News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Bird flu is no joke.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H10N3  Fortunately, this appears to be a less dangerous strain, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  Hell, there was already an outbreak from 2020 to present, we just didn't notice it because of covid.  Sleep tight, lol.

But in general, given the frequency bird flu outbreaks and the high potential human deathtoll, bird flu is a huge threat and countries should be proactive in dealing with it lest we all take another yearlong staycation.  Fortunately, bird flu spreads by water droplets, so the anti-covid measures we all learned will work just as well against that.  The problem is that the same people who couldn't get with the program this time likely won't next time either.

Hydra009

In positive news, NC has finally almost eradicated covid.  Cases have gone down week by week since mid-April, and now we're at <700 cases/day.  All the stats are looking good and it looks like it'll be almost entirely gone within a month or two.

SGOS

I still wear my mask, but I considering shedding it.  Mostly I was wearing it to encourage others to wear theirs or get vaccinated.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 02, 2021, 08:55:13 PM
I still wear my mask, but I considering shedding it.  Mostly I was wearing it to encourage others to wear theirs or get vaccinated.
I've started to vacillate between wearing it and not wearing it.  Force of habit is still strong.  However, I went to a sit-down restaurant recently for the first time in forever and I hope to go to the movies whenever Black Widow releases.  Forget Loki falling for 30 minutes, that movie has been dropping for the past 30 months.

Mr.Obvious

We've been in quarantine. Officially since Monday afternoon.
Though we went into self-quarantine before the weekend, the gf only going outside to work.

The school she works at had an outbreak. We both feel like it should have been closed last Thursday. Friday at the latest, but they waited too long.

Gf's preliminary official test came back negative, she has to go in for another in about an hour.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

https://www.businessinsider.com/anti-vaccine-nurse-fails-prove-covid-19-vaccine-made-magnetic-2021-6

Earlier, she put the key on her chest while leaning backwards slightly.  Those close-up magic lessons are paying off.  Soon, the anti-vaxxers might be able to pull a rabbit from a hat as well.

SGOS

So what's so bad about being magnetic anyway?  There's the recipe that San Lee never really capitalized on for another new superhero. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on June 10, 2021, 12:29:02 PM
So what's so bad about being magnetic anyway?  There's the recipe that San Lee never really capitalized on for another new superhero.
Don't know about Stan Lee, but isn't Magneto magnetic?  And Iron Man's suit, isn't that magnetic somehow?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 10, 2021, 12:29:02 PMSo what's so bad about being magnetic anyway?  There's the recipe that San Lee never really capitalized on for another new superhero.
Yeah, I don't recall reading about 500,000 people dying from magnetism last year.

Hydra009

Texas hospital suspends 178 staff members for refusing vaccine

You know the comments are going to be juicy for this one.

Some context:
* Their work mandated staff to be fully vaccinated by a certain deadline.
* Almost 25,000 staff members were fully vaccinated by that deadline
* 178 missed that deadline (27 were partially vaccinated, 151 weren't vaccinated at all)
* 285 unvaccinated employees who received medical or religious exemptions and 332 more who were granted deferrals (presumably, 600+ staff members did not get the shot by the deadline and were not suspended)

Quote"I feel like they kind of bullied us into this little corner, like you have to do it or you don't have a job. This is my only source of income," Rivera said.
Wait till she learns about auto insurance.  At least the vaccines are free.

QuoteA lawsuit filed against the hospital at the end of May by 117 employees argued that Covid-19 vaccines were "experimental" and that Houston Methodist could not force an employee "to accept an FDA unapproved vaccine on penalty of termination or other sanctions."
Interesting tells with those buzzwords.  "experimental" "unapproved" used as scare words.  Classic FUD technique.

Quote"Essentially, Dr. Boom is requiring my clients to serve as human guinea pigs, and if they're not, they're taken to the door. ... There's no choice. It's all about coercion, all about pressure," Woodfill said.
Can you imagine putting someone else at risk and not giving them a choice?  What sort of monster would do something like that?

SGOS

I don't have a Hell of a lot of sympathy for those suspended workers and their complaints about their job requirements.  If I were sick in Texas, it would please me greatly to know that someone in the hospital cared enough about my health to remove them.

Cassia

I feel like a foreigner in my own country, most of the time.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on June 11, 2021, 07:22:58 AM
I know.  For the first time in my life, I look at half the country and wonder, "Who are these people?"  There were always odd balls and freaks here and there, but now I'm in a sea of them.  And I'm not sure if I belong here anymore.  But the other countries are getting worse too.

The New York Times did a thing this morning about how the internet not only provides a place for people to speak out, but for governments and autocrats to infect populations and how they have learned how to capitalize on that.  No most ideal form of government or public service is beyond the reach of those with an overpowering need to control.  They will figure out how to corrupt it for their own ends.

All those crazy people out there today have been manipulated by those in power.  Not all of course.  Some were that way already, but our leaders have helped many of them to become that way.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on June 11, 2021, 07:22:58 AM
That's a great way to put it.  I feel the same and even more so as the years pass.  This is totally unexpected on my part.  I have known stupidity was rampant for a couple of decades ago.  I just never, ever, thought it would come to rule this country.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 11, 2021, 07:41:46 AMAll those crazy people out there today have been manipulated by those in power.  Not all of course.  Some were that way already, but our leaders have helped many of them to become that way.
Not just our leaders, but ex-leaders and foreign leaders.  They pour money into bots, which somehow manage to fool real people, which starts a stupidity cascade.  The problem is essentially various astroturfing campaigns capitalizing (sometimes literally) on an easily duped online audience.