Theist:Why do you think God does not exist what are your reasons?

Started by John Paul, November 26, 2016, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 10:48:56 AM
It seems pretty clear this site draws mostly petty people who claim to be experts on absolutely "nothing"!  If you get what I mean.

Like you, for instance.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 10:58:49 AM
I had a student in a high school geometry class tell me that since the number pi is a non-repeating decimal, that God wouldn't make an important constant act like that.  He wanted something more orderly and more defined according to his own requirements.  I get the same responses from students when I give essay questions on tests!   The point is we put restrictions on God and even say God doesn't exist because we always put restrictions on who we want God to be.  But God still "is" regardless of whether or not we like His creation or how He designed it.

But the ego of the teacher should be more humble than that of the student ;-)  You have earned only two humility points so far.  Keep it up if you can.  Proper atheists do not claim to know G-d ... theists do.  It is incumbent on theists to know what they are talking about, to avoid embarrassment at the hands of atheists.  Very few who come here, to evangelize, have the humility to be proper theists.  I hope you can grow past your own ego.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Godis

I would sure like to see the real educational credentials of people like Blackleaf and Baruch.  Then we can determine how much their opinions really matter.  My hunch is neither of you have as much as an undergraduate college degree.  Give us some insight into your educational accomplishments (if any)...please, please, please.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 12:29:41 PM
I would sure like to see the real educational credentials of people like Blackleaf and Baruch.  Then we can determine how much their opinions really matter.  My hunch is neither of you have as much as an undergraduate college degree.  Give us some insight into your educational accomplishments (if any)...please, please, please.
Typical theist--full of ego and judgement.  And blind as a bat and can't listen.  And it would matter not what your degree is or what it is in.  In your case a PhD would simply mean piled higher and deeper.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Godis

Gee, Mike, and I was intending to leave you, sdelsolray, and Gawdzilla out of it.  You put forth the most logical discussion of anyone I've encountered yet, but don't get too overconfident.   

Baruch

Credentialism?  Why, how neolib is that?  If I know G-d personally, why do I need those?  Been mostly religious most of my life, and nearing retirement.  Do you respect your elders, boy? (sarcasm).  My ex was valedictorian at her seminary graduation, and I am way smarter than her.  Looks like it is time for ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2SvqhfevE
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Godis

College philosophy of religion classes usually square off immediately between believers in God and non-believers.  After the semester progresses, both sides eventually realize there is no way to absolutely prove whether God exists or not.  But one thing both sides eventually agree on is that believers in God are generally much happier with themselves than non-believers, and the non-believers tend to dislike the believers in God because they are happier!   My conclusion is that non-believers just don't like happy believers in God simply because they don't get the same benefit of being happy with their non-beliefs as believers get with their beliefs!  Amazing phenomenon.

Baruch

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 01:07:49 PM
College philosophy of religion classes usually square off immediately between believers in God and non-believers.  After the semester progresses, both sides eventually realize there is no way to absolutely prove whether God exists or not.  But one thing both sides eventually agree on is that believers in God are generally much happier with themselves than non-believers, and the non-believers tend to dislike the believers in God because they are happier!   My conclusion is that non-believers just don't like happy believers in God simply because they don't get the same benefit of being happy with their non-beliefs as believers get with their beliefs!  Amazing phenomenon.

You are a legend in your own mind!  Beware, pride goeth before the fall.  My happiness or not, has nothing to do with my religion.  I can always get false happiness from a bottle.  The video following my post, might be more your speed ... if you are a Modern Major General ;-)

Here is a very nice version, not the one immediately following ... a send up of pretentiousness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3dPaz9nAo

I am about the same age as the General, but my education isn't a pretension.  I definitely approve of the beard ... Huzzah!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 12:54:33 PM
Gee, Mike, and I was intending to leave you, sdelsolray, and Gawdzilla out of it.  You put forth the most logical discussion of anyone I've encountered yet, but don't get too overconfident.
The fact that you are a theist leaves you with not the tiniest tattered bit of an intellect that you believe (you operate on belief since you have not one empirical piece of evidence for your fictional god) you have.  You rattle on without the ability or desire to try to understand what another person is trying to tell you.  You are so addicted to your beliefs that you can't see past them.  And if you find the posters here so offensive or not your equal, why not simply leave. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Godis

I've hinted at my educational credentials, but all I'm hearing is the thundering silence of the uneducated.  Notice how the issue is being sidetracked.

Mike Cl

That hasn't been my experience nor the reported experience of a few people I know that took classes like that or similar to it.  The nonbelievers simply came away shaking their heads in befuddlement over the views of the believers. 

Personally, it is not the individual believers that give me any problems.  I am a firm believer in 'whatever gets one through the night'--as long as it hurts no one.  It is the hierarchies that grow up within each religion that causes the problems; that get people to do harmful things to those around them.  It is the hierarchies that tell people what to do and how to do it and what to think.  The hierarchies goal is to simply make the hierarchy grow--and nothing is out of bounds to get that job done!

Godis

I'm posting this again because it really says a lot about who participates in these forums:

Baruch

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 01:15:00 PM
I've hinted at my educational credentials, but all I'm hearing is the thundering silence of the uneducated.  Notice how the issue is being sidetracked.

The sound of one mouth flapping?  What is your interpretation of the first Gatha of Zoroaster, perhaps?  And answer in Persian, modern Farsi is sufficient, Avestan is not required.  Mine ...

چرا سردرگÙ...ÛŒ در Ù...ورد Ù,دÙ...ت زندگی زرتشت وجود دارد؟
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 01:15:00 PM

Papacy much?

PS if you back translate my Farsi, using Google Translate, it makes an error, do you recognize it?  Recognizing errors is very important!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 10:58:49 AMBut God still "is" regardless of whether or not we like His creation or how He designed it.
That clears it up then. There must be a God, whether we like it or not, because you said so.

I would sure like to see the real educational credentials of people... Give us some insight into your educational accomplishments (if any)...please, please, please.
Check my credentials, Bitch. Uneducated hick. But I can take you.

College philosophy of religion classes usually square off immediately between believers in God and non-believers... But one thing both sides eventually agree on is that believers in God are generally much happier with themselves than non-believers...Amazing phenomenon.
Citation required. I suspect this is total bullshit.

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com