News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Baking - Home cooking

Started by pr126, June 17, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Bread needs a lot of kneading by hand.  But technology is wonderful!  I love my bead machine.  It does all the hard work and makes a loaf friends admire.

Seriously, when is the last time you made a sandwich to enjoy the bread?  I do.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on July 28, 2017, 02:25:25 AM
Bread needs a lot of kneading by hand.  But technology is wonderful!  I love my bead machine.  It does all the hard work and makes a loaf friends admire.

Seriously, when is the last time you made a sandwich to enjoy the bread?  I do.
Remember the old saying--Can't live on just bread and water.  Oh yeah, I can!  Love bread!  Homemade is the best.  But if one does store bought, then we have settled on Dave's Killer Bread--21 Seed variety to b exact.  For health reasons, we don't eat much bread any more.  So, a sandwich is a treat--gotta have good bread for that.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Deidre32

I made whole wheat pancakes today with blueberries. Sooo yummy.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 28, 2017, 10:59:29 AM
Remember the old saying--Can't live on just bread and water.  Oh yeah, I can!  Love bread!  Homemade is the best.  But if one does store bought, then we have settled on Dave's Killer Bread--21 Seed variety to b exact.  For health reasons, we don't eat much bread any more.  So, a sandwich is a treat--gotta have good bread for that.

I'll keep using the bread machine loaded with garlic and onion.  But Arnolds makes a decent seeded rye bread and I can't.  So I keep a loaf in the freezer and take a slice off to thaw once a week.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Photobucket has stopped 3rd party hosting. They charge $400 per year for that service, which was free up to now.
It is a take it or leave it situation. I left it. I have terminated the account.
Many users are furious about this. 
They did not inform users timely in advance of the change. Mind you, I would not pay anyway.

:shucks:

Sorginak

Quote from: pr126 on August 21, 2017, 12:32:17 AM
Photobucket has stopped 3rd party hosting. They charge $400 per year for that service, which was free up to now.
It is a take it or leave it situation. I left it. I have terminated the account.
Many users are furious about this. 
They did not inform users timely in advance of the change. Mind you, I would not pay anyway.

:shucks:

Yeah, I had to save on my computer all the images from Photobucket I wanted to keep and I found another image hosting site. 

I cannot imagine anyone paying that ridiculous price, and I believe they did what they did because they honestly no longer want to be around; mind you, there could have been an easier way to slip away into obscurity. 

Munch

coffee cupcakes! Really depends on the quality coffee you use, don't use cheap stuff, your cupcakes deserve better.

And you know the best part of these, because its got coffee in, you can't give them to children, because it would make them sick :)

Aww there there billy, its okay, you can have some fruit.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sorginak

I couldn't eat those cupcakes.   Caffeine is bad for me. 

Oh, crap, I should have pretended to be younger.  Too late.

Munch

Coffee cupcakes, No good for young or old, just us guys in the middle.

Sorginak

That's okay.   Those cupcakes are all yours.  I prefer muffins anyway. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sorginak on August 22, 2017, 07:46:34 PM
That's okay.   Those cupcakes are all yours.  I prefer muffins anyway.
Love muffins.  Costco makes killer muffins--huge.  All are good--apple spice, choc. chips, banana, bran...............just don't eat them much any more; this old body does not need all that sugar.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

pr126

I have diabetes, so when I do bake cakes, instead of sugar use Xylitol
It is quite expensive, about £10.00 for a kilo (Amazon).

So cakes are a treat, do not eat very often.

My blueberry muffins.

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on August 23, 2017, 12:13:50 AM
I have diabetes, so when I do bake cakes, instead of sugar use Xylitol
It is quite expensive, about £10.00 for a kilo (Amazon).

So cakes are a treat, do not eat very often.

My blueberry muffins.

I, too, have diabetes.  I had not heard of xylitol until now.  Does it have an after-taste?  Does it really taste like sugar?  All subs. I have tried leave such a bad after taste that I usually just go without sugar, rather than use them.

pr126

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 23, 2017, 09:13:40 AM
I, too, have diabetes.  I had not heard of xylitol until now.  Does it have an after-taste?  Does it really taste like sugar?  All subs. I have tried leave such a bad after taste that I usually just go without sugar, rather than use them.
There is absolutely no aftertaste, in fact, you cannot tell whether it is sugar or xylitol.
Looks and tastes the same. Use it one to one like sugar. 100 gr sugar / 100 gr xylitol.
One problem: it is not cheap. But, it is a treat, so it’s OK.

Caveat: it is toxic to dogs. Causes liver failure.

Munch

I'm diabetic too. I avoid sweeteners altogether these days, my doctors told me for what sweeteners do to you in the long term, you are better off using just regular sugars. Originally it was the aspartame in canderel. Then is was the Sucralose in Splenda. Long term these things are more harmful then just using regular sugar in moderation.
Thats why I switched to using a teaspoon of demerara sugar in my coffee, and only ever baking stuff rarely with sugars in it.

After my experience with the two previously mentioned, I wouldn't trust xylitol either, since both candarel and splanda marketed themselves on it being safe for consumption when they began marketing it, they had no interest in looking into the long term effects, and its only now we're getting the results of years of use from studies with the prior two.