, hell no. Never liked them.

Here's a sample of something I would have enjoyed performing in church back in my teen years. He's clearly trying to tap into that Linkin Park type of sound, but it works.

https://youtu.be/HdnTSXUWd3E

Edit: IMO, I think the problem with 99% of Christian rock is that the artist is trying to make Christian music that happens to be rock. To me, the best Christian music, and the stuff I still don't mind listening to today, is music that is rock that happens to have a Christian theme. Like in the song above, it's not something you'd likely hear in church. Heck, if I didn't tell you it was a Christian song, you probably wouldn't even know it. Focus on the music first; don't just try to shove Christianity into a genre.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Kibla92

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 28, 2020, 10:42:52 AM
When I was a Christian, it did that for me, yes. I used to be a singer in the youth band at a Lutheran church. We did Christian rock. Even as a Christian, though, I found the vast majority of the music in the genre to be boring. I think after the brief peak in popularity the genre got in the 90's, with bands like Big Daddy Weave, many tried to capitalize on that popularity, without understanding why people liked it. It was a fad that refused to die, in a vain attempt to appeal to younger audiences.

As for other genres of Christian music, hell no. Never liked them.

Here's a sample of something I would have enjoyed performing in church back in my teen years. He's clearly trying to tap into that Linkin Park type of sound, but it works.

https://youtu.be/HdnTSXUWd3E

Edit: IMO, I think the problem with 99% of Christian rock is that the artist is trying to make Christian music that happens to be rock. To me, the best Christian music, and the stuff I still don't mind listening to today, is music that is rock that happens to have a Christian theme. Like in the song above, it's not something you'd likely hear in church. Heck, if I didn't tell you it was a Christian song, you probably wouldn't even know it. Focus on the music first; don't just try to shove Christianity into a genre.

If you mean this. Then i can see your point

Although music that has no message to Christianity in it "Skillet" is considered christian band. Maybe they just say they are christians in a band. But their songs seems to be about rock music. So always found that odd.

Edit: Although i do kind of have guilty pleasure of Petra from time to time. Which is a christian rock band though

Blackleaf

I loved that episode of South Park, and yeah, that clip pretty much shows the mentality I think goes on in Christian rock. The trend to copy what's popular to try to appeal to younger audiences isn't new, and they're usually a decade or two behind mainstream trends, because the old farts in church always hate new stuff, so they need time to be convinced it's not Satanic (or die, and let the younger ones take over). I feel like I can tell which bands are doing what they do out of honest artistic expression versus just using their music as bait for kids. Also, there is Christian rock made for church and Christian rock made for radio, and they are very different styles. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE-Krlqi4fk

Switchfoot was made for radio, with lyrics that weren't too overt with their Christian undertones. The song "Dare You to Move" isn't about praising God, it's just a song about living life to the fullest rather than going with the motions. The most overt they get is when the lyrics start talking about redemption, but they don't come right out and offer the Jesus pill as a cure for that. It was universally relatable, and because of that, it was played on mainstream radio.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Kibla92

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 30, 2020, 10:42:38 AM
I loved that episode of South Park, and yeah, that clip pretty much shows the mentality I think goes on in Christian rock. The trend to copy what's popular to try to appeal to younger audiences isn't new, and they're usually a decade or two behind mainstream trends, because the old farts in church always hate new stuff, so they need time to be convinced it's not Satanic (or die, and let the younger ones take over). I feel like I can tell which bands are doing what they do out of honest artistic expression versus just using their music as bait for kids. Also, there is Christian rock made for church and Christian rock made for radio, and they are very different styles. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE-Krlqi4fk

Switchfoot was made for radio, with lyrics that weren't too overt with their Christian undertones. The song "Dare You to Move" isn't about praising God, it's just a song about living life to the fullest rather than going with the motions. The most overt they get is when the lyrics start talking about redemption, but they don't come right out and offer the Jesus pill as a cure for that. It was universally relatable, and because of that, it was played on mainstream radio.

I can see why. Good song
First song i heard from them was We were meant to live.. dont ask me how i found it out first time :P
But yeah i can see why people like this.

aitm

Not as much as rap. Christian music makes me ill, rap makes wanta fuck dem bitches with the big ass booty (redundant).....ah seriously,  music inspires that within each that feels a need to be inspired.

Mike and the Mechanics song, “in the living years” always inspires me to call pop. So does “Cats in the cradle”.

Craig Chiquitos music makes me sleep, and I love it.

But nothing, no music ever made beats a good ass pounding thunder storm. That shit settles my very being, thrills my essence, vibrates my bones, removes anything resembling “negative” and replaces it with sheer delight. If there was a seven day thunder storm, I doubt I would feel even the need to eat.

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Kibla92

Quote from: aitm on August 30, 2020, 01:56:21 PM
Not as much as rap. Christian music makes me ill, rap makes wanta fuck dem bitches with the big ass booty (redundant).....ah seriously,  music inspires that within each that feels a need to be inspired.

Mike and the Mechanics song, “in the living years” always inspires me to call pop. So does “Cats in the cradle”.

But nothing, no music ever made beats a good ass pounding thunder storm. That shit settles my very being, thrills my essence, vibrates my bones, removes anything resembling “negative” and replaces it with sheer delight. If there was a seven day thunder storm, I doubt I would feel even the need to ea
t.

Rap sucks. Exceptions but often its not catchy and boring to listen too.

MF doom i think is talented though. And DMX is good though i dont listen to him too often but he is atleast good. Never was a fan of Eminem.
But atleast MF Doom i legit think makes good music. Its very rare for me to like Rap music.. But if its good i am happy to listen to it

aitm

Psst....I don’t actually listen to rap...jes fuckin wit ya boy.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Kibla92 on August 30, 2020, 02:06:48 PM
Rap sucks.
Well, I'll be damned and go to hell---you finally said something that makes sense--and is right, as well!  Keep up the good work!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on August 30, 2020, 01:56:21 PM

But nothing, no music ever made beats a good ass pounding thunder storm. That shit settles my very being, thrills my essence, vibrates my bones, removes anything resembling “negative” and replaces it with sheer delight. If there was a seven day thunder storm, I doubt I would feel even the need to eat.

Clearly a follower of Zeus/Jupiter ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

trdsf

Now that I stop and think about it, I do like classic reggae, which is kind of liturgical music...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 06, 2020, 02:18:56 PM
Now that I stop and think about it, I do like classic reggae, which is kind of liturgical music...

Hail Emperor Haile Selassie!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2020, 08:24:09 PM
Atheists don't have a spirit/soul.  They are empowered by their political messiah getting elected.  Power is what people want who have no spirit.  For a real spiritual person, G-d having power is sufficient.  Martin Luther said "a prayer sung is a prayer made twice".

What the hell happened to you? Seriously...

I remember when you used to try to defend your beliefs with something besides the crap you have been posting recently (see paragraph above as the most recent example). You used to sound like someone at least trying to sound rational. Now, not so much. 

I used to actually look forward to your posts, because, while I didn't actually consider them a logical or evidential challenge, they were at least fun to respond to. They took a little though.

So. I will dissect the above anyway.

QuoteAtheists don't have a spirit/soul.

Please demonstrate that a spirit or a soul exist. Please demonstrate that anyone, even theists have a spirit or a soul.

Please define a spirit or a soul, because, every time I ask a theist to define these terms, I get different definitions.

QuoteThey are empowered by their political messiah getting elected.

This is a complete non sequitur. How does this apply to: apolitical atheists, atheists in countries that don't have elections, atheists that understand that there are no such things as 'political messiahs'?

QuotePower is what people want who have no spirit.  For a real spiritual person, G-d having power is sufficient.

What is a 'real spiritual person'? Sounds like a no true Scotsman fallacy to me.

It also seem to fly in the face of the entire Catholic church structure; Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, etc, etc. Are you saying that no Pope or Bishop or Cardinal has even been a 'real spiritual person'?

QuoteMartin Luther said "a prayer sung is a prayer made twice"

Who cares what Martin Luther said? He was just a person who claimed to, without evidence, that a god exists, prayer works, miracles occur, etc.

Why should we believe what Martin Luther said, any more than what Bigfoot 'experts' say?
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on September 10, 2020, 03:23:34 PM

I remember when you used to try to defend your beliefs with something besides the crap you have been posting recently (see paragraph above as the most recent example). You used to sound like someone at least trying to sound rational. Now, not so much. 

I used to actually look forward to your posts, because, while I didn't actually consider them a logical or evidential challenge, they were at least fun to respond to. They took a little though.

So. I will dissect the above anyway.

Please demonstrate that a spirit or a soul exist. Please demonstrate that anyone, even theists have a spirit or a soul.

Please define a spirit or a soul, because, every time I ask a theist to define these terms, I get different definitions.

This is a complete non sequitur. How does this apply to: apolitical atheists, atheists in countries that don't have elections, atheists that understand that there are no such things as 'political messiahs'?

What is a 'real spiritual person'? Sounds like a no true Scotsman fallacy to me.

It also seem to fly in the face of the entire Catholic church structure; Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, etc, etc. Are you saying that no Pope or Bishop or Cardinal has even been a 'real spiritual person'?

Who cares what Martin Luther said? He was just a person who claimed to, without evidence, that a god exists, prayer works, miracles occur, etc.

Why should we believe what Martin Luther said, any more than what Bigfoot 'experts' say?

There isn't much activity in religion of late.  Except for the bit on religious music experience I posted last month.  Are you expecting my to argue?

I will respond to your specific points later today ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Simon Moon on September 10, 2020, 03:23:34 PM

Simon.  He has been this way for quite some time now.  When he first came to the site (I invited him--we go back over 20 years and several boards,  and he was one of the most clear headed producers of fact around.) he was quite sane and rational.  All he wants to do now is to piss people off and very rare is a post of his that makes much sense.  Regard him as our resident troll.  Personally, I don't remember reading his post anymore. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?