News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Food and Pleasure

Started by Cassia, July 20, 2020, 08:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 21, 2020, 02:06:55 PM
Does anyone make bacon flavored ice cream? That I would love to try!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_ice_cream

I couldn't find any easy to find, commercially-available bacon ice cream (except for some marketed for puppies, ymmv there) but it's fairly easy to use a bacon weave as the crust in a homemade ice-cream sandwich.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 21, 2020, 02:06:55 PM
Does anyone make bacon flavored ice cream? That I would love to try!
Actually, that sounds putrid! :)

But--Costco does sell good (well, decent anyway) already cooked bacon.  Get a package of that, crush the bacon and then use it as a topping for your ice cream.  Already turns my stomach.......:)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 21, 2020, 03:12:56 PM
Actually, that sounds putrid! :)

But--Costco does sell good (well, decent anyway) already cooked bacon.  Get a package of that, crush the bacon and then use it as a topping for your ice cream.  Already turns my stomach.......:)
The key thing is that the bacon should be candied in maple syrup.  Then it works unbelievably well.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Meanwhile, I've been bingeing on classic episodes of Iron Chef.  Forgot how much I love this show.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

At first when I thought back to being a kid, I remembered chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, but that seemed very limited, and then I started remembering things like butter pecan, and chocolate chip (boring by today's standards).  There were more of course, but it was still much more limited, and some are no longer around like fudge ripple.  I haven't seen fudge ripple for years, and maybe a few other ripple types, but since then there has been an explosion of flavors.  When I was a kid, Howard Johnson's, the restaurant, sold 21 flavors.  It was the magical unheard of number for years.  It seemed amazing, even considering I never went there to see the selection.  Hell, there's a gas station near me today that has at least 21 flavors at their ice cream counter on any given day, and the inventory continually changes with different flavors replacing ones that are sold out.  30 years ago a small delicatessen in Montana sold Baby Ruth ice cream for several years and then it vanished. That was my favorite back then, but I don't think it's around anymore.  I bought some Snickers ice cream thinking that would be almost like Baby Ruth, but it didn't come close to the way I remembered Baby Ruth.  And we we haven't yet even talked about Ben and Jerry's. Granted Ben and Jerry's is probably more about inventing new names for flavors, but I don't buy Ben and Jerry's.  It seems too upscale and fancy pants for me.  Those who buy it, I assume must be ice cream snobs.

aitm

There is only one ice cream for me. Ben and Jerry’s pistachio . I will binge that for 4 months and be done for 7 and hit it again....love that stuff.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

But as to the OP, taste it seems, as it should, has a higher context among omnivores than either/or. Some fish have more taste buds than we due to a higher and many times much smaller food item. One would wonder if pLants can taste differences in organic residuals such as the fertilization of a decomposing animal.
Non the less, it would seem beneficial if an organism open up its food supply to multiple varieties that a different set of taste “qualifiers”..ie taste buds, would evolve to readily recognize them.

As to the reaction of certain foods, one can suggest that a particular food associated with a happy or pleasant thought would generate a better response in the brain. Having a pb&j with mom will most likely result in happy feet, and as such would do the same by association in other settings, all things being relatively equal.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

IMO, the greatest food pleasure is having something work out either exactly the way you wanted, or better than you planned.  Dinner tonight:

- Put the wok on medium high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil to coat the pan.
- Add two small (or one large) chicken breasts sliced into strips and half a tablespoon of minced garlic and cook.
- When the chicken is mostly cooked through, added a handful each of frozen peas and frozen French-cut green beans, and one leek green (which I had the foresight to freeze a couple weeks ago) sliced like green onions, and a couple grinds of black pepper, a dash of ginger, and a couple dashes of sesame seeds.
- When mostly cooked, add 1 cup of chicken broth and a brick of ramen from one of those cheapo packages, broken into fourths, and a pat or two of butter.  Somewhere around here, I added about half an ounce of the dry martini that was accompanying my kitchen work.
- When the ramen is cooked, thicken slightly with cornstarch (if I used more than a teaspoon, it wasn't by much) -- you want the remaining liquid to cling, not solidify.

I need a name for this, I'm making it again.

Mike Cl

As a kid I do remember home made ice cream--mostly vanilla and a time or two, peaches in the vanilla.  Crank, crank that handle and add more rock salt!  Crank, crank that handle and then--omg what a treat!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Grandma & grandpa made vanilla and peach ice-cream that way ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Quote from: trdsf on July 21, 2020, 07:28:49 PM
IMO, the greatest food pleasure is having something work out either exactly the way you wanted, or better than you planned.  Dinner tonight:

- Put the wok on medium high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil to coat the pan.
- Add two small (or one large) chicken breasts sliced into strips and half a tablespoon of minced garlic and cook.
- When the chicken is mostly cooked through, added a handful each of frozen peas and frozen French-cut green beans, and one leek green (which I had the foresight to freeze a couple weeks ago) sliced like green onions, and a couple grinds of black pepper, a dash of ginger, and a couple dashes of sesame seeds.
- When mostly cooked, add 1 cup of chicken broth and a brick of ramen from one of those cheapo packages, broken into fourths, and a pat or two of butter.  Somewhere around here, I added about half an ounce of the dry martini that was accompanying my kitchen work.
- When the ramen is cooked, thicken slightly with cornstarch (if I used more than a teaspoon, it wasn't by much) -- you want the remaining liquid to cling, not solidify.

I need a name for this, I'm making it again.
Sounds great! The wok is such an ingenious piece of cookware; that shape. The more you use it the better it gets. I have also come to appreciate the good old cast iron skillets. 

trdsf

Quote from: Cassia on July 21, 2020, 08:51:38 PM
Sounds great! The wok is such an ingenious piece of cookware; that shape. The more you use it the better it gets. I have also come to appreciate the good old cast iron skillets.
A kitchen without cast iron is only a place where food happens to be made.  You won't need it for everything, but for some things there is no substitute.

SoldierofFortune

Food is pleasure, only if you are hungry.

To rest is pleasure, only if you are tired.

So sex, etc., etc...