News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New York bombing

Started by pr126, September 18, 2016, 01:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr. Pibb

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 19, 2016, 06:00:05 PM
Shit. We can't even agree on one for our little group!

Just use a qualifier, like revenge-terrorism, or religious-terrorism, or political-terrorism, or even-cyber terrorism, eco-terrorism if you need to. Then everyone knows what you mean. Especially if you go on to explain your position.

Arguing over definitions is irrelevant. The dictionary isn't even perfect. Oxford frequently differs from Webster's. And sometimes both fail to capture a meaning in all of it's nuance. Also, language is fluid. A word's meaning evolves through alternate use(misuse).

As long as the writer is clear about what they mean when they use the word, then no definition is "wrong."

I hate semantics.

I agree and that usually works for discussions purposes.  When the term enters the realm of law, politics, international relations, etc, having a single clear meaning becomes incredibly important.  For instance, the Patriot Act gives such a broad definition of domestic terrorism that it could include groups like BLM, Greenpeace, or any number of socially/politically active groups allowing them to be investigated by authorities. 

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2016, 09:25:44 PM
The official report is that there is no known motive as of yet, which I agree with. So either that is an argument against Pickled or it has no standing on what either of us said. And I would be quite curious to know what this "authoritarian streak" I have is.

At times ... you tend to fall back on the authority of others ... unusual for this kind of forum.  And you have at least once implied (I may be wrong) that you would like to be that authority, dishing out your justice left and right.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 19, 2016, 05:30:03 PM
Why don't we just agree that any word can have any meaning?

There is a job waiting for you at the DHA.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on September 19, 2016, 07:57:25 PM
There is a job waiting for you at the DHA.
Never heard of it. Do they need snarky people?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 20, 2016, 08:29:48 AM
Never heard of it. Do they need snarky people?

What they need is someone to come up with a snarky translation for their acronym, something that accurately reflects what kind of silly nonsense goes on over there.

SGOS

I'm sick of all the media speculation about Armad (Is he a Muslim?  Did he make the bombs?  Is he working alone?)  Aren't there more important things to ponder? 

I want to know what you think his best look is.  With a beard or without?  Bald or with hair?  Dressed up or wearing a black T shirt?  Do you think he intentionally gained 80 pounds for his surveillance photo?

pr126

The media is manipulating the news.
Reminds me of the Pravda as it was in the USSR.
They cannot be trusted.

drunkenshoe

I demand pr's pics in diferent hair styles and outfits. I'll make a scrap book.  :syda:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 20, 2016, 10:02:13 AM
What they need is someone to come up with a snarky translation for their acronym, something that accurately reflects what kind of silly nonsense goes on over there.
Like I said, never heard of "DHA".
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 20, 2016, 01:39:01 PM
Like I said, never heard of "DHA".

Department of Homeland Authoritarianism ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteAt times ... you tend to fall back on the authority of others ... unusual for this kind of forum.

Okay, I understand what you mean there. 

I would say I am unusual for "vocal" atheists, or atheists who would make it part of the identity, in many ways... so that doesn't overly surprise me.

QuoteAnd you have at least once implied (I may be wrong) that you would like to be that authority, dishing out your justice left and right.

Eh, I would say that's a slight bastardization of what I think. I would say that I think an benevolent authoritarian leadership is the over-all most efficient leadership since the morally bankrupt can be easily suppressed, and when they have the best intentions for their people it is thus inherently the best possible leadership. Even a shitty benevolent ruler is better than a competent indifferent or malicious democracy.

But again, that's all in Utopia.   
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 20, 2016, 01:17:44 PM
I demand pr's pics in diferent hair styles and outfits. I'll make a scrap book.  :syda:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

drunkenshoe

Morning to you too. Bad night, was it?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

PR - I expected more Black Adder pictures ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.