News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is democracy a religion?

Started by Gregory, April 06, 2020, 12:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory

Democracy is based on the people which takes à little faith.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on April 06, 2020, 12:51:21 AM

Democracy is only for religious midgets?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gregory on April 06, 2020, 12:51:21 AM
More crap gushing forth from your fingers!  Where do you get this stuff--it's all nonsense.  Show me a democracy that is in operation today.  And any form of govt. works best if faith is not used, but reasoning and thinking are.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 06, 2020, 12:30:58 PM
More crap gushing forth from your fingers!  Where do you get this stuff--it's all nonsense.  Show me a democracy that is in operation today.  And any form of govt. works best if faith is not used, but reasoning and thinking are.

Why do you take this guy seriously?  Your responses show you might hurt yourself (fingers broken on keyboard).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Yeah, despite two warnings and a temp ban you keep pushing it. Try someplace else.

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GSOgymrat

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I feel like there is actually a pretty decent argument to be made here about modern democracy is in some senses a religion, since it's based on an inaccurate and fantastical interpretation of the governments of the Greco-Roman empires that is influenced not by the quality of their politics but the fact that they had the biggest stick and spread  their politics across the globe... as well as ascribing certain ideologies as being moral and others as immoral regardless of what actions are actually done by said ideologies...

But I don't think that was what OP was going for.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on April 07, 2020, 08:36:52 PM
I feel like there is actually a pretty decent argument to be made here about modern democracy is in some senses a religion, since it's based on an inaccurate and fantastical interpretation of the governments of the Greco-Roman empires that is influenced not by the quality of their politics but the fact that they had the biggest stick and spread  their politics across the globe... as well as ascribing certain ideologies as being moral and others as immoral regardless of what actions are actually done by said ideologies...

But I don't think that was what OP was going for.

Long live Cyrus the Great ;-)  Long live Boadicca ;-)

As my daughter says, the Greeks and Romans are overdone.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. -- Sir Winston Churchill