Last Samurai was a French story, not an American one

Started by Baruch, September 11, 2019, 01:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6m7WLmAUeY

Of course Britain, Germany, USA, Russia were all competing with the French for influence.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Didn't I say somewhere that the Magnificent 7 was based on a Samurai legend to begin with?  If not, I surely meant to.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 03:15:11 PM
Didn't I say somewhere that the Magnificent 7 was based on a Samurai legend to begin with?  If not, I surely meant to.

Yep. Based on one of Kurazawa's works (Seven Samurai, staring Mifune), which is in turned based on a historical tale as far as I remember.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on September 11, 2019, 06:24:12 PM
Yep. Based on one of Kurazawa's works (Seven Samurai, staring Mifune), which is in turned based on a historical tale as far as I remember.

Rings a bell.

*ding*

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Yeah - and U-571 was really about the British capturing a German sub but 'Murricans never let facts slow them down.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on September 13, 2019, 08:42:15 PM
Yeah - and U-571 was really about the British capturing a German sub but 'Murricans never let facts slow them down.

Americans suck at everything, just sayin' (sarc).  Actually the Soviet Union and the Republic of China won WW II.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 13, 2019, 09:12:55 PM
Americans suck at everything, just sayin' (sarc).  Actually the Soviet Union and the Republic of China won WW II.

I'll agree the Soviets beat the Germans to a pulp on The Eastern Front and basically destroyed them.  But in return, you have to admit that the US and Britain took German forces away from The Eastern Front from that fight.  Hitler thought he had France and Italy safe so could focus on the Soviet Union but was very wrong about that. 

When he tried to balance both fronts, he lost at both.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2019, 03:34:02 AM
I'll agree the Soviets beat the Germans to a pulp on The Eastern Front and basically destroyed them.  But in return, you have to admit that the US and Britain took German forces away from The Eastern Front from that fight.  Hitler thought he had France and Italy safe so could focus on the Soviet Union but was very wrong about that. 

When he tried to balance both fronts, he lost at both.

Correct.  But we won't admit to that in the US or UK.  The Anglophones were there, but in our morality play, we are always the stars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.