News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus' Origin Story

Started by Blackleaf, December 21, 2016, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 13, 2017, 08:43:42 AM
But since you believe in a fiction, what else do you have to go on????
Actually I don't really take the bible literally. I do reflect on the teachings and parables and find truth in them. There is wisdom in the pages.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 13, 2017, 08:23:40 PM
Actually I don't really take the bible literally. I do reflect on the teachings and parables and find truth in them. There is wisdom in the pages.
I have read the bible and some of it several times.  And I used the Metaphysical Bible Dictionary as an aid when reading some of it, as well.  I found wisdom.  And I found some personal truths, as well.  But I could say the same of many, many books I've read.  And within the bible I have found murder, destruction, evil, lies, distortions and stupidity.  So, the bible, from the history of it that I've read about it makes it clearly a book of fiction.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 13, 2017, 10:06:23 PM
I have read the bible and some of it several times.  And I used the Metaphysical Bible Dictionary as an aid when reading some of it, as well.  I found wisdom.  And I found some personal truths, as well.  But I could say the same of many, many books I've read.  And within the bible I have found murder, destruction, evil, lies, distortions and stupidity.  So, the bible, from the history of it that I've read about it makes it clearly a book of fiction.
Well you might as well call all sacred writings ever written fiction too. That just isn't the case. They are not the product of people's imagination, but are inspired works. Historically, the bible may be not so accurate. But it isn't a history book. It is a guidance and book of prophesies and virtues. Man added in genealogies and other fantastical things in an attempt to make it undeniable, only making it less credible to many. I believe everything is in the bible for a reason, but that not all of it is exactly the Word of GOD per say.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 13, 2017, 10:23:09 PM
Well you might as well call all sacred writings ever written fiction too. That just isn't the case. They are not the product of people's imagination, but are inspired works. Historically, the bible may be not so accurate. But it isn't a history book. It is a guidance and book of prophesies and virtues. Man added in genealogies and other fantastical things in an attempt to make it undeniable, only making it less credible to many. I believe everything is in the bible for a reason, but that not all of it is exactly the Word of GOD per say.
Okay Pops--all sacred writings ever written are fiction.  ALL theism is based on fiction.  What the hell is an 'inspired' writing???  I'd call it a vivid imagination.  Prophesies in the bible--well, all prophesies--are lies; they were mostly written after the fact.  So, you claim some of the bible was added by men?  What part of the bible was NOT written by men???  All of it was.  Actually, the bible (all versions of it) were crafted from a huge amount of writings--crafted by men for all the reasons you would suppose they did it--power and money.  And of course everything in the bible is there for a reason--the men who crafted it were not dumb--they were pretty crafty and knew what it was they wanted--power and money.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Edgar Allen Poe all got their inspiration from a bottle. Did some of their best work "drunk as a skunk".
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 13, 2017, 10:23:09 PM

You really have to cherrypick to find anything worth reflecting on in the Bible. Unless you think it's a good idea for a rape victim to be forced to marry her rapist, or to make life-long slaves out of people in other nations.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 14, 2017, 01:14:48 AM
You really have to cherrypick to find anything worth reflecting on in the Bible. Unless you think it's a good idea for a rape victim to be forced to marry her rapist, or to make life-long slaves out of people in other nations.

Different strokes for different folks ... stick to your comic books ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 13, 2017, 07:53:59 AM
It is you imagining that all theism is the simple product of imagination that is the issue. How would one go about using their imagination to determine truth?

They cannot.

The Arabs also despise imagination, but think that the Quran is revelation, unique revelation.  That is of course, inconsistent.  There are no Arabs on Vulcan.

Imagination is a god-property, it only happens with living, conscious beings.  But if one is a bitter nihilist ... one can't enjoy even breakfast corn flakes.  Where did corn flakes come from?  A man's imagination, put into material form.  Dr Kellog, a scam artist.  Hey folks, it is scam artists, all the way down.  Everything is a lie, everyone is a scam artist ... waaaa.  Snowflakes aren't new.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 14, 2017, 01:14:48 AM
Get your head out of your ass and stop decieving people.  The old testament has some hard things in it. I won't deny that. But the majority of the whole book is profitable towards ones own direction.

Sharpen up on your misrepresentation of ancient law;

Rape was punishable by death.

Baruch

It is easy to judge other people, but we should judge their works, including their writings.  If some people are puritans, they will even find Gandhi inadequate.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

See if that worked.

I used to have the same signature but at some point removed it to appease others.

faith in selfless unity for good

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 14, 2017, 06:13:10 AM
Different strokes for different folks ... stick to your comic books ;-))
That's what the bible is--ancient comic book.

doorknob

Well nice and cute avatar pops! I like it.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 13, 2017, 11:18:42 PM
Okay Pops--all sacred writings ever written are fiction.  ALL theism is based on fiction.  What the hell is an 'inspired' writing???  I'd call it a vivid imagination.  Prophesies in the bible--well, all prophesies--are lies; they were mostly written after the fact.  So, you claim some of the bible was added by men?  What part of the bible was NOT written by men???  All of it was.  Actually, the bible (all versions of it) were crafted from a huge amount of writings--crafted by men for all the reasons you would suppose they did it--power and money.  And of course everything in the bible is there for a reason--the men who crafted it were not dumb--they were pretty crafty and knew what it was they wanted--power and money.
I would expect you to surmise as much.

Regardless of the misdirection of man, the truth still shines through the pages. Inspired is not synonymous with imagined, though the average translations seem somewhat off.

faith in selfless unity for good

doorknob

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 13, 2017, 10:06:23 PM
And within the bible I have found murder, destruction, evil, lies, distortions and stupidity.  So, the bible, from the history of it that I've read about it makes it clearly a book of fiction.

Not saying your whole argument was bad but I'm gonna be nit picky here. Sure it's semantics but the way this is worded implies that, the bible is false because of the " murder, destruction, evil, lies, distortions and stupidity". But we all know that " murder, destruction, evil, lies, distortions and stupidity" are very real things! They exist! As in that's not a good argument as to why the bible is fake. To a Christians that's not very convincing.

I dislike bad arguments because they hurt the cause. Not saying they can't be totally avoided but they aren't useful.

Be careful of your wording. I understand you probably didn't mean to imply it that way, but the word "so" and it's placement is misleading. I know that grammatically it's correct but not every one is a grammar nazi and the way you stated that is very misleading.

Sorry to point that out I'm just nit picky about semantics.